Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 04:54 PM

8 posts, read 6,495 times

Advertisements

re-post from General US forum because I'm also interested in Canadian cities, particularly the ones that fit this description in southeastern Ontario and the edge of Quebec. See attached image for detail and thanks for any advice!

==================

I'm planning to relocate my family from Portland, OR to somewhere within 1,000 miles (give or take) of Indianapolis, IN. Essentially I'm looking to mimic the portland experience as much as possible, except maybe with better schools and a smaller city. Specifically, in order (roughly), here are the things I'm looking for:

1. Has to have temperate summers... no month with average highs in the 90's; 70's would be ideal.

2. Public education: great school district at city level, but also good public colleges at state level

3. Access to a variety of outdoors activities in a beautiful setting (mountain biking, water sports, hiking, etc.) (beautiful setting = not flat farmland. Talking about rolling hills, rivers, forests, lakes, mtns, etc.)

4. Friendly, welcoming people: I've heard anecdotally from friends that moved to Madison, WI that the people were cliquey and snooty. I've gotten this impression from one couple I met from Ann Arbor, but I do recognize these for what they are, anecdotes. That being said, community is really important, and we want to feel at home in our new city not have to work really hard to fit in.

5. Dynamic economy with positive outlook, meaning not just a one trick pony (e.g., not just a tourist town...). Should have jobs in a variety of sectors that all work together giving the city a healthy growth outlook.

6. Progressive / liberal city: both the population and the local government. Thinking of Portland, being very much a progressive city on both of these fronts with mixed-use zoning, growth boundary. Also stronger public services, etc.

7. Creative; interesting things going on. Things like co-housing communities, non-traditional entrepreneurship and businesses, etc. Essentially, a "cool" place.

8. All else being equal, closer to home (indianapolis) is better, although inevitably warmer.

-------------------------------

I know this is the US forum, but I'd be glad to hear about Canadian cities that fit this criteria too... really like Canada and the people that live there.

Given the geographic 1,000 - mile radius limit, it looks like we're working with Eastern Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Southeastern Ontario (and just the edge of Quebec), and most of New York. Maybe Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Illinois too, but those are are likely to be much warmer.

Cities that have come to mind in the past include: Ann Arbor, Traverse City, Madison, and Duluth. But honestly, I don't know much about the area, so would love some guidance.

My hesitancy around Ann Arbor is that the geography seems a little boring: flat farmland. Traverse city, on the other hand, seems pretty great, but the economy seems heavily dependent on tourism and the city doesnt appear to be especially dynamic or progressive, politically or creatively. Madison, I don't know. I just heard the people there can shun outsiders, maybe that's wrong. And I just read about Duluth in an article and talked to someone who lives there and compared it to a mini Portland.

Long story short, any help is much appreciated. Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 05:07 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,686 times
Kingston, Ontario.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:46 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
There are many communities in Eastern Ontario and the edge of Quebec that fit the bill... Kingston, Ottawa, Cornwall, Arnprior, Clarence-Rockland... on the Quebec side, there's Gatineau and the towns near it like Chelsea and Wakefield (which are English-speaking).

The problem is, nothing in this region will fit your criteria #1. Temperatures are very hot and humid here. Summer temperatures are rarely below the mid-80s. It isn't like a coastal area at all.

If you want Summer temperatures in the 70s, you won't find them unless you're way out in the Maritimes. The Atlantic Ocean and the Bay of Fundy provide natural Summer air conditioning with the foggy Summer nights. Have you considered Halifax? It's pretty diverse and eclectic for its size, it's a regional hub with a good economy, and it's pretty liberal.

Last edited by Ottawa2011; 10-18-2015 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 07:49 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
There are many communities in Eastern Ontario and the edge of Quebec that fit the bill... Kingston, Ottawa, Cornwall, Arnprior, Clarence-Rockland... on the Quebec side, there's Gatineau and the towns near it like Chelsea and Wakefield (which are English-speaking).

The problem is, nothing in this region will fit your criteria #1. Temperatures are very hot and humid here. Summer temperatures are rarely below the mid-80s. It isn't like a coastal area at all.

If you want Summer temperatures in the 1970s, you won't find them unless you're way out in the Maritimes. The Atlantic Ocean and the Bay of Fundy provide natural Summer air conditioning with the foggy Summer nights. Have you considered Halifax? It's pretty diverse and eclectic for its size, it's a regional hub with a good economy, and it's pretty liberal.
If he want temps in the 1970s, he's going to need more than the Maritimes. He's gonna need a time machine.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:55 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If he want temps in the 1970s, he's going to need more than the Maritimes. He's gonna need a time machine.
Fixed!

I don't know if that was autocorrect or my brain having a nostalgia blip.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:57 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Fixed!

I don't know if that was autocorrect or my brain having a nostalgia blip.

lol!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:51 AM

380 posts, read 430,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Kingston, Ontario.
x2

Old 10-19-2015, 07:54 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Kingston, Ontario.
Pretty good choice. Because of the "lee of the lakes" summer days there can be a bit cooler than in the rest of southern Ontario and southern Quebec.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:59 AM

380 posts, read 430,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pretty good choice. Because of the "lee of the lakes" summer days there can be a bit cooler than in the rest of southern Ontario and southern Quebec.
Which is why my parents chose to keep their sailboat in the area despite it being 2.5-3 hours from Toronto. The wind provides favorable conditions for sailing. The boat is actually kept closer to Gananoque and there is even a difference there because you're a little more sheltered.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimushodge View Post

Given the geographic 1,000 - mile radius limit, it looks like we're working with Eastern Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Southeastern Ontario (and just the edge of Quebec), and most of New York. Maybe Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Illinois too, but those are are likely to be much warmer.
The way you casually lump Ontario in with many parts of the USA makes me wonder if you realize theres a border involved and if you want to come and live in Canada you will have to go through the immigration process..
Cant predict you wont have a few hot days in the summer but Kingston came to mind.
Other areas to live are the Kitchener/Waterloo area,London,Windsor. Sarnia,Thunder Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada