Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
It's a killer leg workout I'll tell you that, mainly more for Montreal since you have to go uphill and downhill on some streets. I do tend to walk "fast" apparently, but I also can sense my environment and get a feel of my surroundings. It's plausible to walk all the streets and experience them fully but it'll take up all day and the next day, good luck walking haha.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but it would be a lot of walking and basically no experiencing everything to sense.. Its not like you would have time to enjoy a Pork Belly Bao and Kimchi Fries at Banh Mi Boys or taking in Ruben's Massacre of the Innocents at the AGO - hence the not experiencing part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 07:07 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but it would be a lot of walking and basically no experiencing everything to sense.. Its not like you would have time to enjoy a Pork Belly Bao and Kimchi Fries at Banh Mi Boys or taking in Ruben's Massacre of the Innocents at the AGO - hence the not experiencing part
Oh when it comes to food, or cafes and all that, I take my sweet time . Whenever I walk downtown, I'll be there all day so around 10 or 11 am till 10 pm roughly. It's not something I do often but once in a while, it's really fun to do! I know downtown Toronto is huge, but downtown MTL is pretty damn big also haha, so do take all day to walk in both cities downtowns.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Oh when it comes to food, or cafes and all that, I take my sweet time . Whenever I walk downtown, I'll be there all day so around 10 or 11 am till 10 pm roughly. It's not something I do often but once in a while, it's really fun to do! I know downtown Toronto is huge, but downtown MTL is pretty damn big also haha, so do take all day to walk in both cities downtowns.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,566 times
Quote:
My point was it would take longer to explore Toronto's core because it is that much bigger. Montreal shines by its surrounding neighborhoods, for the core itself Toronto is much larger and there are more things to see.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:06 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
sorry, you can't include Scarborough as if it were part of Toronto or people actually go there.
But Scarborough is a part of Toronto, and people actually go there.

Scarborough has always got the short end of the stick in Toronto. Mainly blue-collar, thanks to GM's Scarborough Van Plant (now closed), and a bedroom community to the GM plant in Oshawa. Major growth after WWII, in little cookie-cutter houses--find them in nice neighbourhoods near Warden and Kennedy (Wexford, etc.). But very nice homes in Guildwood. Not so nice places in Galloway, Danzig, Tuxedo Court, and Mornelle Court. Even so, I remember a few nights of beer-drinking with a buddy on Danzig; nothing happened; no shots were fired.

It's true; the Golden Mile is now shabby (more brass than gold); and Kingston Road and Morningside is not a place you might want to go without a couple of big guys. But that's no reason to dismiss Scarborough as a whole. The U of T has a respected campus at Ellesmere and Military Trail (I took a few courses out there), and the Rouge Park has many hiking trails. The Bluffs are beautiful. The Zoo is in Scarborough.

I spent a lot of time in "Scarberia," and still have many friends there. I am sad to hear that one of our posters believes that "you can't include Scarborough as if it were part of Toronto or people actually go there." It is part of Toronto, people go there, and though I am a born-and-bred Torontonian (old city), I admit that I know Scarborough better than I know Etobicoke. The former has real people living in it; the latter ... well, they wish they were living downtown. Scarberians don't; they're happy and proud to say they come from Scarborough. That's the difference.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hey C'mon now lol.. You actually have to give DT Toronto and surrounding nabe's a chance before such a crowning. Not saying your choice isn't a valid crowning, I love it too but you atleast have to engage DT Toronto and surrounding nabe's with all senses first. Google street view or doesn't count
Well I've hit two out of the big three so far. I'll say Montreal is my favorite only because it stands out among many of the bigger and more electric American cities I've visited as well. But I can totally understand what you and others in the thread are saying in terms of Toronto and Montreal being on an even plain in terms of all that they have to offer. They are very just different in terms of what they offer. I'd even be inclined to give downtown Calgary a chance and overnight there prior to hitting the road for Banff & Jasper. I'd probably check out the Glenbow Museum while there. I'm a museum nerd, I usually stop at least one in most cities I visit.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
The former has real people living in it; the latter ... well, they wish they were living downtown. Scarberians don't; they're happy and proud to say they come from Scarborough. That's the difference.
Etobicoke is a decent compromise between working at the airport and being close enough to walk 5 mins to the subway that you can be DT in 25 mins

You're right about Scarborough though - its a working class kind of place that actually now houses quite a bit of newly arrived Canadians. I take my Afghani girlfriend to an Afghan supermarket on Markham rd there every once in awhile. - Good

I joke about Scarberia tbh but because its the largest of T.O's boroughs, it can feel a bit more disconnected to Old T.O than other boroughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I'd probably check out the Glenbow Museum while there. I'm a museum nerd, I usually stop at least one in most cities I visit.
Me too - the only thing I don't like about big one's is that after a few hours I get a bit restless and have enough - even among the very best like The British Museum and Cairo. 3-4 hours in one day at a museum is about my limit. I don't know how people can spend a whole day even if you need that to see everything. I normally just pick and choose what I want to see the most based on interest.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-10-2017 at 06:58 PM..

Old 04-11-2017, 11:46 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Lucky dog, Montreal! You have a great city and damn proud of it.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:15 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
I thought it was strange that (according to a previous poster upthread) Montreal would have so many more bakeries downtown than Toronto, but since I'm not really a connoisseur of baked goods, I really had no idea if that was true or not, so I did a quick google search and it turns out that the two cities are pretty much even in that regard.

Toronto downtown bakeries
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...E,lf:1,lf_ui:9

Montreal downtown bakeries

Old 04-12-2017, 03:23 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
I thought it was strange that (according to a previous poster upthread) Montreal would have so many more bakeries downtown than Toronto, but since I'm not really a connoisseur of baked goods, I really had no idea if that was true or not, so I did a quick google search and it turns out that the two cities are pretty much even in that regard.

Toronto downtown bakeries

Montreal downtown bakeries

You know you always want to prove how GREAT Toronto is. I have been to some of the bakeries you proudly show. Most sells CUPCAKES and little else.

Bakeries usually look like this

Bakeries in Toronto mostly look like this. Maybe it is bakery in your dictionary, fine. I have a couple near my apartment, never bought anything. Cupcakes are just yuck.

Last edited by botticelli; 04-12-2017 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada