Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Quebec: travel, Canada, passport, Montreal, downtown.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

I am thinking that inasmuch as I am fairly north in Maine that I might drive up to Montreal and Quebec City. It appears to be just under 400 miles.

Anyone been to either city recently? Any suggestions about traveling in Canada these days?

I do have a valid passport, always do, and a car filled with my clothes and personal belongings.

Just some petrol and the motivation!

Love to hear some thoughts! Recommendations for places to stay and things to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 11:37 AM

323 posts, read 1,391,011 times
Well, depends what you like in Montreal. Quebec city is far and I can't say anything because I don't know it well enough. In Montreal you can go to the Old Montreal area below and east a bit of the downtown area. A lot of interesting old architecture. You can take a walking tour which is interesting. Plus around the quay area there are nice views and atmosphere. A few museums, Imax and lots of ancient atmosphere. Gourmet restaurants. A small Chinatown is north of there and VIP is a really good popular spot and not too expensive.

There is an area called the Plateau but I am not into that area but it is very popular. There is St. Laurent street which is part of that area. Use to be a migrant's street of businesses but over the past 20 years has become a trendy street of boutiques and bistros. Fairmount bagels on Fairmount street the place for bagels. Montreal has a rep for great restaurants and eateries.
Stop into a tourist center for info on what's happening. Or pick up free papers like the Hour or Mirror.

Big on music here like Seattle. Festivals galore. If you want peace go along La Salle blvd. and southwest of the downtown. Keep along La Salle and you will see the edge of the island for miles. Water, the St. Lawrence seaway will be in view for miles. Lots of park land, bike paths along here. Stop at the bird sanctuary and enjoy a walk around with beauty, birds, and the rapids in the offing. Really nice feel good area. You can keep going on this blvd. forever and before Lachine area there is a an old windmill.

Lachine is cute too and the whole drive all the way to St. Annes debellevue is nice but maybe too many stops along the way. Mostly all that is a lot of nice old homes. But the water views all the way is so lovely. The odd little town street to stop for an ice-cream or bar/bistro.

There is the mountain in the middle of the city too but not that much to do there but look at the view, the picknickers, feed the squirrels ect. Maybe better to go to Botanical Gardens east of downtown. About a twenty minute drive or so. The old Olympic Stadium is there too which you can see for miles around. There is lots to see and do. Big movie shoot in Old Mtl. next week. Brad Pitt and I forget her name. But who cares. Like watching paint dry.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Many thanks for all this valuable information. I've always heard good things about Quebec, and as I am closer than usual, I thought I'd just go and see for myself.

I am a cafe--museum--dining person so much of what you mention is very helpful and encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
Well, depends what you like in Montreal. Quebec city is far and I can't say anything because I don't know it well enough. In Montreal you can go to the Old Montreal area below and east a bit of the downtown area. A lot of interesting old architecture. You can take a walking tour which is interesting. Plus around the quay area there are nice views and atmosphere. A few museums, Imax and lots of ancient atmosphere. Gourmet restaurants. A small Chinatown is north of there and VIP is a really good popular spot and not too expensive.

There is an area called the Plateau but I am not into that area but it is very popular. There is St. Laurent street which is part of that area. Use to be a migrant's street of businesses but over the past 20 years has become a trendy street of boutiques and bistros. Fairmount bagels on Fairmount street the place for bagels. Montreal has a rep for great restaurants and eateries.
Stop into a tourist center for info on what's happening. Or pick up free papers like the Hour or Mirror.

Big on music here like Seattle. Festivals galore. If you want peace go along La Salle blvd. and southwest of the downtown. Keep along La Salle and you will see the edge of the island for miles. Water, the St. Lawrence seaway will be in view for miles. Lots of park land, bike paths along here. Stop at the bird sanctuary and enjoy a walk around with beauty, birds, and the rapids in the offing. Really nice feel good area. You can keep going on this blvd. forever and before Lachine area there is a an old windmill.

Lachine is cute too and the whole drive all the way to St. Annes debellevue is nice but maybe too many stops along the way. Mostly all that is a lot of nice old homes. But the water views all the way is so lovely. The odd little town street to stop for an ice-cream or bar/bistro.

There is the mountain in the middle of the city too but not that much to do there but look at the view, the picknickers, feed the squirrels ect. Maybe better to go to Botanical Gardens east of downtown. About a twenty minute drive or so. The old Olympic Stadium is there too which you can see for miles around. There is lots to see and do. Big movie shoot in Old Mtl. next week. Brad Pitt and I forget her name. But who cares. Like watching paint dry.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:57 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,142 times
If you're in northern Maine then I would go to Quebec City first ...then west to Montreal ....both have their charms ....Quebec City is a special place ...unlike anywhere else in North America ...is an old walled city founded around 1608 (about the same time as Santa Fe,NM) ...there old cobbled streets and architecture that have an old world feel ....Chateau Frontenac Hotel dominates the city and looks like an castle ....as can be expected ...fine dining abounds ......Montreal much larger cosmopolitan city (metro population 3.7 million) ...it has areas of charm similiar to Quebec City ....namely "Old Montreal" ....and a great view point of the city from the top of Mont Royal ....there is a scenic drive up the mountain (actually 700' large hill) ....and night life along Crescent st ....both cities are definitely worth visiting ...

Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 PM

Thank you very much for your response. I am already in NH (too tired to get to Northern VT) and hope to make it to Quebec tomorrow. I'll have to check a map to see how close I am to one or both cities. I have been relying on my nose

Interesting that you say Quebec City is a walled city (I remember many in France, and elsewhere) and it is quite fascinating that the city was founded when Santa Fe was incorporated. I have driven to the East Coast from New Mexico.

So, it comes together.

Appreciate your info and knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
If you're in northern Maine then I would go to Quebec City first ...then west to Montreal ....both have their charms ....Quebec City is a special place ...unlike anywhere else in North America ...is an old walled city founded around 1608 (about the same time as Santa Fe,NM) ...there old cobbled streets and architecture that have an old world feel ....Chateau Frontenac Hotel dominates the city and looks like an castle ....as can be expected ...fine dining abounds ......Montreal much larger cosmopolitan city (metro population 3.7 million) ...it has areas of charm similiar to Quebec City ....namely "Old Montreal" ....and a great view point of the city from the top of Mont Royal ....there is a scenic drive up the mountain (actually 700' large hill) ....and night life along Crescent st ....both cities are definitely worth visiting ...

Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 AM

While I thank those that responded, if you check the "thinking quebec" thread you'll see I never made it past Customs and Immigration. Apparently because I had a loaded car, they thought I was thinking of moving to Canada and gave me one hellava hard time.

I turned back and rejected the idea of spending my hard-earned money in a country that sees terrorism in the grey eyes of an academic retiree from the States.

Sad but true!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 AM

323 posts, read 1,391,011 times
Oh No!!!!! What a drag. I read in another thread but didn't realize you were actually so put off that you didn't cross over the border. This country U.S. and Canada is getting worse and worse all the time. I guess a lot of people are trying to get out of the States too. I have seen more Americans moving to Montreal.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:18 AM

I wish the Customs and Immigration officials had been clear about their fears of a move in by a traveler. I would have saved them and myself a lot of time and headache if they had been forthright. I certainly was totally honest when I said I wanted to visit for about 5 days. I was so thoroughly offended by their manner, I just couldn't bear driving into Canada--and yes, I turned around immediately after spending nearly 2 hrs at the Canada in-station.

I was excited in a positive way to visit, but it just didn't seem like the right time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
Oh No!!!!! What a drag. I read in another thread but didn't realize you were actually so put off that you didn't cross over the border. This country U.S. and Canada is getting worse and worse all the time. I guess a lot of people are trying to get out of the States too. I have seen more Americans moving to Montreal.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:24 PM

120 posts, read 631,682 times
Sorry to hear you had a tough time trying to get into Canada. I've never crossed from the States into Quebec, but the Canadian side at the Detroit/Windsor border has always been easy for me. The Americans always given me a harder time getting into the States.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,428,585 times
Tip for the single guys who visit Quebec City during the summer. Walk the old cobbled streets where all the restaurants are located. In front of each restaurant and cafe you will be greeted by young French Canadian women trying to get you to come in and eat at their restaurant. Just be prepared to be bombarded with French Canadian eye candy like you've never seen before. It's like eye candy candy-land! As you pass by these women, they would practically beg you to come into the restaurant. Trying to hand you a menu. It gave me a guilt-trip just saying no to them. I felt like I owed them something for trying so hard.

All I kept thinking is "Wow, God sure made a lot of beautiful women in this world". When you think there couldn't possibly be any more beautiful French Canadians, there are more and more.

This was around the year 2000. I'm not sure if Quebec still uses French Canadian charm to attract new costumers to their restaurants.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-16-2007 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada