Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:39 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,975 times

Advertisements

Im planning my 4-6 week Florida coastal trip now, and would greatly appreciate very interesting things to do or places to see along the way., as im pretty new to Florida. Ill be starting at Pensacola then heading down the Gulf Coast all the way to Key West...then up the Atlantic coast to as far as St. Augustine, Fl. I could venture inland a bit if theres a good reason to check something out . Have you any tips, recommendations on things to do , see, explore, etc... ? Are Marco Island and Sanibel Island must-do things in you opinion ? Ive been told to do alot of snorkeling at the Keys which ive never done before. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 05:49 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,932,096 times
Check out Ft. Myers on the west coast. The Edison-Ford house is very interesting and you can get a tour. If I remember correctly, you can park your RV closeby. Have a good time!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Check out Ft. Myers on the west coast. The Edison-Ford house is very interesting and you can get a tour. If I remember correctly, you can park your RV closeby. Have a good time!
e

I take it the Edison-Ford house is right in Ft. Meyers then ? Do you know of any car museums along the way ? Thanks.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,932,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
e

I take it the Edison-Ford house is right in Ft. Meyers then ? Do you know of any car museums along the way ? Thanks.
Sorry. Not into cars. I believe the E-F house is right on or near the main route. It wouldn't be hard to find once you check the web.
You're welcome!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
Default about snorkeling

If you haven't snorkeled before be sure to do it with someone nearby. There have been accidents where people inhale water by accident and drown. It's easy to do if you aren't experienced.

The Keys are beautiful, just take care. John Pennecamp State Park in Key Largo (upper Keys) is fantastic for snorkelling plus Bahia Honda Park north of Key West.

We have visited many of the Florida State parks and highly recommend Homosassa Springs State Park about an hour north of Tampa on the west coast. Well worth the trip to spend 2 to 4 hours there. Manatees closer than you'll see anywhere else even in the summer, plus a hippo, alligators (of course), otters, foxes and birds everywhere.

Have fun.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
If you haven't snorkeled before be sure to do it with someone nearby. There have been accidents where people inhale water by accident and drown. It's easy to do if you aren't experienced.

The Keys are beautiful, just take care. John Pennecamp State Park in Key Largo (upper Keys) is fantastic for snorkelling plus Bahia Honda Park north of Key West.

We have visited many of the Florida State parks and highly recommend Homosassa Springs State Park about an hour north of Tampa on the west coast. Well worth the trip to spend 2 to 4 hours there. Manatees closer than you'll see anywhere else even in the summer, plus a hippo, alligators (of course), otters, foxes and birds everywhere.

Have fun.
Thanks for the info. Wow...would have never guessed one could drown from snorkeling ; ill practice at a local river first before i go on my trip. Will do Homosassa also. Thanks. Any excellent Seafood Buffet restaurants you can recommend on the Keys ?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM

845 posts, read 2,744,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post

Have fun.
Are there really hippos in Homosassa? That's crazy.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:59 AM

845 posts, read 2,744,005 times
In Palm Beach you should see the Flagler Museum and in St. Aug. you should see Flagler college. Both beautiful places.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
Default hippos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
Are there really hippos in Homosassa? That's crazy.
Yes Lucifer is a leftover from a Tarzan movie (I think) shot in the area. He is an honorary FL citizen per Gov. Lawton Chiles. Very interesting color, kind of a burgundy red.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:39 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,542 times
Sanibel is a must, great place, lots of bike paths if you have one or you can rent them there, I like it better than the keys, just much less crowded and commercial. My favorite beach in the state is Destin, you go to the beach on a nice clear day in the summer and you would swear you were in the Bahamas with how blue the water is. In the Atlantic side there is a great campground on the Beachside up around Flagler Beach, not far drive up to St. Augustine after that, eat lunch (best cuban sandwich and spanish bean soup!)at the Columbia Restaurant in old St. Augustine and eat dinner at a place on the intercoastal on the beach side, I think it is called the Saltwater Cowboy, excellent seafood and neat place to eat too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing