Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 01:28 PM

141 posts, read 545,509 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am trying to plan a trip for next april (the 3rd week) and I really want to go skiing. I know Whistler is usually open until early June or late may, but I am wondering how GOOD is the skiing and the snow at Whistler during that time? Will it be worth it to come there and plan for some good skiing for a few days?

Also, what other things are there to do during that time? I'd be coming there with my boyfriend and another couple (we're all in our early 30's) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:01 PM

170 posts, read 893,446 times
We skied on the last day of Whistler this year which was April 19th I think and the skiing was fantastic. Snow falling heavily in the morning and fresh powder on the Friday but that apparently was unusual. Winds were a little high and it was icy under the powder. By afternoon the winds had exposed the ice on the lower sections. In the morning it was -19C at the peak. Blackcomb is opened till later in the year but we didn't ski it this time. The conditions actually didn't look as good.

As to what else is to do, well we were exhausted from skiing and walking so we welcomed a lovely long dinner at nights and time on the patio people watching. Plus we had a nice double jacuzzi so............

Old 08-18-2008, 07:15 AM

141 posts, read 545,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendolly View Post
We skied on the last day of Whistler this year which was April 19th I think and the skiing was fantastic. Snow falling heavily in the morning and fresh powder on the Friday but that apparently was unusual. Winds were a little high and it was icy under the powder. By afternoon the winds had exposed the ice on the lower sections. In the morning it was -19C at the peak. Blackcomb is opened till later in the year but we didn't ski it this time. The conditions actually didn't look as good.

As to what else is to do, well we were exhausted from skiing and walking so we welcomed a lovely long dinner at nights and time on the patio people watching. Plus we had a nice double jacuzzi so............
Was Whistler closed that early this year because of construction (I thought I saw that on their website) or because of other reasons like conditions? Just want to clarify beause my trip would be that week of the 20th of April. Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 PM

170 posts, read 893,446 times
I don't think so. I believe that Whistler (the mountain) always closes first and Blackcomb stays open later for glacier skiing. The conditions on Whistler were fantastic but it was the same thing at Cypress this year. Record snowfall and they could have gone on for another month but as a great many of the staff are not locals or even Canadian their visas may have been up.

Honestly I think you are taking a chance if you want to ski the week of April 20th. Certainly there was absolutely no cross-country skiing. We walked around the trails and most of the snow had gone.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:57 PM

8 posts, read 34,097 times
It all depends form year to year on how far down the mountain you will be able to ski, but there is great skiing higher up on the mountain. One mountain usually closes around the middle to the end of April, while the other mountain stays open until early June. Then Blackcomb opens for glacier skiing for the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada