Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 05:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,975 times

Advertisements

Well, maybe I'm dreaming about visiting Disney World, FL, - this Winter. The sad thing is that I'm alone, and would it would be odd going around that theme Park alone? It's something to do if I go South for the Winter, because maybe even Atlanta, GA is not far South enough? And I haven't been to Disney World since I was a kid back in 1976. No Epcot back then, too. Too much to visit now, so the best bargain is a 10 day ticket for $400 + tax! Yum! But that get's expensive on the hotel bill! Hence, I'll stealth camp!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/

But anyway, have any of your ever RV vacationed in Orlando, FL and the Disneyland Theme Park? The campsite there is $52.00 ++ a night, and I just don't want to do that! Has anyone here have any experience with the campground?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/#/campground

Maybe I'll stealth camp in the theme park parking lot, can people stay overnight in their vehicle there? Or else I'd have to stealth camp in Orlando FL, but there are around 7 Planetfitness locations around there anyway, too!

But yum, the idea is that THE MONEY I SAVE ON NOT GOING TO THE HOTELS OR $52+ / NIGHT CAMPSITE WILL GO TOWARDS FOOD AND SOUVENIRS!

Old 08-18-2016, 07:23 AM

956 posts, read 745,592 times
I may come visit if your solar panels can charge my Flux Capacitor enough for my time jump, if not then
I'll just ride my unicorn down.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:46 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times
Going to WDW alone would not be for most people, but if you think you'd still enjoy yourself go for it! I will say that the campground is amazing, and the best campground I have ever stayed in. They have direct access to the Magic Kingdom via a ferry, and bus transportation to the other parks or Tickets and Transportation. In my opinion, it's the best place to stay if you have a nice camper.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:56 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,022,500 times
Disney is a fun place, but it's not cheap especially during the winter months as that is their peak season and during their peak season 52 dollar a night campsites are as rare as big foot sightings (but I'm sure you have BS stories about Bigfoot also).

The wife and I have stayed at Fort Wildneress several times, the last being two years ago during Xmas/New Years and it was like 150 a night for a premium site plus you have to add 12.5 percent tax so it worked put to be about 170 a night. During that time of year the campground is booked solid with a waiting list so you need to make reservations well in advance to get a spot during the holidays. FYI Disney makes reservations up to 499 days in advance. That means people wanting to stay and celebrate the ringing in of 2018 will be booking in like two weeks from today.

Now that said the camping fee at the campground can be different almost nightly, based on the day of the week, weekends, popular times, time of the month, holidays etc.but that all will be discussed at the time you book your stay. I don't know if the 2017 prices are out yet but you can bet they will go up. But if you want to play, you got to pay and nothing is cheap at Disney

The campground itself is nice, something like 800 sites. It consist of a bunch of various loops, some nicer than others based on how much you want to pay, what kind of rv you have, if you have pets etc. It has areas that are just for tents and pop ups all the way to premium sites that offer plenty of room for 45 foot class A rigs. Renting or bringing your own golf cart or bicycle is highly recommended to get around. You do have the use of Dinseys transportation right from the campground (buses, water taxes etc)

No you can not "camp" in the parking lots, it's like any other major theme park, it has gated entry. The parking lots open at a certain time every day just like they close every day at a certain time. If you are not a guest staying on Disney property parking is around 20-25 bucks a day. It's not uncommon for cars to start lining up 2 or more hours before the gates open in the morning, that's why it's smart to pay the money to stay on site.

Last edited by rtandc; 08-18-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 02:52 PM

Gee, if I have my Stealth RV cargo trailer by then, maybe I'll stealth camp offsite, and park maybe 5 to 10 miles away from WDW and either take public transportation or ride a commuter road bike to there. I am writing a book on biking for transportation, and zipping past 2 hrs of traffic waiting to go to WDW would make an awesome pic. In fact, I had biked down EDSA in Manila, and going from MegaMall to my 2nd House at Visayas and Congressional - took me a 45 minute bike ride vs 2.5 hrs by bus [heavy traffic and you're packed like sardines in a bus].

Old 09-04-2016, 10:03 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Gee, if I have my Stealth RV cargo trailer by then, maybe I'll stealth camp offsite, and park maybe 5 to 10 miles away from WDW and either take public transportation or ride a commuter road bike to there. I am writing a book on biking for transportation, and zipping past 2 hrs of traffic waiting to go to WDW would make an awesome pic. In fact, I had biked down EDSA in Manila, and going from MegaMall to my 2nd House at Visayas and Congressional - took me a 45 minute bike ride vs 2.5 hrs by bus [heavy traffic and you're packed like sardines in a bus].
Yeah, and maybe Walt Disney will ride down from heaven on a flying unicorn and scatter pixie dust in front of you. The Orlando area is the hardest place in the world for "stealth camping" because if the local authorities made it easy, then everyone would be stealth camping. And as for riding a bicycle into the Magic Kingdom....fuggedaboutit. It's not permitted to ride on the Disney access roads to start out with and you'd probably end up as a grease spot on the road if you did try. People trying to get into the parking lots before rope drop, while trying to read a map and scream at the kids in the back seat aren't looking out for bicyclists.

But you just go ahead and dream. That's what Disney was built on. If it worked for Walt, why wouldn't it work for you?

Old 09-07-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
I may come visit if your solar panels can charge my Flux Capacitor enough for my time jump, if not then
I'll just ride my unicorn down.
My Flux Capacitor, I don't know how my mystery machine works. It's a Blue OX Alladin Tow Bar that tows my 1999 Honda Civic HX.

But I do have 1200 W of solar panels to power all of my various laptops.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:04 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,129,640 times
Here's a funny thing about Disney World.... you can find cheaper hotels in Kissimmee than campgrounds. I'm sure they would let you park your setup in their parking lot if you had a room. Hotels Tonight is a great app to find nice places at great rates. We would stay at the Seralago Hotel in Kissimmee, sometimes for $30 a night with free breakfast. They have deals all the time.

Ft. Wilderness is super nice, as it should be, it is a Disney Property.

Honestly, trying to Disney cheap is hard. Now, you can pay for parking, go enjoy the park and then when done go park in the St. Cloud, FL Walmart parking lot for the night.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:50 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,113,000 times
Disney is more fun with someone to enjoy it with, but you can still have fun by yourself. However, I honestly don't see any way you can get out of paying for a camp site. I can assure you there is no way to be stealthy on Disney property. And if you don't stay on their camp ground, you'll have to pay to park there each day and leave when the Park closes. Sure you could park elsewhere, but then you'll have to pay a cab or Uber drive to drive you in. 50 dollars a day isn't all that much IMO.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 AM

91 posts, read 63,053 times
Any updates on stealth boondocking?

This sounds very interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing