Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM

19 posts, read 18,216 times

Advertisements

Looking forsuggestions/comments on planning a 3 month tent camping trip next spring across the United States—specifically from central Florida over to Los Angeles, up to Seattle, and semi-diagonally back to Florida. Google Map is showing about 8,800 miles, but I am sure that there will be more with many side trips. Altogether,it will probably be closer to 10,000 miles.

A little about myself, many years ago I did some travelling/camping in a mini-motorhome, but this will be the FIRST time tent camping, and this will definitely be the longest and farthest that I have ever done. Of course, before the trip I will buy a tent/gear and check them out on several short trips here in Florida.

Besides my wife and myself, we will be taking our toy poodle (yes, I know that some parks don’t allow dogs, and the ones that do, probably have restrictions). For the dog, we will have a carrier that he likes and is used to, to keep him in the tent while we are out on the trails when dogs aren’t allowed. BTW, the dog doesn’tbark or cause problems when he is alone.

We plan to see the major tourist sites/attractions on the way, as well as do some biking and hiking. We are in fairly good shape/condition, but we plan to start really working out about 3 months beforewe leave to get in better shape to do some long hikes and bike rides.

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions regarding this trip such as:

1. What to see?

2. Where to go?

3. What gear to take?

4. Reservations? Reservations are needed at National Parks, but how to do that on a 3 month trip when you are not sure where/when you will be somewhere?

5. Any other tips/hints?

Thanks,

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 07:47 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
There are beautiful state campgrounds all up and down the Oregon coast. As far as I know, they all allow dogs.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:25 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
This past summer, we did a bit of camping on the east side of the Cascade Mountains (north central Washington State). As many (if not most) of the campgrounds here are "first come, first served", those that are on the west side of the mountains in the puget sound region tend to be full up from Memorial Day until Labor Day.

You mention that you want to do this trip in the spring. A lot of places will still have snow well into the spring in a "normal year". If you are going to be up in this area toward the latter part of spring (mid-May on), I would strongly suggest thinking about driving over the North Cascades Pass. It truly is a spectacular road, especially that time of year when there is still a bunch of snow in the mountains. Another benefit of this road is that it will put you on the east side of the Cascades, which has a tendency to be a heck of a lot drier than the west.

I would suggest taking a look at the National Forest campgrounds for your time up here. The National Forest Service website is really good, and is frequently updated with road and weather conditions. Some of the NF campgrounds do take reservations, but most are first come, first served. They do allow dogs, so long as they are restrained in some way.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:30 PM

I spent 3 years in eastern New York state near Syracuse and we averaged something like 200 inches of snow a year. They called it "lake effect". I will be happy if I never see snow again.

Being from Texas and now in Florida, I much prefer warmer weather, and that is why I am waiting to arrive up north a little later when it might not be so cold.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:26 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
First off i have to say it sounds like a lot of fun. Don't miss out on the Northern California coast, it's beautiful.
Get a good tent and sleeping gear, a good nights sleep is so important. i personally like to sleep off the ground if I'm doing any extended camping.
Some of those blue tarps and some para cord will be handy too for when it rains.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:24 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Buy the backpacking tarps instead of the regular blue tarps--they hold up better and pack up tighter. But practice a lot before you leave!

Buy a good tent, not one from Walmart or the likes. Look at independent outdoor stores or REI.

I've always wanted to go to the state park in Arkansas where you can dig for your own diamonds. Cloudcroft, NM is great, but so is the Santa Fe area. Going by Cloudcroft means you can stop by White Sands NP.

The Grand Canyon has a dog kennel that is only $10 for the day. If you go through on the southern end, stop in at the Sonoran Desert Museum. It is worth your money and time. Be prepared for border checks throughout Texas, NM, and AZ, even if you aren't on the border. The best Mexican food is at tiny little mom-and-pop fast food restaurants or food trucks, not sit down restaurants.

I'm not sure a tent is the best place for a dog for many reasons, not least that it can get really hot inside.

I'm glad I drove up Big Sur, but I'm not sure if it's the best use of time. The northern Pacific coast is just as beautiful, if not more, and a lot less populated. I think jetting up to San Francisco would be a better use of time. There is cove filled with beach glass somewhere on California's Lost Coast that I've wanted to go to.

The northern third of Oregon's coast (Cannon Beach, etc.) isn't necessarily more beautiful or more special than the rest of Oregon's coastline--it just has more touristy stuff and is closer to Portland. Portland's Rose Festival is most of June, so it is difficult to get a hotel room around that time (I know you are camping, but a night in a hotel is nice every week or two), but the rose garden in Washington Park is amazing--Mt. Hood rises in the distance, behind row after row of huge rose bushes. There is often free concerts there, too. Don't forget the Columbia Gorge. Look at hiking back to Eagle Falls.

The southeast side of Mt. St. Helens offer hikes close to the restricted zone, even across the lehar flows. It is less visited but further, and harder to get to. There is Ape Caves--an old, huge lava tube, and ice caves, nearby.

Campgrounds in California, Oregon, and Washington fill up FAST. Like reservations months beforehand. Going before Labor Day will help all of that. Learn the dispersed camping rules of the National Forests you will go through. Always carry a seven-gallon jug of water with you. Dispersed camping is allowed on most NFs, and they have specific guidelines, which usually are along the lines of "you must camp at least 200 feet away from a road, waterway; not within 1 miles of a campground." It is free.

California mandates a free campfire permit. Basically, they want to make sure someone has gone over the rules of campfire safety. This is true for campgrounds, too. I don't remember having to do it on my first camping trip there in state parks, but I'm not sure.

If you can, go over the Lolo Pass from Idaho to Montana. Want more adventures? Try the Lemhi Pass (dirt single lane). It is beautiful.

Have fun!

Old 11-13-2015, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions/comments.

I am looking at either the Eureka Copper Canyon 6 or the Coleman Instant 6 tent. Plenty of room and I can stand up inside.

I won't be doing any backpacking, but day hikes and bike rides on the road/smooth trails for 5-7 hours.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:59 AM

I personally don't like the rain fly coverage or quality of material overall on the colemans and eurekas. We're a Sierra Design and Big Agnes family. But I understand the want of a large space. I've just been rained out on the cheaper brands one too many times. But you should be good for the initial camping time. I also don't like trying to pack them up and have definitely said too many cuss words trying to get the damn rainfly on.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I've had a Eureka Copper Canyon tent for the past 6-7 years,great tent,no complaints, love the way it opens up on all sides during the day or a hot night. Also like the boxy nature of the tent over dome type tents.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psd1f41f05.jpg

Some interesting touring ideas for California=
http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

Old 11-14-2015, 10:52 AM

You know what would be helpful? An electric cooler. You can plug them into an outlet at the campsite (whenever you get an electric site) and then into a cigarette lighter while driving. Also, maybe a collapsible cart of some sort. It's probably not needed, but sometimes the best (and only available if busy) campsites are walk-ins.

We camped at Whitney Portal last fall then drove down and through Death Valley from the west side. It was absolutely gorgeous! But camping at Whitney Portal is a bit of a pain because EVERYTHING had to go into the bear locker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing