Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 PM

22 posts, read 97,116 times

Advertisements

hi, im Jewel from Calif.. i visit TO in 2007 and it seems that the CITY has a lot to offer but the immigration has less to offer unlike in WPG.. my question is which CITY can actually offer work life balance and good income in which i wont live from paycheck to paycheck, is it TO or WPG ( lets not include Calgary here its a given fact that Calgary is on the top)..

my line of work is Call Center is which both cities has, me & my BF both dnt hv canadian experience..

is it easy to get blue collar jobs in WPG than in TO?
im a Filipino and both cities has active Filipino community.

and if im PR for a month and i marry my BF inside CANADA will it possible for me to work his papers while he is in canada as a visiting visa(US CITIZEN), he would jst hv to exit canada before 6mos period and re-enters again as a visiting visa until he get his PR is that possible?

y this 2 cities.. cz they are both near US border and from time to time i may need to go to chicago for a visit..

thanks so much!

Last edited by Jewelph; 02-22-2009 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: additional info..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:24 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,251 times
are you sure you are willing to move to winnipeg?
i honestly dont think youll be able to adjust to the weather coming from CA
even toronto will seem miserable but compared to winnipeg in the winter its tropical
expect sub zero F temps 5 months of the year

Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelph View Post
hi, im Jewel from Calif.. i visit TO in 2007 and it seems that the CITY has a lot to offer but the immigration has less to offer unlike in WPG.. my question is which CITY can actually offer work life balance and good income in which i wont live from paycheck to paycheck, is it TO or WPG ( lets not include Calgary here its a given fact that Calgary is on the top)..

my line of work is Call Center is which both cities has, me & my BF both dnt hv canadian experience..

is it easy to get blue collar jobs in WPG than in TO?
im a Filipino and both cities has active Filipino community.

and if im PR for a month and i marry my BF inside CANADA will it possible for me to work his papers while he is in canada as a visiting visa(US CITIZEN), he would jst hv to exit canada before 6mos period and re-enters again as a visiting visa until he get his PR is that possible?

y this 2 cities.. cz they are both near US border and from time to time i may need to go to chicago for a visit..

thanks so much!

No insult intended, but have you actually checked into the immigration process?

You really need to thoroughly read and understand the material at: Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

You don't mention how you plan on qualifying for PR status, but there are limited options when applying.

If your boyfriend is in Canada as a visitor, he can't legally work.

Check out the web site above and re-evaluate your plans.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:24 AM

The thing is, i already applied for PR and ill be gettin it in aprx 6mos from nos since im done with medical and it seems everthing is OK..

my question is..
1st, if im PR (inside CN) and my BF is VISITOR(Inside CN), can i marry him and have him sponsor for PR too while inside CN and making him leave CN before 6mos VISITOR visa laps and hv him return to US and after a week have him cross the border again for another 6mos to wait for his PR approval?

2nd, what is the best CITY u think for me in terms of LOW EMPLOYMENT rate.. im considering WPG because of MB Provincial nominee, i want to sponsor family from PH.. WPG and TO are both close to Chicago in which i also have a lot of relatives.. for Filipinos they say that the easiest way to go to CN is tru MB provincial nominee.. ONT dnt offer that fast immigration process but TO has a very nice city in which i feel very comfortable.. I dnt know abwt WPG if il feel the same way like TO, i heard abwt the crime and the weather abwt WPG, my concern is the Employment rate is it easy to get a job in WPG than in TO.. I know TO has a lot of competition to get a job..

pls help.. im confuse..
thanks for the info guys..

Old 02-23-2009, 07:34 AM

his not intending to work nor study until he gets his PR in CN..

Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Winnipeg is certainly more working class than Toronto, but it is also a lot smaller. I should also point out that it has the highest percentage of Filipinos in Canada.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Winnipeg is certainly more working class than Toronto, but it is also a lot smaller. I should also point out that it has the highest percentage of Filipinos in Canada.
thanks.. when u said "more working class" does that mean getting a job is easy in WPG compare to TO?

i also heard that cost of living in WPG is not that expensive as TO so does that mean u wont be living like paychecks to paychecks like TO residents?

I dont mind the weather thats given anywhere in Canada.. I like snows by the way.. and if its gonna be in WPG what is safer Condo or Townhouse?

thanks..

Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 AM

44 posts, read 297,715 times
How about Kingston Ontario? It is way cheaper to live in than T.O. and has employment from a university and a large prison. It is just about the same weather as Toronto, much safer though, and still close enough to visit friends in TO or Chicago. Everything in Toronto is slower !!! the mail, waiting for doctors, commuting - the city has gotten too big. Lots of young people in Kingston too because of the university, so it isn't as stuffy as some small towns.
Do you have any idea how cold -40 is (re. Winnipeg)? It is so cold it hurts. There will be an inch of ice inside your windows all winter INSIDE!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM

"Do you have any idea how cold -40 is (re. Winnipeg)? It is so cold it hurts. There will be an inch of ice inside your windows all winter INSIDE!"

INSIDE the window even with heater on? wow..
basically 2 criteria where to settle is Employment (LOW employment rate) and Fast Sponsorship..

I heard West(AB) has low employment.. i heard there are lost of jobs for OIL thing and TIM HORTONS and alikes.. not most for Accounting, Computer engineers etc.. how true it can be?

WPG under MB provincial nominee program has FAST sponsorship process to reunite families..
ONT on the other hand is the same process as the rest of Canada.. i agree TO is getting slow esp in communiting..

thanks for the response..

Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 PM

99 posts, read 218,483 times
All I know is that the crime rate in Winnipeg is double that of Toronto Winnipeg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada