Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 42,176 times

Advertisements

What experiences have folks had with renting RVs? Looks like the 2 big players are El Monte and Cruise America. I see quite a view negative experiences for both of them. BBB has 0 complaints filed against El Monte and like 40 something against CA. Let me know if you have had any experience with either or have heard of any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:22 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
i'm interested in replies as well.... this is something i want to try soon!

Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
National companies are ok, but you might be better off renting from one of your local RV dealers, most any average size RV sale center rents RV's

Old 08-14-2010, 10:01 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Not familiar with El Monte, but I've seen dozens of Cruise America rentals over the last few years.

Some of them were in tip top shape, but many were plagued with mechanical issues, faulty equipment, or just plain missing equipment. Not real impressive considering the price of the these rentals.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:55 AM

just curious, if you are plagued with this many issues why do you continue to rent from them? Not trying to be difficult just really curious. How is Cruise America at dealing with issues that you call in about?

Old 08-16-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathor View Post
just curious, if you are plagued with this many issues why do you continue to rent from them? Not trying to be difficult just really curious. How is Cruise America at dealing with issues that you call in about?

Ummmmm, I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding.

My contact with Cruise America isn't as a consumer -- it's as the owner of a summer resort which has an RV component.

That said, I've seen numerous Cruise America units with faults, or units with inadequate equipment rented out to hapless, inexperienced tourist who have to then take time out of their limited holiday itinerary to get their unit put right.

In comparison, units rented from Canadian companies like Owasco or Fraserway seldom have these issues in my experience.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:15 AM

Gotcha. So from all the information that I have gathered it would seem that going through a local dealer is a much better option than rolling the dice with EM or CA.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathor View Post
Gotcha. So from all the information that I have gathered it would seem that going through a local dealer is a much better option than rolling the dice with EM or CA.

Perhaps, but keep in mind that a large outfit like CA has a lot of units on the road ---- more units equals more complaints.

Sort of like UHaul, I guess.......lottsa complaints, but lottsa successful moves which no one hears about.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:44 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
I rented from CA when I needed to move myself, 4 big dogs and a cat from CA to VA. Got very lucky, they have units going from dealers to headquarters in Mesa, AZ to be refurbished and then going back out again to the dealers. Got a unit at the dealership in Oakland (about 10 minutes from my old home) going in for just 29 dollars a day, no mileage fee and 6 days to get it to them in Mesa. Then in Mesa picked up another unit that was done and needed to go to Manassas in VA. It was just $49 per day, again no mileage fee and 9 days to drop it in NoVA.

Had a friend go with me and he did most of the driving. Came across country in January. The only problem we encountered was that the unit leaving AZ had no license plate. They FedEX'd the plates to a dealer in Albequeque and it was just a brief stop to get them installed. Everything worked fine in both units.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 AM

OK, I went out and looked at a local dealer. The thing I liked about this one is that they only have 2 units and both of them were on the lot. So I got to actually look through the unit well before the trip. We are not headed out until Mid October so I will let you guys know how the experience goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing