Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 10:18 AM

616 posts, read 341,782 times

Advertisements

Upgrading from towing a trailer to a smaller class C motorhome. I don't want to have to tow a vehicle. Thoughts on use of bikes, electric bikes, scooters as a way to get around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 12:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,730 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Certainly depends on your destinations / purpose.

I do 'rural' campsites, never in town, so an e-scooter or bike is of little use to me.

I prefer a lightweight dual sport motorcycle 250cc+ (for a 10+ mile commute to town if needed), usually just for fun.

I use a 'trials' motorcycle since they are very light and ez to place on camper.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:23 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
We had this problem many years ago when we had a VW camper. We had to disconnect water hose, electric cable, put some chairs out so that no one would take our site, go do our errands/sightseeing/etc and then go back and hook up again. Our solution was to go beck to a car and trailer. In later years it was an SUV and trailer. We went to places as far away as Nova Scotia, British Columbia and Mazatlan Mexico.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,730 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We had this problem many years ago when we had a VW camper. We had to disconnect water hose, electric cable, put some chairs out so that no one would take our site, ...+.
They now have magnetic / velcro free standing tents / awnings for RV / (VW camper), so you can leave your tent at your site and head out.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:53 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We had this problem many years ago when we had a VW camper. We had to disconnect water hose, electric cable, put some chairs out so that no one would take our site, go do our errands/sightseeing/etc and then go back and hook up again. Our solution was to go beck to a car and trailer. In later years it was an SUV and trailer. We went to places as far away as Nova Scotia, British Columbia and Mazatlan Mexico.

That's how we do it. Disconnect the truck and use it to go all over the place. There are two of us. We are in our 60s. Bicycling or using a motorcycle just isn't an option for us anymore. Driving our truck allows us to roam far and side and we aren't as limited on what we can buy. Last summer we stopped at a vineyard and my wife bought a case of wine. Try hauling 12 bottles of wine on a bike or motorcycle for a dozen or so miles. And if it rains, no problem. This way we also don't lose our camping spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing