Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,330 times

Advertisements

I have an acquaintance through work who was diagnosed earlier this year with a very rare type of lymphoma called mantle cell lymphoma. He is only 51 years old and has been treated at a nationally renowned cancer treatment center with a very aggressive chemotherapy but was told a few days ago that the chemo has had no effect on his tumors and that he may even be immune to the chemo. His doctor is talking about some type of stem cell transplant, but from what I can determine, that will only help if the chemo was effective in decreasing or eradicating the cancer. I am very concerned, and he is starting to have some very bad side effects from the chemo.

Is there anyone here who can enlighten me on his prognosis, based on the fact that the chemo isn't helping? He was either Stage II or Stage III when he was diagnosed, and he has a lot of inoperable tumors in his neck area. I feel terrible and would like to give him some hope, but I can't find anything positive at this point.

Anyone?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,664,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamdigger05 View Post
I have an acquaintance through work who was diagnosed earlier this year with a very rare type of lymphoma called mantle cell lymphoma. He is only 51 years old and has been treated at a nationally renowned cancer treatment center with a very aggressive chemotherapy but was told a few days ago that the chemo has had no effect on his tumors and that he may even be immune to the chemo. His doctor is talking about some type of stem cell transplant, but from what I can determine, that will only help if the chemo was effective in decreasing or eradicating the cancer. I am very concerned, and he is starting to have some very bad side effects from the chemo.

Is there anyone here who can enlighten me on his prognosis, based on the fact that the chemo isn't helping? He was either Stage II or Stage III when he was diagnosed, and he has a lot of inoperable tumors in his neck area. I feel terrible and would like to give him some hope, but I can't find anything positive at this point.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Please have your acquaintance look into Proton Beam. My husband was a patient for prostate cancer at Loma Linda. We met many patients having treatment for many things. I understand it works very well for mantle cell lymphoma resistant to chemotherapy. There are several proton beam medical facilities in the U.S. that may be able to treat, perhaps even where your acquaintance is currently being treated.

Some doctors do not know enough about proton beam. Find a doctor that does. They aren't building these extremely expensive proton beam facilities all over the world for nothing. It works well for many cancers. And, for my husband and others we met, it was painless. Even the patients having it done for brain tumors said so. It's worth looking into and talking to someone who performs this treatment.

I agree, it doesn't seem to make sense of a stem cell transplant without the chemo killing the cancer cells.

Proton Radiation Therapy

Proton Therapy Center - Conditions We Treat - MD Anderson Cancer Center

Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,336,278 times
Thank you for your reply. I have never heard of the proton beam, but I will definitely pass this information along.

Last edited by canudigit; 09-22-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 02:59 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,664,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thank you for your reply. I have never heard of the proton beam, but I will definitely pass this information along.
You are welcome. There is always hope. I know people who have been fighting cancer for years. They just keep going in hopes of a cure. Same for me, I have leukemia. If proton beam helped my type of cancer, I'd be there in a heartbeat. But I will add it is expensive and some health insurers may not cover. But they darn well should if it works IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer