Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,882,178 times

Advertisements

My son is soon to turn 27 . He has a MS in water management and is also graduate of a prestigious private business school. He is seeking a position in the mining industry , eventually in CND, where I know "young blood" is asked for. Ideas anyone ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,306,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
My son is soon to turn 27 . He has a MS in water management and is also graduate of a prestigious private business school. He is seeking a position in the mining industry , eventually in CND, where I know "young blood" is asked for. Ideas anyone ?
He should stop having his parents look for a job for him?

I know the first thing I look for when I'm recruiting a manager/leader is if he had Mom and Dad do the leg work for him. A private B School grad should be completely incapable of doing the simplest tasks, like finding a career, on his own...

Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 AM

mmm...interesting view, mikeyyc...my wife is also telling me that he is not right now putting enough energy in his job seeking...in fact he didnt ask me directly to help him, I asked him if he agreed if I help him find a job, and he said ok, but I acknowledge reading your reaction that it is probably counter-productive! agreed, let him do his homework himself!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 AM

233 posts, read 538,870 times
Quote:
What kind of ideas?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM

ideas as to how he could look for a position in the Canadian mining industry ? who should he talk to ? which mining corporation could he write to ? is there a need in Cnada for fresh blood at engineering level in that field? etc
General information that I could deliver my son and that he could eventually use in his career search.
Thanks a lot for your interest.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,306,892 times
"mining" is a big bucket. Are we talking open pit coal? Hard rock nickel? Diamond? Potash? Oil Sands? All are readily available, but couldn't be more diverse geographically and skill related. You really need more focus. Suffice to say, all companies need good people all the time, but you're casting an extremely broad net.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,863,874 times
Quote:
ideas as to how he could look for a position in the Canadian mining industry ? who should he talk to ? which mining corporation could he write to ? is there a need in Cnada for fresh blood at engineering level in that field? etc
General information that I could deliver my son and that he could eventually use in his career search.
Lol. I can't change my dad's indifference, but I certainly envy your son. For whatever is worth, here is my 2 cents.

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program | Alberta Canada - Alberta, Canada

Alberta Gateway Employment Services Inc. :: Home

Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,940,955 times
Quote:
Who should he talk to? Everyone he's heard is remotely connected to the industry.

Which company to write to? All of them. As Mikeyyc mentioned, most large companies are looking for people on an ongoing basis.

In the spirit of being helpful - a couple odds and ends from recent coversations:

- Shore Gold is going ahead with their diamond project east of Prince Albert, SK.

- Ironstone is developing iron and vanadium projects up in the Peace Country, AB. Supposed to be one of the largest vanadium deposits in the world.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 AM

Default trying to focus a little bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
"mining" is a big bucket. Are we talking open pit coal? Hard rock nickel? Diamond? Potash? Oil Sands? All are readily available, but couldn't be more diverse geographically and skill related. You really need more focus. Suffice to say, all companies need good people all the time, but you're casting an extremely broad net.
His specialization is hydrogeology so I guess wildly he could look for a job in the hydrology sector, I've sent him already hyperlinks with HydroQuebec.
Thanks for the advice anyway, but bear in mind he is just out of school and is only beginning his job seeking right now, which I acknowledge may take months!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 AM

Shore Gold and Ironstone : I'll tell son about them. Rep'd you, Stubblejumper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada