Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:58 AM

19 posts, read 14,973 times

Advertisements

So I love snow and I wanna move somewhere where there's lots of it. I considered living in the woods, but that would be hard because of the animals and insects and all the things you'd have to just carry around and I couldn't use my computer...

So what is the cheapest rent anywhere in Canada within 20min drive to a store (could be 1min walk either)? Looking for something where I wouldn't hear my neighbors and wouldn't see cracked walls, no matter the size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 06:26 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Are you a Canadian citizen ?

If not, you need to do some research about how to qualify as a Immigrant .

The way that you worded your post gives me the impression that you don't live in Canada ?

More details , please .

Jim B.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Are you a Canadian citizen ?

If not, you need to do some research about how to qualify as a Immigrant .

The way that you worded your post gives me the impression that you don't live in Canada ?

More details , please .

Jim B.
I am not a citizen and do not live there. But last time I read it, it seems you can move and live in Canada for a few years to become a citizen. Or even not becoming a citizen, you can just live there. Am I wrong here?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'm sure with a bit of Google searching you could probably find some shack in the northern woods for a very low rent
Or if you are feeling particularly ambitious =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qCKZIqrLFU

Old 06-16-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm sure with a bit of Google searching you could probably find some shack in the northern woods for a very low rent
Or if you are feeling particularly ambitious =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qCKZIqrLFU
Well I'm asking because someone may already know... Although googling for Canada is easier than for Norway because everything is in English. Cheapest I can find is around 600 a month, so I asked because I'd like something bit cheaper than that, that is bit too much for what I'd like (so... it's a 'worst case scenario if nothing else comes up' kinda thing). Oh and northern woods would be awesome, I love the north, the woods, all that. Just would have to get a bike or something for transportation a couple times a week to use my laptop for online stuff, doubt even data would work well there. Besides, bigger downloads and lots of surfing would definitely need wifi, so at least once a week if data works.

Anyway, 600 is what I found for cheapest, anything cheaper that I was unable to find so far?

Oh I would love that! Isn't that illegal, cutting trees and building a house on public land and all that stuff? I know it's illegal in Norway at least. If you were joking, I took it most seriously because I actually thought about that.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:31 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
What do you mean by just getting a bike and riding it in to town whenever you need the internet? Depending on where you are, that can be completely impossible in the winter.

For example, I don't even live in the true North, but a medium-sized city in central Ontario that is probably colder than where by far most users on this forum live, and I can't cycle between January and March. It's too cold and there's too much snow (and snowstorms).

Please tell us where you're living right now, and where you have lived previously if that applies. I kind of get the idea that you don't fully understand the logistics and problems of living semi-isolated in a very cold environment.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowylover View Post
I am not a citizen and do not live there. But last time I read it, it seems you can move and live in Canada for a few years to become a citizen. Or even not becoming a citizen, you can just live there. Am I wrong here?
Very wrong, moving to and staying in another country requires some form of immigration procedure.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:13 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
O.P., you like cold and snow? Move to Keweenaw County in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Oh, boy, will you get your fill. And no immigration required.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
OP, I read your other posts on the board where you posted the same thing about Norway, and the other topic where you said you wanted to be a homeless drifter living in the woods.

I think you should wait a few more years until you've finished school and then consider what you want to do as an adult. Then ask practical questions online, because right now your questions are just a waste of time for the sake of entertainment. Do lots of research and educate yourself about the immigration regulations and climates of other countries.

It's okay to entertain your kind of fantasies for the fun of it while you're a kid as long as you understand that your fantasy isn't realisitic, it's not survivable. Canada in the winter is a deadly place and the woods in Norway in winter is probably just as deadly. If you attempted to do what you're thinking about you would just die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
O.P., you like cold and snow? Move to Keweenaw County in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Oh, boy, will you get your fill. And no immigration required.
In another post elsewhere the OP says he lives somewhere in Europe so immigration procedures would be required if he came to anywhere in North America.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:33 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
I will be blunt.

Unless you have a superior education, such as a 4 year University degree, AND at least 3 years of directly related work experience, OR you are a certified skilled trades worker...............

YOU won't get a visa to work in Canada. No visa, equals no work in Canada, and no way are we as a country, going to let unskilled youth come here to "live in the woods ". Canada wants productive people, not vagabonds .

Canada wants educated and skilled Immigrants. You don't appear to meet that criteria.

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada