Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Got an itch to RV a little before hitting the old age home circuit. But when I checked the prices for 5th Wheels I nearly fell over.

A "luxury" 5th wheel in the neighborhood of 38-41 feet with 3-4 slides is running $100,000+ now. I remember a few years ago before the big bust of 2007-08 that they were about $60-75,000. How could they have taken such a huge jump in price in such a short time. Factor in a truck powerful enough to haul that kind of weight and you're talking an extra $50-60,000.

Then there's the cost of RV parks which are running $50-60/night + utilities and it becomes prohibitively expensive to even consider going this route. And we're not even talking gas at this point.

How do these seniors do it on a restricted retirement budget?
New 5th wheels are still selling especially ones built for full timing. That said used 5th wheels are a dime a dozen as the market can not keep up with the over flow of used units.

Why have the top of line units increased it price? Simple.....Because we the consumers have demanded better built, more residential style units which increases both the labor and product price guide lines.

Yes a purchase price for a new full time style 5th wheel along with the proper style truck to pull it can easily cost 150-175K. A higher end Class A can run anywhere from 300K to over 2 million bucks.

But many people spend much less then that by going with a used truck and/or 5th wheel or a used Class A.

Bottom line is people (many not educated in the field of RV'ing) believe they can retire, sell their home, buy an RV and hit the road living on pennies on the dollar compared to what they were paying to live in their stick and brick home. Sorry that is just not true unless you are willing to change financially how you are used to living. Sure you will see a change in monthly/yearly expensives on an itemized list but overall you will find that the yearly overall outlay of money is the same or higher than what you have been accustom to.

Fulltimers like myself will tell you it is a lifestyle change not a financial change that you will experience going from a stick and brick home to living in a RV full time.

Again everyone that is fulltiming does it differently. How you decide to attempt to full time would be up to your own personal taste. Some spend months at one campground without moving to get better rates, others move from campground to campground every few days. Some will spend their time going from one BLM location to another, others wont stay anywhere that does not offer full hook-ups. Some will "camp out" at a Wally World or another business parking lot while others will not stay at any location unless it is known as a Five Star Resort.....Some will not live an anything except the newest latest greatest RV, others are more then satisfied living in a 10-15 year old rig....who is right? All of them... It's how ever you want to live, but if you want to live this lifestyle because you think it will save you money, (not trying to sound mean but) then my advice to you is don't even bother
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:26 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
StealthRabbit, thanks very much for the boatload...er...RVload of info. The transfer fee of $750 on that Trails Membership is an "ouchie" but otherwise some good deals out there.

I think doing it by the month is much better than a few days here and a few days there. $375/mo is a terrific deal these days when you consider that you couldn't rent an outhouse for that.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
... We met a couple in AL that spent the winter there in a 5th wheel because the lot rent ran about $375.00 a month/included electricity and that was cheaper than heating their house in MI. ...I love RVing. We just bought a house though but I'm already planning for my retirement escape in just a few years. Can't wait!
Good data point... I am gonna try to rent out my spaces for $300 in 'mini' RV parks (3-5units ) with shop, indoor dining / bath / community room / gardens. $200 if you want to store and go... (fly / drive between parks)

I Plan some sites in We_t WA, TX (Hill country), NE TN, and SD (all income tax free states) and close to airports. (fly / camp... leave your rig, and not have $$$ daily travel expenses)

Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Got an itch to RV a little before hitting the old age home circuit. But when I checked the prices for 5th Wheels I nearly fell over.

A "luxury" 5th wheel in the neighborhood of 38-41 feet with 3-4 slides is running $100,000+ now. I remember a few years ago before the big bust of 2007-08 that they were about $60-75,000. How could they have taken such a huge jump in price in such a short time. Factor in a truck powerful enough to haul that kind of weight and you're talking an extra $50-60,000.

Then there's the cost of RV parks which are running $50-60/night + utilities and it becomes prohibitively expensive to even consider going this route. And we're not even talking gas at this point.

If that's the type/style motorhome/RV you're looking for ... I think it's pretty extravagant for the RV community and a type only people with $$$ are interested in purchasing.

You can find very nice 5th wheels for much less, and excellent TT as well.

Think about visiting one of the RV/Motorhome shows near where you live. I'm in Chicago and went to one here last February, and was surprised at how affordable they were ... offered for sale then and there. Substantial discounts. I think that's the norm at such shows. The trucks are expensive, no doubt.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
I'm no fan of RV's (Prefer tow behind)

But it's not hard to find places with hookups for around/under $20/Night.

I also 'pull over and park' in my Airstream...

Buy used.

$80,000+ buys alot of aspirin!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
We bought a used Class A when we retired (1999 - 10 years old at the time, 6K miles, garage kept) I think we paid $28K, as we weren't sure we would like it. We use it about 4 months a year and recently trade up to a new Phaeton, yes, expensive, but it has everything we wanted in it. Returned to the same dealer who gave us a deal we couldn't pass up. We do own a home also. We figure we can't take it with us and we might as well be comfortable. How do we afford it? 20+ years in the military, 20+ civilian career, pensions, worked hard and saved.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We bought a used Class A when we retired (1999 - 10 years old at the time, 6K miles, garage kept) I think we paid $28K, as we weren't sure we would like it. We use it about 4 months a year and recently trade up to a new Phaeton, yes, expensive, but it has everything we wanted in it. Returned to the same dealer who gave us a deal we couldn't pass up. We do own a home also. We figure we can't take it with us and we might as well be comfortable. How do we afford it? 20+ years in the military, 20+ civilian career, pensions, worked hard and saved.
Great reply!!!!! Congrats on your new Tiffin.... Been there, done that..... All I can say is I hope you like Red Bay Alabama......Lol..... Joke

Last edited by rtandc; 11-30-2012 at 07:49 AM..

Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Not all are, check out Casita's - well built and there are several folks who are fulltiming in them. Google RVSue, she and her 2 dogs have a blog going and she lives full time in her's and her van that pull it.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:

Yes, 5th. wheels are expensive, and the equipment required to pull one is too.

Consider a travel trailer you can pull behind with a 3/4 ton pickup truck. There are lots of options on those now as opposed to 10 years ago. You can even get one with slides to expand your living space, and still be quite comfortable in too, some are really decked out nicely.

As camper1 stated, many people sell their homes and use the money to purchase those 5th. wheels and towing vehicles. By the time a person or couple spent money on that combination, you're looking at about $100K. If you don't think you can afford that and the fuel, go with a downsized package, you'll have just as much fun.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Yes, 5th. wheels are expensive, and the equipment required to pull one is too.

Consider a travel trailer you can pull behind with a 3/4 ton pickup truck. There are lots of options on those now as opposed to 10 years ago. You can even get one with slides to expand your living space, and still be quite comfortable in too, some are really decked out nicely.

As camper1 stated, many people sell their homes and use the money to purchase those 5th. wheels and towing vehicles. By the time a person or couple spent money on that combination, you're looking at about $100K. If you don't think you can afford that and the fuel, go with a downsized package, you'll have just as much fun.
A travel trailer is a good idea -- and you'd then know soon if you're even going to be happy living in an RV and traveling.

You can pay off a nice travel trailer in no time and even the KOA campgrounds which aren't cheap let you stay for a month for $400 -- probably more in some but that isn't bad when you consider what a motel or hotel room would cost for a month.

I know a family who paid for a couple months stay in one of those extended stay places -- they paid over $1000 and had an extremely small place. A shower no tub, a tiny sink, a tiny microwave, a small cube refrigerator with no freezer, no kitchen table, and a room with a double bed and closet and no other space. It was up on the third floor with one window.

They would have been much better off in a 25' travel trailer which actually would have been a better layout and more room, plus they could have the outdoor area to sit in the evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing