Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:42 PM

15 posts, read 12,218 times

Advertisements

Are most canadians pro or anti mass immigration, Canada accepts 250000 immigrants a year, which is more than twice what the US accepts compared to their relative population. It seems that as far as Vancouver is concerned, most people there would like less immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:53 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0312 View Post
Are most canadians pro or anti mass immigration, Canada accepts 250000 immigrants a year, which is more than twice what the US accepts compared to their relative population. It seems that as far as Vancouver is concerned, most people there would like less immigration?
I would say that on the whole, the vast majority of Canadians support the idea of allowing significant numbers of immigrants to come to this country, but not all agree on the current numbers or policies, some would like less, other more. It also varies alot depending on where you are in the country. I remember seeing a map once and most of the big cities that get lots of immigrants wanted less immigration, perhaps because they were having trouble absorbing and integrating so many so fast. On the other hand, areas outside of the cities with few immigrants and declining populations wanted more immigration, perhaps to grow their regions or support government coffers through population growth. Here's an article on some relevant polls:

Canadian attitudes toward immigrants conflicted, poll says - Canada - CBC News

Opinion polls show an uptick in anti-immigrant, and anti-"visible minority" attitudes, since the beginning of the recession. I don't find this particularly surprising.

Despite divided public opinion, there are no Canadian political parties that favour significant decreases in immigration levels

It's a nuanced subject:

Old 04-16-2015, 12:35 AM

15 posts, read 12,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I would say that on the whole, the vast majority of Canadians support the idea of allowing significant numbers of immigrants to come to this country, but not all agree on the current numbers or policies, some would like less, other more. It also varies alot depending on where you are in the country. I remember seeing a map once and most of the big cities that get lots of immigrants wanted less immigration, perhaps because they were having trouble absorbing and integrating so many so fast. On the other hand, areas outside of the cities with few immigrants and declining populations wanted more immigration, perhaps to grow their regions or support government coffers through population growth. Here's an article on some relevant polls:

Canadian attitudes toward immigrants conflicted, poll says - Canada - CBC News

Opinion polls show an uptick in anti-immigrant, and anti-"visible minority" attitudes, since the beginning of the recession. I don't find this particularly surprising.

Despite divided public opinion, there are no Canadian political parties that favour significant decreases in immigration levels

It's a nuanced subject:

To put in in perspective, if any US politician made a campaign promise to increase immigration to 3 million per year, he might as well commit political suicide.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:45 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
As usual, I agree with BIMBAM.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0312 View Post
To put in in perspective, if any US politician made a campaign promise to increase immigration to 3 million per year, he might as well commit political suicide.
Well, the United States is a very different country with a very different political system and political culture. I hesitate to speculate on internal matters, but would it be accurate to guess that this has something to do with Americans not trusting their politicians to craft an immigration system that would benefit the country as a whole rather then just the special interests they are beholden to for campaign money, and that they often have family, or past (and future) business connections to? In such an environment, I can hardly blame them, especially when the recent experience with unregulated immigration doesn't look to have been handled well. Business and politicians are somewhat married in Canada too, but I think there may be a greater level of trust because our immigration system has been fairly transparent, functional, flexible, and responsive to change.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
I support more immigrants and have no problem if it is doubled, as long as we make sure it is the right people we allow in: skilled workers Canada needs in various industries, scientists, entrepreneurs, labourers for work Canadians don't want to do any more, etc.

On the other hand, refugees, grandmas, maybe not so much.

People in Vancouver want fewer immigrants, maybe so, but that doesn't mean their wishes should be supported. It depends on whether their wishes are based on what's better for Vancouver as a city, or purely their own selfish interest. Some hate it because housing price goes up, or more languages are spoken which makes them uncomfortable - in which case their feeling should be ignored entirely.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:19 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
If people in Vancouver are objecting to more mass immigration I think it's because Vancouver is already bursting at the seams and doesn't have the space and infrastructure to accomodate many more people without it turning into an over crowded warren, which would spoil it. That doesn't mean the Vancouver METRO regions or the province as a whole is against more immigrants coming into the province. It means that it's more desireable and practical for new immigrants to be spreading out into other regions of the province that can more easily accomodate the increasing numbers as well as building the infrastructure and boosting the economy of those other regions where more people are needed.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If people in Vancouver are objecting to more mass immigration I think it's because Vancouver is already bursting at the seams and doesn't have the space and infrastructure to accomodate many more people without it turning into an over crowded warren, which would spoil it. That doesn't mean the Vancouver METRO regions or the province as a whole is against more immigrants coming into the province. It means that it's more desireable and practical for new immigrants to be spreading out into other regions of the province that can more easily accomodate the increasing numbers as well as building the infrastructure and boosting the economy of those other regions where more people are needed.
Then build more infrastructure. It is not like Vancouver is a very dense and crowded city and there is no room for more people. Most cities would love to have more new comers, because that means more tax base, more business opportunities. Look at Vancouver outside downtown, it is pretty much all low density residential areas with a few major streets with shops.

does it feel too many people living there? https://goo.gl/maps/8eAq6 (just randomly click a spot)

Bursting? How exactly??? It is hardly a mid-size city yet and is already bursting?

Where do you ask immigrants to go, besides the major cities with actual jobs and an urban lifestyle? It is unrealistic to expect immigrants to come and not settle in major cities for many reasons I don't need to elaborate here.

And don't worry about jobs to be stolen. Immigrants bring jobs too, Directly (by setting up business) and indirectly (by adding demand and therefore more business opportunities for existing business owners).

Be pro-growth. Growth is a good thing. Vancouver has plenty of room to grow. 600k people on a land of 100 sq km, that's way too sparsely populated to even start whining about "no space to build". If Vancouver had 1.6 million people like Barcelona does, The city will be a lot more interesting and I will like a lot more.

There is not a single Canadian city that gets to say "we have enough people". Even downtown Toronto need at least 50% more residents to feel like a big vibrant city.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Then build more infrastructure. It is not like Vancouver is a very dense and crowded city and there is no room for more people. Most cities would love to have more new comers, because that means more tax base, more business opportunities. Look at Vancouver outside downtown, it is pretty much all low density residential areas with a few major streets with shops.

does it feel too many people living there? https://goo.gl/maps/8eAq6 (just randomly click a spot)

Bursting? How exactly??? It is hardly a mid-size city yet and is already bursting?

Where do you ask immigrants to go, besides the major cities with actual jobs and an urban lifestyle? It is unrealistic to expect immigrants to come and not settle in major cities for many reasons I don't need to elaborate here.

And don't worry about jobs to be stolen. Immigrants bring jobs too, Directly (by setting up business) and indirectly (by adding demand and therefore more business opportunities for existing business owners).

Be pro-growth. Growth is a good thing. Vancouver has plenty of room to grow. 600k people on a land of 100 sq km, that's way too sparsely populated to even start whining about "no space to build". If Vancouver had 1.6 million people like Barcelona does, The city will be a lot more interesting and I will like a lot more.

There is not a single Canadian city that gets to say "we have enough people". Even downtown Toronto need at least 50% more residents to feel like a big vibrant city.
The problem is just that no politician can promise to rezone single family neighbourhoods for redevelopment and expect to get elected in Vancouver, and the locals profit from the high prices as entrenched interests. So yeah, the city actually can't practically fit any more people given that locals refuse to consider the redevelopment of neighbourhoods wholesale despite this one thing being literally able to fix all of Vancouver's largest problems. It's just not going to happen so the reality is as Zoisite has said, there's no more room.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The problem is just that no politician can promise to rezone single family neighbourhoods for redevelopment and expect to get elected in Vancouver, and the locals profit from the high prices as entrenched interests. So yeah, the city actually can't practically fit any more people given that locals refuse to consider the redevelopment of neighbourhoods wholesale despite this one thing being literally able to fix all of Vancouver's largest problems. It's just not going to happen so the reality is as Zoisite has said, there's no more room.
No need to demolish anyone's houses. As long as it is allowed to build taller buildings to fill the gaps and parking lots, a lot of houses can be built.

Don't tell me there is so space for that. Old Tonronto is smaller and has 800k and is doing that every day. Just ask those homeowners who oppose any high rises for various reasons to shut the f@@k up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada