Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 02:12 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times

Advertisements

I'm familiar with this although we have never done it. More and more of the stores are not allowing parking, since many people can't follow simple rules.

We lived in the Tucson area for some time, and the one on our side of town finally put a stop to it. People would leave bags of trash outside their RVs and drive away, and the bold ones would empty their holding tanks onto the parking lot. Some of the larger units left indentations in the black top. People put out their slides, lawn chairs and some barbeque.

Many areas can be dangerous. A security guard can only move so fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 12:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Do realize that a lot of towns and cities do NOT allow you to park your RV overnight at Walmart. I would advise that you check it out before arriving.
This is true, and it's apparently up to each individual store manager as to whether or not you can park for the night.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:40 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
We have stopped at a Wal Mart for a couple of hours or less, on occasion. One time we were moving our family across country with multiple animals and we were hit with bad weather forcing us to take a detour that increased our trip time drastically.

We had been driving for thirteen or more hours and through bad weather. I was exhausted and no motel was going to allow us to stay with two large dogs, two cats, and various other small animals. We found a Walmart and slept for an hour or so before it got so cold that we woke up and moved on.

Another time we were driving through the night and my husband started getting tired. Rather than drowsy driving we stopped at the nearest town that happened to have a Wal Mart. We crashed out in our trailer, no slides, no.leaving a trace that we were there, got some zz's and we were back on our way a couple of hours later. We parked in the side lot where the other big trucks and RV's were so we'd be out of the way.

We'd prefer to stop at a rest stop, but sometimes they are few and far between. Utah is very concerned about drowsy drivers and they have multiple signs reminding people to.pull off and get some sleep. They have a good amount of rest stops along the I-15 which is wonderful!

Old 12-10-2017, 07:49 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
I like researching stuff and recently I have been looking at converting a van or cargo trailer into a camper for retirement travel. I have always been intrigued at the Walmart idea, I mean paying $40-$50 a night for a campsite is pretty ridiculous when you can get a cheap motel room for that price.

Then I realized my dream retirement is probably not sleeping in a van in a Walmart parking lot. I would be concerned about safety, not sure I could relax and fall to sleep. I have never been to ours late at night, I guess if there are several RVs camped I would feel a little better. But alone in an abandoned parking lot? Probably not.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:46 PM

61 posts, read 90,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Quite to the contrary... I am ALWAYS happy to see people 'resting' from driving !.

I was / am always surprised when occupants don't get killed in RV crashes. There is always a really big mess and when you show up first... you wonder how many kids are strewn through the wreckage. Overhead campers of yesteryear were my greatest fear as you saw multiple kids peering out the overhead window, then happen upon a 'rollover' and wonder how the kids survived.
Yes, this! I've mentioned on my thread that I used to live near the crossroads of I-81 and I-77, and there was always a totally demolished camper strewn about the medians!

Old 12-13-2017, 05:44 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
We know about staying in them but would only do so as a last resort. We take trips for two months at a time usually across the country and we’ve never had a problem finding KOA’s right off the interstates with hookups and quiet.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:16 AM

956 posts, read 745,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
We know about staying in them but would only do so as a last resort. We take trips for two months at a time usually across the country and we’ve never had a problem finding KOA’s right off the interstates with hookups and quiet.
While true, I've been in KOA's that charge $70 a night compared to Wal Mart at nothing. I would rather spend that saved money at my destination or just save it.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:02 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
While true, I've been in KOA's that charge $70 a night compared to Wal Mart at nothing. I would rather spend that saved money at my destination or just save it.
We mostly find KOA Journey campgrounds that seem to run $30-$40 a night and are quiet and safe, with full hookups.
The little extra is worth it to us, but to each his own.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:48 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"I mean paying $40-$50 a night for a campsite is pretty ridiculous when you can get a cheap motel room for that price."...if you're not careful, you can get a lot more than you bargain for in a cheap motel.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-19-2017, 10:58 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I mean paying $40-$50 a night for a campsite is pretty ridiculous when you can get a cheap motel room for that price."...if you're not careful, you can get a lot more than you bargain for in a cheap motel.

Regards
Gemstone1
And you don't have to breathe that nursing home air freshener that cheap motels use. Gack, I hate that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing