Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Alberta Independence A Legitimate Movement?
Yes 14 50.00%
No 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 06:15 PM

225 posts, read 153,259 times

Advertisements

Alberta independence, also called a "Wexit". Is this a legitimate movement?

Support for Alberta independence has now reached far over 40% of the Alberrta population.

A majority of Quebec has been shown to be happy or OK with Alberta's separation.

Historical support shows independence movement is here to stay

Support is also strong in Sasketchawan and British Columbia.

Will this movement continue after Trudeau is not P.M., and is it legitimate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 06:55 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,507,219 times
It wouldn't make any sense. If Alberta were to secede it would likely join the US rather than be independent or else it would find itself surrounded by two giant countries with which it would need to deal with. It's too isolated and lacks the manpower to be a viable independent country, unlike Quebec that at least has the luxury of not being landlocked.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:43 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,423,162 times
I would be more willing to consider their grievances if I didn't see so many Albertans hanging the Canadian flag upside down and wearing maga hats.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:07 PM

143 posts, read 133,826 times
Independence for purely economic reasons rarely (if ever) goes anywhere.

If the idea is to keep their oil wealth to themselves, which it's got to be (what else?) then if you think about it for a second, why would Fort Mac want to keep unproductive leeches like Edmonton and Calgary around? Makes no sense.

The Independent Republic of Wood Buffalo would soon have a sovereign fund per capita that would make Norway's look like pocket change

Old 06-28-2020, 10:32 PM

225 posts, read 153,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
It wouldn't make any sense. If Alberta were to secede it would likely join the US rather than be independent or else it would find itself surrounded by two giant countries with which it would need to deal with. It's too isolated and lacks the manpower to be a viable independent country, unlike Quebec that at least has the luxury of not being landlocked.
Good point, exception is that British Columbia and Saskethawan also have lots of popularity. What if they form a Western bloc? Then they have access to both the Pacific ocean and Hudson Bay.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:42 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,507,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
Good point, exception is that British Columbia and Saskethawan also have lots of popularity. What if they form a Western bloc? Then they have access to both the Pacific ocean and Hudson Bay.
What would be the point of joining Alberta specifically? Would Alberta be able to provide better fortunes for them if it were to secede from Canada?
The way I see it, is that only Quebec could be a truly independent country. The rest would more than likely seek their fortunes elsewhere by joining the US.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 3,422,676 times
It seems to me that the only people who are concerned about Albertan independence are non-Albertans.

Here in Alberta, it's a non-issue. We don't spend our days complaining about how we're hard done by, and the only thing that can save us is independence. Well, maybe except for that old guy at the end of the bar who's had a few too many and is mumbling, "F---ing Trudeau," to anybody who will listen, and most won't. But even he stops short of drunkenly mumbling "Alberta independence." If anything, though, he is illustrative of Alberta's mood: Albertans (in general) hate Trudeau. Not because he's a Liberal, but because he's a Trudeau. I'd suggest that had the Liberals run anybody else as leader in the most recent election, then they would have picked up at least a few seats in Alberta.

Sure, Alberta has gripes with and about Ottawa's decisions and policies, but they don't rise to the level of seriously discussing separation or independence, or of joining the United States. Mostly, among ourselves, we discuss such things as sports, the weather, kids, the price of groceries, our golf game, or Buddy's new set of wheels, among other such mundane topics. Out of the hundreds, if not thousands, of Albertans I know and have known in this province, exactly one advocated Albertan independence, and that was fifteen years ago.

So, to answer the OP's question, "Is Alberta independence a legitimate movement?" the answer is No. I say that as an Albertan, on the ground in Alberta, with plenty of Albertan friends and acquaintances. Yes, we Albertans do have a few cranks and crackpots among us who advocate such, but perhaps they get more publicity than they deserve from the eastern Canadian media. They don't get much, if any, media coverage here; certainly no more than the religious nutters who are predicting the Rapture. Which is to say, pretty much none.

Once again, the only people who are interested in, or concerned with, Albertan independence are non-Albertans.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:06 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,083,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
Well, for starters, they don't want to form a Western bloc, and their popularity (popular with who? - each other? - the States?) is irrelevant to their economy. Also, you need to look at a map of Canada because Alberta and Saskatchewan are nowhere near Hudson's Bay. They are both completely land-locked surrounded on all sides by other provinces/states.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:04 PM

676 posts, read 650,732 times
I'm sure I wrote this elsewhere before, but you cannot just "secede" from a country that easily in the modern day. When's the last time this was accepted in the world? It just wouldn't happen and it belongs with the rest of the fringe theories. Quebec was the closest, in the 90s. Barring another World War level political-geographical catastrophe I cannot see any province going out and becoming their own country. The US has a better chance of seeing State secession (infinitesimally above zero) than Canada.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:32 PM

428 posts, read 451,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
It seems to me that the only people who are concerned about Albertan independence are non-Albertans.

Here in Alberta, it's a non-issue. We don't spend our days complaining about how we're hard done by, and the only thing that can save us is independence. Well, maybe except for that old guy at the end of the bar who's had a few too many and is mumbling, "F---ing Trudeau," to anybody who will listen, and most won't. But even he stops short of drunkenly mumbling "Alberta independence." If anything, though, he is illustrative of Alberta's mood: Albertans (in general) hate Trudeau. Not because he's a Liberal, but because he's a Trudeau. I'd suggest that had the Liberals run anybody else as leader in the most recent election, then they would have picked up at least a few seats in Alberta.

Sure, Alberta has gripes with and about Ottawa's decisions and policies, but they don't rise to the level of seriously discussing separation or independence, or of joining the United States. Mostly, among ourselves, we discuss such things as sports, the weather, kids, the price of groceries, our golf game, or Buddy's new set of wheels, among other such mundane topics. Out of the hundreds, if not thousands, of Albertans I know and have known in this province, exactly one advocated Albertan independence, and that was fifteen years ago.

So, to answer the OP's question, "Is Alberta independence a legitimate movement?" the answer is No. I say that as an Albertan, on the ground in Alberta, with plenty of Albertan friends and acquaintances. Yes, we Albertans do have a few cranks and crackpots among us who advocate such, but perhaps they get more publicity than they deserve from the eastern Canadian media. They don't get much, if any, media coverage here; certainly no more than the religious nutters who are predicting the Rapture. Which is to say, pretty much none.

Once again, the only people who are interested in, or concerned with, Albertan independence are non-Albertans.
I am in Manitoba and see lots of people who would welcome this, but I don't think independence is something that you walk up to someone and just start talking about. Living in Quebec during the secession crisis it was rare even then for someone to voice their support for an independent Quebec unless they got into a deep political conversation. I didn't know many people back then who wanted independence for Quebec, but that doesn't mean that nearly half of the province wouldn't go on to for it, with nearly 2/3rds of French-speakers voting for it. That is what the polls told us then, as the polls are telling us now about Alberta, over and over again.

I also think it runs deeper than just Trudeau. It has to do with a constant lack of attention paid to the western provinces, regardless of the leader. Alberta especially gets screwed really badly. They would be much richer with a different government or as a US state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada