Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:30 PM

16 posts, read 113,977 times

Advertisements

On your way down the Gulf side you might consider three places.

1. Seaside. That's the town where the "Truman Show" was filmed. Pretty neat to just look at while passing through. My wife and I went there on our Honeymoon many years ago (17).

2. Cape San Blas. It's about an hour or so south of Panama City. Just past a little town called Port St. Joe. It's loaded with condos (and very little else; maybe two restaurants and one gas station) but at the very tip of it is the St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. Absolutely gorgeous. There's a campground there, too. The beaches are almost completely unmolested. They look the way I imagine FL looked 50 or 60 years ago (or maybe even much longer than that). We really enjoyed it there. There's absolutely nothing to do other than relax. Perfect.

3. Appalachicola. Really just a cool little town. I believe it's the center of FL's oyster industry? I may have that wrong, but it's a great place to visit. Lots of fun little shops.

Then on your way up the Atlantic side you'll be heading to my favorite city in FL, St. Augustine. I just can't get enough of this town. Such a varied history, and so much of the history is still visible there. The influences of the different countries that were in control over the last several hundred years is still so obvious in the architecture. Just a gorgeous city. So many different things to do, and places to eat! Cuban, Spanish, Italian...whatever you're in the mood for you can find it. And don't miss the Alligator Farm!

If you can get in, I highly recommend the North Beach Camp Resort campground. It's as pretty as any campground I've ever stayed in. And to be in FL, you've got a ridiculous amount of shade! Plus the canopy and vegetation really give you as much privacy as I've ever had in any campground. We'll definitely be returning there in the next couple of years. You could stay at the State Park on Anastasia Island, but I really like having a full hook up.

I'm jealous of you. You're going to have such a ball!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 03:32 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Im planning my 4-6 week Florida coastal trip now, and would greatly appreciate very interesting things to do or places to see along the way., as im pretty new to Florida. Ill be starting at Pensacola then heading down the Gulf Coast all the way to Key West...then up the Atlantic coast to as far as St. Augustine, Fl. I could venture inland a bit if theres a good reason to check something out . Have you any tips, recommendations on things to do , see, explore, etc... ? Are Marco Island and Sanibel Island must-do things in you opinion ? Ive been told to do alot of snorkeling at the Keys which ive never done before. Thanks.
In my opinion, Sanibel and Captiva islands are a slice of paradise. Wonderful hunting for sea shells, get a tide schedule and you will find some amazing things.
There is also a campground out on the island so you can stay out there and not pay to go back and forth on the bridge.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:17 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,053,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbeck View Post
On your way down the Gulf side you might consider three places.

1. Seaside. That's the town where the "Truman Show" was filmed. Pretty neat to just look at while passing through. My wife and I went there on our Honeymoon many years ago (17).

2. Cape San Blas. It's about an hour or so south of Panama City. Just past a little town called Port St. Joe. It's loaded with condos (and very little else; maybe two restaurants and one gas station) but at the very tip of it is the St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. Absolutely gorgeous. There's a campground there, too. The beaches are almost completely unmolested. They look the way I imagine FL looked 50 or 60 years ago (or maybe even much longer than that). We really enjoyed it there. There's absolutely nothing to do other than relax. Perfect.

3. Appalachicola. Really just a cool little town. I believe it's the center of FL's oyster industry? I may have that wrong, but it's a great place to visit. Lots of fun little shops.

Then on your way up the Atlantic side you'll be heading to my favorite city in FL, St. Augustine. I just can't get enough of this town. Such a varied history, and so much of the history is still visible there. The influences of the different countries that were in control over the last several hundred years is still so obvious in the architecture. Just a gorgeous city. So many different things to do, and places to eat! Cuban, Spanish, Italian...whatever you're in the mood for you can find it. And don't miss the Alligator Farm!

If you can get in, I highly recommend the North Beach Camp Resort campground. It's as pretty as any campground I've ever stayed in. And to be in FL, you've got a ridiculous amount of shade! Plus the canopy and vegetation really give you as much privacy as I've ever had in any campground. We'll definitely be returning there in the next couple of years. You could stay at the State Park on Anastasia Island, but I really like having a full hook up.

I'm jealous of you. You're going to have such a ball!
Thanks. Ive already numbers 1 and 3, but will do the other. As well as Captiva and Sanibel Islands. Yes, ive heard tons of good things about St. Augustine so will spend at least a day there.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
If you like interesting restaurants with local flavor, there is a show on Foodnetwork where this guy tours them across the country, there were alot of them in Florida. You can search on the website for Foodnetwork.com and then look through the different episodes.

Diners, Driveins and Dives is the one I was thinking of.

Alpine Steakhouse</SPAN>
4520 S. Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34231
Tel: (941) 922-3797

Ted Peters Famous Smoked Fish</SPAN>
1350 Pasadena Ave
South Pasadena, FL 33707
Tel: (727) 381-7931

Scully's Tavern
9809 SW 72nd St.
Miami, FL 33173
Tel: (305) 271-7404

11th Street Diner
1065 Washington Avenue
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Tel: (305) 354-6373

Grampa's Bakery
17 SW First Street
Dania Beach, FL 33004
Tel: (954) 923-2163

Benny's Seafood
2500 SW 107th Ave.
South Miami FL 33165
Tel: (305) 227-1232

Havana Hideout
509 Lake Avenue
Lake Worth, FL 33460
Tel: (561) 585-8444

Flakowitz of Boynton
7410 West Boynton Beach Blvd
Boynton Beach, FL 33437
(561) 742-4144

Blue Marlin Fish House
2500 North East 163rd Street
North Miami Beach, FL 33302
Tel: (305) 957-8822

La Cameronera
1952 West Flagler Street
Miami, FL 33135
(305) 642-3322

Old 06-10-2011, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,080 times
Thumbs up the entire state is Beautiful

ichneetucknee near gainesville is a must natural lazy riverDestin is the best beach in Florida and Key West is the Southermost point You can not beat the Florida Keys You should Visit Anywhere in the Keys Is Grand.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
When you are coming north on the west coast at the intersection of Hwy19 and Sr50 is the Weeki Wachee theme park,although the park is not much to write home about a canoe trip down the river is.Canoes can be rented from the back of the parking lot and you get to float down one amazing river for about 4 hours..
Weeki Wachee Canoe & Kayak Rental

http://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch...l243l720l1.3.1

Also a stop at Ft Desoto in southern St Pete is quite scenic and has some of the best beaches in Fla. also has a nice campsite.

http://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch...254l1136l0.3.3

Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
St. George Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing