Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 09:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times

Advertisements

So there was this big formal royal reception in London to welcome all the world leaders attending the NATO summit. Everyone was all dressed up to the nines in their elegant fancy clothes. The men are all wearing formal black suits and black shoes. (see pictures below at link).

Now I don't care what anyone else thinks, I think this is hilarious. It would seem that this time Justin, in keeping with the tradition of many Canadian Prime Ministers typically always doing something quirky at these get togethers, instead of wearing black shoes he was wearing his usual old brown shoes and navy socks with reindeer on them.

Way to go Justin!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nson-host.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 03:22 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,335,158 times
It's a fashion faux pas.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:31 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,574,072 times
FLOTUS has the hots for PM JT

Old 12-12-2019, 06:56 AM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times
Zoisite, I know that you are looking at this like it is silly, but I assure you that it is very real in some quarters. Some judges I have appeared before, will not let litigants' lawyers appear until their shoes and socks match their suit and tie. Black shoes and socks always work.

Other judges will let me get away with a sport coat and tie and slacks, and "proper" shoes. "Proper" being defined as "black." I find dress shoes very uncomfortable, so I typically wear a neat pair of black Etonic Walkers (pretty much sneakers) into the courtroom, even if I am wearing a suit. No judge has called me out on them yet.

Perhaps Justin ought to try a pair of black Etonic Walkers.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Zoisite, I know that you are looking at this like it is silly, but I assure you that it is very real in some quarters. Some judges I have appeared before, will not let litigants' lawyers appear until their shoes and socks match their suit and tie. Black shoes and socks always work.

Other judges will let me get away with a sport coat and tie and slacks, and "proper" shoes. "Proper" being defined as "black." I find dress shoes very uncomfortable, so I typically wear a neat pair of black Etonic Walkers (pretty much sneakers) into the courtroom, even if I am wearing a suit. No judge has called me out on them yet.

Perhaps Justin ought to try a pair of black Etonic Walkers.

I can see your point of view about how perfection may be required before some judges in a court of law, and I even understand why it may be that the highest level of respect and preparation is demanded in that situation. But I do think it is not quite the same thing.

The reason I found this particular incident funny is because world societies always expect perfection from their world leaders and this just illustrated that it's too high an expectation for us to have of our leaders. They are humans with human foibles, not programmed machines and our Canadian prime ministers are no exception.

It reminded me of the time there was a summit - I think it was a G20 summit but don't recall exactly - where all the world leaders except one were in their positions for the group photo shot, all patiently sitting or standing in perfect formation and waiting for Stephen Harper who was missing. And after awhile along comes Harper running into the room to take his place, looking embarrassed and awkward like a school boy with a goofy, abashed grin on his face while everyone else chuckled at him while he apologized for being late.

My immediate thought was that Harper probably got sidetracked or lost and then had to make a quick emergency trip to the biffy before attending the photo shoot. No disrespect was intended, he wasn't deliberately trying to force them to wait for him while he held up the photo shoot. But he is a human at the mercy of human nature, having human imperatives and human bodily functions that must be obeyed, not a perfect automaton as demanded by society.

The thing with Trudeau (and his brown shoes and reindeer socks) and other leaders being human was further illustrated with that incident of the small group of world leaders together with Princess Anne at the reception party unknowingly all being evesdropped on and being secretly recorded while they discussed Trump and the reason for Trump getting sidetracked by media and being 44 minutes !! late for whatever that meeting it was that Trump was late for.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:52 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
Do you think Trudeau would wear ladies yoga pants and a hijab at the same time to prove how progressive he his? After all he is peoplekind.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Do you think Trudeau would wear ladies yoga pants and a hijab at the same time to prove how progressive he his? After all he is peoplekind.

I don't understand your question nor do I see how your mention of ladies clothing or the term 'progressiveness' has any relevance to this topic. Are you trying to hijack the thread and bait me into going off topic? Because that's how the apparent nature of your comment seems to me and I think it's a silly question. If you're trying to hijack the thread with a silly question I suggest you take a hike and go start your own thread about your question somewhere else.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:59 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
I just thought since he liked to dress up in black and arab face he would be in to trying new things. His socks were quite colorful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada