Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:00 PM

10 posts, read 77,140 times

Advertisements

I could use some advice. I am looking for a small light weight camper. Trying to decide between the Scamp and Casita. Does anyone here have either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
No... Have a cousin that went from a Scamp to a Casita. Not sure why, probably they got a bargain on a used Casita. They used the Scamp for many yrs, and now are entering retirement with the Casita as their choice of RV.

There are many comparisons on-line, and a variety of reasons for preferring each.

What is your info?
Tow vehicle of choice?
All highway?
Boondock?,
RV parks vs Forest campgrounds?
How many days out / yr?
How many people / pets?
Need Genset?
Weather? (freezing or AC?)

Old 07-27-2014, 01:51 PM

10 posts, read 77,140 times
Thanks Stealth
I will be pulling it myself with a 2007 Dodge Durango
Some local camping and some out of state camping Ohio and Florida
No boondoggle
Local, state and national campgrounds
Usually from 2-3 days out, occasionally up to 10 days which would be the out of state
Myself and dear mil most of the time, once in a while we will have 2 grandkids 8 and 11 yrs old, no pets
Not sure about the generator
I don't want to camp in the winter unless it's in Florida, I might need furnace for fall and spring, will need air conditioning
I can't decide between the 2 because of some of the differences, such as.
The scamp has larger bunk beds for the kids
The Casita is almost 1000 pounds heavier and I will be pulling it over some decent sized mountains and am afraid of the extra weight.
The Casita does have an outside shower, the Scamp does not.
Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaja gypsy lady View Post
Thanks Stealth
I will be pulling it myself with a 2007 Dodge Durango
Some local camping and some out of state camping Ohio and Florida
No boondoggle
Local, state and national campgrounds
Usually from 2-3 days out, occasionally up to 10 days which would be the out of state
Myself and dear mil most of the time, once in a while we will have 2 grandkids 8 and 11 yrs old, no pets
Not sure about the generator
I don't want to camp in the winter unless it's in Florida, I might need furnace for fall and spring, will need air conditioning
I can't decide between the 2 because of some of the differences, such as.
The scamp has larger bunk beds for the kids
The Casita is almost 1000 pounds heavier and I will be pulling it over some decent sized mountains and am afraid of the extra weight.
The Casita does have an outside shower, the Scamp does not.
Any help is appreciated.
Based on this list, I'd go with the Scamp, it's lighter and has bigger beds.
You don't need a shower.
Which has more storage space?
Which inside lay-out do you like best? (where the kitchen, table and beds are placed)

LOL - and it's "boondocking", not boondoggle. I kinda like that

Old 07-27-2014, 02:53 PM

66 posts, read 220,188 times
Check out http://www.fiberglassrv.com/ and read through some of the posts. Also check out casitatraveltrailers.com for information on Casitas. https://www.scamptrailers.com/ for information on Scamps.

We went from a 13' Scamp to a 17' Casita 4 years ago. Both are well made. Depending on what model you get with the Casita, you'll add more weight. Also the Casita is fully enclosed in fiberglass bolted to the frame so the floor is enclosed. The Scamp has a plywood floor, and the fiberglass does not fully wrap underneath.

The reason we made the switch is the Scamp bed was 8-10" smaller in width. We also wanted a bathroom; the Scamp we had didn't have one.

There are also other options out there in fiberglass. Do your homework and I hope you find what you need.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaja gypsy lady View Post
I could use some advice. I am looking for a small light weight camper. Trying to decide between the Scamp and Casita. Does anyone here have either?
there are a couple of Casita forums that discuss the RV.....I've recently purchased one. They tow easily - helps to have a vehicle with factory installed tow package, though. I'd recommend 5,000 lb, but many use 3,500-lb towing capacity vehicles. As you'll see in the forums, many little old ladies have them and do well all by themselves in hitching them up and setting them up for camping. Casitas seem to hold their values and don't depreciate much - they're only sold out of Rice, Texas (new), but you can find used ones via the internet and might need to travel a distance to pick one up.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Interstellar Orchard | Lessons on the journey to full time RVing

She full times in a Casita. Has tons of info about it on her blog. Interesting and fun read too.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We saw A LOT of Casitas and Scamps at Glacier NP this past week. A lot less tents than we normally see.

However I saw a Subaru tugging a Scamp with Michigan plates.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:40 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
Threerun - that's because Glacier is major Grizzly country! Takes some big cajones to tent camp there!!

I know of another woman who full-times in a Casita, and she boondocks almost exclusively. Google "RVSue and her canine crew" and her blog should come up. Brave woman! Just don't read the post about the bear trying to get into her trailer.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:37 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
this is a good thing to purchase if you're consider buying a new or used Casita....worthwhile investment, imo.

Casita Travel Trailer A-Z Owner's Guide 2014: Eileen J Glick: 9781887780056: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing