Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:50 PM

240 posts, read 254,180 times

Advertisements

How many of you have traveled the length of Canada by car? Or rail? Or maybe some of you are planning to do so in the future? A trip from Vancouver to Halifax would definitely be an adventure and is an expedition I'd like to enjoy at some point in the future. Please, share any experiences you have from any trips across Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 12:29 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
for 80% of this trip you will see nothing interesting.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:46 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
I have driven to and through every province and territory except Nunavut which you can't drive to. Each province and territory was interesting and unique in its own way.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:50 AM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times
If you add up all my trips by car across Canada, you'll find that I've been from St. John's to Victoria and back again. What kind of experiences would you like me to report on?

Old 08-12-2017, 02:41 AM

240 posts, read 254,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
If you add up all my trips by car across Canada, you'll find that I've been from St. John's to Victoria and back again. What kind of experiences would you like me to report on?
Well, I'd like to read about any of them, but to pick a few, I guess your experiences in Newfoundland (on the island, taking the ferry there, plus Labrador if you went there), eastern Quebec, northwestern Ontario, and driving through the Rockies.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:44 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
for 80% of this trip you will see nothing interesting.
You've made this trip?

Old 08-12-2017, 10:46 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
The most interesting drive I ever did in Canada was the Dempster Highway. One of the most epic if not the most epic road trips anywhere. The sense of isolation and space during that drive is unlike anything I've felt anywhere else. The wildlife was amazing too. I saw a mother grizzly and cub, plus moose and another bear along the way. I would have liked to see a caribou too but I don't think the herds were in that area. The scenery was phenomenal too from beautiful mountains and wide valleys to stunted taiga forest and beautiful tundra. I highly recommend it for anyone who has the chance to drive it. Just make sure you have a reliable vehicle for the trip and be prepared with a survival kit and extra fuel and tires as it is easy to break down due to the rough nature of the road with potholes and it being mostly gravel for 700+ km in each direction. It has a stretch of highway where there is no fuel for 360km. That gives you an idea of how isolated it is. I was lucky that my vehicle didn't break down while on the highway and only ended up getting very dirty with a cracked windshield.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:05 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The most interesting drive I ever did in Canada was the Dempster Highway. One of the most epic if not the most epic road trips anywhere. The sense of isolation and space during that drive is unlike anything I've felt anywhere else. The wildlife was amazing too. I saw a mother grizzly and cub, plus moose and another bear along the way. I would have liked to see a caribou too but I don't think the herds were in that area. The scenery was phenomenal too from beautiful mountains and wide valleys to stunted taiga forest and beautiful tundra. I highly recommend it for anyone who has the chance to drive it. Just make sure you have a reliable vehicle for the trip and be prepared with a survival kit and extra fuel and tires as it is easy to break down due to the rough nature of the road with potholes and it being mostly gravel for 700+ km in each direction. It has a stretch of highway where there is no fuel for 360km. That gives you an idea of how isolated it is. I was lucky that my vehicle didn't break down while on the highway and only ended up getting very dirty with a cracked windshield.
I had a summer job which took me one month of being on the Dempster. I agree with your assessment.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:23 PM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
Well, I'd like to read about any of them, but to pick a few, I guess your experiences in Newfoundland (on the island, taking the ferry there, plus Labrador if you went there), eastern Quebec, northwestern Ontario, and driving through the Rockies.
Well, you've selected the most scenic parts of the drive, though there is something about driving across the Prairies in bright sunshine, while watching a thunderstorm off in the distance.

I've only been to the island of Newfoundland. The ferries are fun, though the crossings are long--Port aux Basques to North Sydney is 8 hours; Argentia to North Sydney is 14 hours. As a result, fitting their schedules with yours can be challenging. But on board, there are plenty of things to do that will help pass the time--shops and bars and restaurants, playrooms for the kids, and other activities. There are also cabins for rent, so you can catch up on the sleep you missed, due to the ferry schedule.

The road across the island is good Two lanes, with frequent passing lanes. It winds its way from St, John's to Port aux Basques through forest, mostly; though there are towns here and there: Gander, Corner Brook, and so on, with all services you might need. Although the trip across the island could be done in a day, you might want to stop for a bit, as there are some interesting things to see along the way (the Newfoundland Railway Museum in Corner Brook, for example).

By "eastern Quebec," I'm going to assume that you mean the Gaspe Peninsula. I've been out there too, but the map can be deceiving as to the distance from Riviere du Loup (where you can cut off to head to Edmundston, NB)--it doesn't look that far, but the two-lane road hugs the water's edge, so you end up driving around every little bay, each of which has a town where you need to slow down; and so, the trip seems long. The town of Gaspe itself is a nice place, with all services; and worth exploring on foot. South of Gaspe is Perce Rock, which is worth a look; and from there, it is more water's edge driving to Campbellton, NB. There are many nice views all over the Gaspe Peninsula, and the road is well-maintained.

More to come in my next post.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:33 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

By "eastern Quebec," I'm going to assume that you mean the Gaspe Peninsula. I've been out there too, but the map can be deceiving as to the distance from Riviere du Loup (where you can cut off to head to Edmundston, NB)--it doesn't look that far, but the two-lane road hugs the water's edge, so you end up driving around every little bay, each of which has a town where you need to slow down; and so, the trip seems long. The town of Gaspe itself is a nice place, with all services; and worth exploring on foot. South of Gaspe is Perce Rock, which is worth a look; and from there, it is more water's edge driving to Campbellton, NB. There are many nice views all over the Gaspe Peninsula, and the road is well-maintained.

More to come in my next post.
Yes the distances can be deceiving. When you reach Matane it looks like you're almost there, but it's actually only halfway from Montreal to Gaspé
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada