Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 01:48 PM

678 posts, read 877,552 times

Advertisements

I know Canadian cities are always more expensive than US cities but I want to know what major cities are considered to be relatively cheap or decent? I know Vancouver is out of the picture, and I hear Montreal is considered cheap, but I could be wrong. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 02:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,546,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
I know Canadian cities are always more expensive than US cities but I want to know what major cities are considered to be relatively cheap or decent? I know Vancouver is out of the picture, and I hear Montreal is considered cheap, but I could be wrong. Thanks.
No, it is considered relatively cheap, and is the best deal out of the bid six. Other options, if you consider them major cities, are Winnipeg and Hamilton, which are both old blue collar industrial cities that are starting to turn around. Of those two I'd choose Hamilton as it has a milder climate and is just a short train ride from Toronto, but as far I understand it isn't quite as cheap as Winnipeg. Halifax can also be a bit of a bargain. On paper it's a small city, but it feels like one that is much larger.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:13 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,463,024 times
"All ways more expensive " and you know this how, exactly ?

How many cities in Canada have you lived in ? For that matter, how many US cities have you lived in ?

Give me a few examples of the US cities that you think are "cheap " ? Tell me what makes a city "cheap " in your estimation ?

Is it low property taxes ? Is it the amount that city workers are paid ? Is it the cost of using the public transit ?

Tell me , I am interested in your point of view.

Now folks , lets see how long this guy takes to come back and make an appearance, shall we ?

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
"All ways more expensive " and you know this how, exactly ?

How many cities in Canada have you lived in ? For that matter, how many US cities have you lived in ?

Give me a few examples of the US cities that you think are "cheap " ? Tell me what makes a city "cheap " in your estimation ?

Is it low property taxes ? Is it the amount that city workers are paid ? Is it the cost of using the public transit ?

Tell me , I am interested in your point of view.

Now folks , lets see how long this guy takes to come back and make an appearance, shall we ?

Jim B. In Toronto.
No, I totally agree with you. I know that the "cheap" cities in the US such as Houston or Atlanta or Phoenix are cheap because they're dirty and undesirable. I totally agree that cities that are more expensive are so for a reason.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
No, it is considered relatively cheap, and is the best deal out of the bid six. Other options, if you consider them major cities, are Winnipeg and Hamilton, which are both old blue collar industrial cities that are starting to turn around. Of those two I'd choose Hamilton as it has a milder climate and is just a short train ride from Toronto, but as far I understand it isn't quite as cheap as Winnipeg. Halifax can also be a bit of a bargain. On paper it's a small city, but it feels like one that is much larger.
I liked Hamilton when I was there.
What about Ottawa?
And when I went to Toronto, I don't remember it being that expensive as people state. Most of the prices in terms of food, entertainment, etc. seemed pretty normal to me compared to California where I live.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,931,166 times
Quote:
What about Ottawa?
And when I went to Toronto, I don't remember it being that expensive as people state. Most of the prices in terms of food, entertainment, etc. seemed pretty normal to me compared to California where I live.
Some things in T.O will be more expensive.. Especially R.E... Car insurance is probably pricier than other Canadian cities simply because its a huge city so the number of accidents are higher.. Renting an apartment isn't too expensive, especially for a larger city and you'd probably be more likely to get a decent paying job. Can also go on Craigslist or Kijiji and find a roomie - there's billions of people looking for that.

One thing however that needs to be considered about a large city like Toronto is competition! There are all kinds of places to shop so naturally retailers big, small and in between are going to cut prices to compete! Additionally what you choose to buy.. I can buy a much nicer meal for less than 60 percent the cost of a McD's combo at a plethora of ethnic mom and pop restaurants in the city.. 5 Samosa's for a buck mmmm lol.. A big Honkin Chicken Shawarma for 4.99 mmmmmm.. Cheaper and MUCH better than a Quarter Pounder Combo yuuuuuck

Old 02-15-2015, 12:19 AM

909 posts, read 1,156,888 times
Montreal is definitely the cheapest major city.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,546,289 times
Quote:
What about Ottawa?
Ottawa is average to expensive compared to other Canadian cities. Makes sense, it's English speaking, one of the top 6, has lots of well paid government jobs, and is a pleasant, clean place to live with reasonably nice things to do.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,138,216 times
Housing is really the only factor, far outweighing everyt o9ther consideration. The price of a $100 weekly bag of groceries will not vary by more than $10 from one city to another, for a $40 a month diffeence. The average driver uses 150 liters of gas a month, and that would vary by only about $30 a month. Everything else costs the same, new car, clothes, appliances, etc.

But the typical rental for an apartment or cost of buying a house can represent a difference of maybe $500 a month from the low to the high,so the housing market is where to look for comparison. Even then, if you really like an area, you can downscale your housing needs.

Tax is the only other thing that would be relevant, with a $250/mo difference between the provincial income tax in AB and QC on an income of $50K.

For what it's worth, here is a map showing the relative cost of living in Canadian cities.

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/country/canada

The figures are based on reported costs by contributors to the website. The highest are Regina and Charlottetown,the lowest Windsor, Sarnia, Trois Rivieres. But may be based on a small sample of respondents.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-15-2015 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 11:50 AM

909 posts, read 1,156,888 times
The cheapest city in relation to job opportunities with a population over 500K would probably be Winnipeg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada