Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times

Advertisements

We're getting really good at leveling! If you have a fridge, it's most important.
I use a level on the floor inside the TT and in the fridge. Just to double check!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,949 times
Even when the floor is level the bed never is.

We could spend all night leveling it and it wouldn't matter. If I can get the door not to hang, I'm happy. That's about the best I can hope for.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM

That would drive me crazy.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:04 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
If I were going to camp more often I would like to have something like that. Wife doesn't want an RV that you drive, she wants a travel trailer that you pull. It's a moot point since I doubt we can afford it.

Lots of people mention having your own bed is nice. Well my pop up has a thin piece of memory foam over an uncomfortable, small mattress. Not exactly what I call "my bed". It's nowhere near as comfortable as "my bed."

And I can never get the pop up exactly level. Which means I'm sleeping on a hill. I think I finally have it level only to wake up in the night because the trailer has shifted and now my feet are above my head. Ever try sleeping like that? Or it's uneven and you have lay so that your head is above your feet. Yeah, I really don't get the appeal here.
Nowadays thar are so many used RV's sitting around ( motorhomes, 5th wheels, travel trailers, truck campers) that if you spend the time looking around on Craigslist, "The Nickel" free paper, or your local paper, etc, most times you can find a used one that has been cared for & loved for a Deal of a price. This is what i see anyway......

Old 05-13-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Nowadays thar are so many used RV's sitting around ( motorhomes, 5th wheels, travel trailers, truck campers) that if you spend the time looking around on Craigslist, "The Nickel" free paper, or your local paper, etc, most times you can find a used one that has been cared for & loved for a Deal of a price. This is what i see anyway......
We bought a used one and LOVE it!

Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 PM

Hawk: Yeah, you're right, I just don't want to spend the money.

Something like this wouldn't be so bad but I think $9,000 for a used camper is way too high.

Used Chalet Alpine for sale in Mayfield KY | 2007 Chalet Alpine Popup For Sale from Riley's RV World in Mayfield Kentucky - Riley's RV World

Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
You can find some pretty decent trailers in the $5k range (~22-25' range).

There are plenty for $3500, you need to be a bit more discerning on these.

Look for one that has been under cover, and check the age of the tires, via the date code molded into the sidewall. (7 yrs max tire life, regardless of tread wear).

Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Our vehicles are a Ford Escape and a Nissan Frontier. That kind of limits what we can tow.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This isn't quite RVs but my husband was talking with an RV/camper place owner and he said it's no longer cheaper to camp, even with a popup camper. Campsites are so expensive now that it's the same or cheaper just to get a motel. Back in the 60s and 70s I tent camped across this country for practically nothing, spent a week camping in Florida every winter. Today that would not be possible--$5.00/night!
We usually camp in one of two or three different campgrounds -- Devils Tower, at the base of the tower next to the Belle Fourche River, or in the Big Horns, either adjacent to nice mountain stream or near (but not adjacent to) a beautiful mountain lake. If the weather is hot we head for the cool air of the towering Big Horns; if it's cool we stick to the lower elevation at Devils Tower. As I'm past 62 it's $6 per night at all of three. Without the fuddy-duddy discount it would be $12. Neither have hookups, but that's why we have a self-contained camper. If $6/$12 is too high, you can boondock (dispersed camp) on Forest Service and usually BLM land at no charge. We used to do a lot of that when we had a pickup camper; our 5th wheel is too big to get into the remote spots we enjoyed with the pickup camper.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Well, I guess renting a truck and RV trailer is just too expensive, too. I looked at local RV Rental places and they sure are expensive!

Art's RV - RV Sales - RV Service - RV Dealer - Rv Dealer in Illinois - Illinois Rv Dealers - Chicago RV Dealers - New RVs - Campers - Used Campers - Used RVs - Pre-Owned RV - Rv Accessories - Camper Sales - Used Camper Sales - Truck Accessories - Tru
RV Rentals @ Vacationland
Costs- RV Rentals Dealer - Class A and Class C Motorhome Rentals Illinois
2013 Freelander 28QB - RV Rentals Dealer - Class A and Class C Motorhome Rentals Illinois
-Our Rental Fleet
Welcome to 83 RV in the Chicago Ill. area

https://www.hertzequip.com/herc/rent...trucks+3.4-ton

With the price of a daily RV Rental you can get a 1st class hotel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing