Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 06:05 AM

208 posts, read 210,792 times

Advertisements

Wife and I LOVE this show and watch episodes still on Youtube. We look forward to seeing what invention/contraption Steve Smith will cobble together during each episode with the aid of duct tape, the word challenge and the tall tale (usually in black & white). Yes, we enjoy each episode right from the opening theme to the possum lodge men's prayer (I'm a man....and I can change....if I have to...I guess). Saw a later interview of Steve Smith on Youtube, he looked to be in his 70s, and wondered how he was doing these days. Probably enjoying retirement, hopefully. The series brings back fond memories for us besides being entertaining. We used to watch it while it was still in production in the 1990s when we lived in Northeastern Vermont about 40 miles from the Canadian border. We knew it was theater/comedy and simple humor of course, but it could have applied to people we knew in rural Vermont as well as Canada. Watching it today still brings back fond memories of those days and of travel into Canada (Sherbrooke, St John Sur Richleau, Montreal) how clean and nice the Canadian countryside and cities were. Yes, good times. Can anybody relate? Keep your stick on the ice Canadians, we're pulling for you. If women don't find you handsome, they ought to find you handy......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 06:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,572,726 times
it speaks to a different time
long gone, most modern Canadians under 40 dont recognize this or relate to it

Old 10-08-2020, 07:05 AM

208 posts, read 210,792 times
long gone, most modern Canadians under 40 don't recognize this or relate to it

So sad.........

Old 10-08-2020, 10:53 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Who doesn't love the Red Green show and all the cast? Nobody. Steve Smith and the Red Green Show are not forgotten. Steve Smith does televised live tours now right across the country, or at least he did until just before Covid tied a kink in our world. In each one I've been fortunate to catch on TV the auditorium has been packed to the gills with people of ALL ages, from old geezers down to teenage kids all relating to what he said and all laughing fit to bring the roof down. So I don't think he's been forgotten in Canada even by the under 40 crowd. They do a podcast now too (whatever a podcast is?).

Take heart and check out the links below for more details:

tours info from last year: Red Green On Tour

home page - The Official Red Green Web Site

Old 10-08-2020, 02:45 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolitionman2 View Post
long gone, most modern Canadians under 40 don't recognize this or relate to it

So sad.........
Nah 40 is an overestimation, I'm 31 and I used to watch that show when I was a kid, I am sure most of my contemporaries remember it. For people younger than us though, maybe it's more obscure. That said, it wasn't particularly interesting or relatable to a 13 year old living in Montreal so it was never my favourite, but I do feel a certain nostalgia for it now.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:28 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
I checked the years it was on and it began right around the time when I was transitioning from being (mostly) an anglophone to (mostly) a francophone Canadian. So I wouldn't have been exposed to it although if it had been on 5-10 years earlier I definitely would be familiar with it. Though I do recall the earlier comedy program "Smith and Smith" that he hosted with his wife. I was more tuned in to Anglo-Canadian culture at that time.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:27 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
I used to watch it ALL the time. After the show quit I was lucky to see Steve Smith do his stand up show. I wore my Possum Lodge vest and got a lot of weird looks. Kinda like they were trying to figure out when/if I was on the show.

Back in the day I would wait till it was Red Green pledge drive time on PBS to donate. I have a lot of cool Red Green stuff. My favorite is the Possum Lodge vest.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:06 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
I remember the show, but never really got into it. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:34 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
Figured the thread would be better with a picture. Here is my Red Green Possum Lodge vest.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Green Anyone?-redgreen.jpg  

Old 10-10-2020, 07:52 AM

43 posts, read 52,609 times
loved Red Green and I'm 29.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada