Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 02:32 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...wsom-1.5393170

Awkward eh?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 02:39 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Is this supposed to be this type of moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d24ZpzoZkQE

Old 12-13-2019, 03:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
AJ is this how you defend the bumbling incompetence of Quebecs leader? Surprised he didnt start crowing about his racist/xenophobic piece of garbage called bill 21.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:10 AM

Legault actually did (jokingly) bring it up.

“Of course, I understand. We can talk about religious signs,” Legault laughs.

“Oh, I know it’s an issue for you guys,” Newsom replies, waving his hands. “I don’t want to get into that.”

Old 12-13-2019, 10:26 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
Historically speaking most French Canadians were Catholic. I don't see what the big deal about this is. Not a single French Canadian I know goes to church, let alone wears religious symbols. The cbc making a big deal out of nothing.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Historically speaking most French Canadians were Catholic. I don't see what the big deal about this is. Not a single French Canadian I know goes to church, let alone wears religious symbols. The cbc making a big deal out of nothing.
There seems to be a sneaking suspicion that leads to an obsession about finding a "bug" that would prove that the law is hypocritical and spares Catholicism but targets all other religions.

I guess these detractors must have been pretty depressed when the cross in the National Assembly was taken down - it deprived them of one of their favourite arguments.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
The big deal is that he was dense as a box of bricks. Not only did he bring up a totally personal and politically inappropriate topic to the American governor and try to drag him into discussion about it in front of media reporters when the governor was clearly uncomfortable and unwilling to discuss it, he also told a lie about the people of Quebec because of it and has given a false impression about the province. That's what the big deal is all about. He should have kept his big mouth shut about his religion, period.

Last edited by Zoisite; 12-13-2019 at 11:19 AM..

Old 12-13-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The big deal is that he was dense as a box of bricks. Not only did he bring up a totally personal and politically inappropriate topic to the American governor and try to drag him into discussion about it when the governor was unwilling to discuss it, he also told a lie about the people of Quebec because of it and has given a false impression about the province. That's what the big deal is all about. He should have kept his big mouth shut about religion, period.
I admit it was a very awkward attempt at small talk. But I doubt François Legault goes around thinking about his (historical) Catholicism, at all.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:46 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I admit it was a very awkward attempt at small talk. But I doubt François Legault goes around thinking about his (historical) Catholicism, at all.

I agree with that, they were having an awkward moment but that's all the more reason why he should have kept his mouth shut about religion ...... of all things.

I'm not excoriating the guy, it's easy for anyone to put their foot in their mouth. I think he just wasn't thinking straight and made a social as well as political faux pas, and as you say he probably never thinks about his historical Catholicism at all. I think he was clutching at straws trying to find some common factor that would bind two strangers together in personal camaraderie, in small talk. He forgot that the meeting wasn't a personal meeting about him and the governor as individuals, it was about politics and the governments and policies and all the people that the two individuals represent.

I don't believe any great harm was done by it but all politicians are under high intensification magnifying glasses these days so it's still going to have gotten eyerolls from Canadians who know better.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree with that, they were having an awkward moment but that's all the more reason why he should have kept his mouth shut about religion ...... of all things.

I'm not excoriating the guy, it's easy for anyone to put their foot in their mouth. I think he just wasn't thinking straight and made a social as well as political faux pas, and as you say he probably never thinks about his historical Catholicism at all. I think he was clutching at straws trying to find some common factor that would bind two strangers together in personal camaraderie, in small talk. He forgot that the meeting wasn't a personal meeting about him and the governor as individuals, it was about politics and the governments and policies and all the people that the two individuals represent.

I don't believe any great harm was done by it but all politicians are under high intensification magnifying glasses these days so it's still going to have gotten eyerolls from Canadians who know better.
Legault was also speaking in his second language which also contributes to the awkwardness. I speak way better English than he does and still occasionally have some awkward moments.

Though I have to say Legault can have his awkward moments in French too. That occasionally goofy, not-too-slick and polished speaking style is actually part of what's endeared him to the people. He doesn't come across as someone who pretends to be perfect, and isn't afraid to say he "got it wrong" when that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada