Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:19 PM

12 posts, read 54,827 times

Advertisements

I realize that none of you are doctors, and I’m not looking for actual medical advice, but rather for help finding options. If you know of an option for me? Something I should look into? I would love to hear about it!

I have a huge fibroid tumor. My uterus is the same size as a seven-month-old pregnancy, and I’ve been hospitalized three times over the past year-and-a-half and gotten 5-10 units of blood transfused each time. So it’s serious, and it needs to be dealt with now.

I do not want a hysterectomy. Instead I want a procedure called Embolization where a Radiologist cuts off the supply of blood to the tumor, and it’s allowed to shrink on it’s own. It’s minimally invasive, and it would allow me to keep my uterus - which is important to me.

The problem is that they have to rule out cancer first, and the test to do that involves inserting a cotton swab into the uterus, and swabbing, and then testing the material for cancer. Sounds simple! Unfortunately the tumor has grown around the entrance to the uterus, and that makes it difficult to get in there with a swab - so they put me completely out, and did the procedure, and the doctor showed me pictures of the inside of my uterus, and she said the tumor was all healthy white tissue, and she saw no signs of cancer - and she was very enthusiastic about the outcome. But when the lab results came back, they said she hadn’t collected enough material - so the procedure would have to be done again. It took almost a year to get on the schedule for the test - since they have to put me out to do it, it’s expensive - and so it was very difficult to make it happen again - but we finally did last week. The problem now is that tumor has grown even more in the last year, and the doctor had even less access, and couldn’t get the camera in this time - and she’s not sure if she was able to collect enough material for the lab to be able to rule out cancer. So we waited almost a year for this test, and we may end up with the exact same results - not enough material collected to rule out cancer.

I have an appointment in June with the radiologist to do the Embolization - but if they can’t rule out cancer before that, the appointment will be cancelled.

So here’s my question! Are there other ways to rule out cancer? Any other kinds of tests? I have an appointment in two weeks to discuss the results of the procedure, and if they tell me they didn’t collect enough material to do the test to rule out cancer - then I want to be able to ask them about other tests. I want to do my research before that meeting, so that I can go in informed, and know what questions to ask.

I know what the standard response will be - just get the hysterectomy and let them cut out the tumor - they don’t need to rule out cancer ahead of time for that option. But I don’t want a hysterectomy, and I’m scheduled for the Embolization, and that’s the plan I want to follow. But we have to rule out cancer first...

So if you know of any other tests to rule out cancer in the uterus? Blood tests? Or some kind of external tests? Any web sites with information on this subject? I just want to do my research ahead of time, and go in informed, so I know what to ask my doctor.

Thanks in advance for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
I had a UAE back in 2003 and glad that I did. I had a D&C prior to the embolization because I was bleeding so bad. Everyone tried to talk me into a hysterectomy and was so closed minded to any other type of cure for the fibroids. I had to find a doctor in another state to perform the procedure at that time as it wasn't very well known. My GYN in my own state told me that I didn't qualify for the procedure! I will warn you...it will throw you into early menopause. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:00 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
You only go into early menopause if they remove your ovaries. They can just remove the uterus and you can avoid it. Unless you plan on having kids, it's pointless to keep your uterus and I was told you don't need pap smears anymore once your uterus is removed.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
I am a bit confused.

There is no way to know whether a fibroid is cancerous without removing it.

Any testing done on material from the uterine lining will only rule out cancer of the uterine lining, whether done by a biopsy in the office or a formal dilatation and curretage or via hysteroscopy.

If your gynecologist saw nothing at the time of the first procedure to suggest cancer of the uterine lining, I am puzzled as to why you were not allowed to proceed with the embolization at that time.

The risk of cancer in the fibroid itself is very small, but any uterine artery embolization for fibroids will carry a very small risk of embolizing a cancerous fibroid. See here:

Medscape: Medscape Access

By the way, where are you located? Why does it take so long to get such a routine procedure as a hysteroscopy or D & C scheduled? The delays you have had seem extreme.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
You only go into early menopause if they remove your ovaries. They can just remove the uterus and you can avoid it. Unless you plan on having kids, it's pointless to keep your uterus and I was told you don't need pap smears anymore once your uterus is removed.
Some, but not all, women who have the embolization procedure develop early ovarian failure afterwards. It may be that there is interference with blood flow to the ovaries.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:23 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Quote:
Cupcake, I had my UAE at Brigham & Women's in Boston and early menopause was one of the side effects you could get by having the embolization. I was 43 when I had the procedure. Apparently the blood supply is being cut off when they do the procedure and the veins run in many places. Maybe it was coincidental that I rarely had a period after the fact and then they stopped and I haven't had one in several years! I just double checked with my husband on what they told us prior to the procedure and he too remembered the GYN and the Interventional Radiologist telling us that!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I had a UAE back in 2003 and glad that I did. I had a D&C prior to the embolization because I was bleeding so bad. Everyone tried to talk me into a hysterectomy and was so closed minded to any other type of cure for the fibroids. I had to find a doctor in another state to perform the procedure at that time as it wasn't very well known. My GYN in my own state told me that I didn't qualify for the procedure! I will warn you...it will throw you into early menopause. Good luck.
Thank you for commenting tarragon! My doctor suggested the Embolization right from the start - and it's what I've always wanted - but every time I go into the ER every other doctor I encounter pushes the hysterectomy - it's definitely bucking the norm even now, to go for the Embolization - but I'm lucky that I have a doctor who suggested it.

Considering how minimally invasive the Embolization is compared to a hysterectomy, it's surprising that it's not more widely avaiiable - but I guess that will come in time...

Old 05-06-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Pointless? To keep a part of my body? I just don't see it that way...

If there is no other option, and I have to have the hysterectomy - then I will. But if there are other options, then why not do it the minimally invasive way?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If your gynecologist saw nothing at the time of the first procedure to suggest cancer of the uterine lining, I am puzzled as to why you were not allowed to proceed with the embolization at that time.
I totally agree. My doctor was so certain, based on what she saw, that everything was fine - so it was devastating when they told me that until they could officially rule out cancer, they would not move forward with the Embolization. My doctor wasn't happy, but it's hospital policy.

Quote:
The risk of cancer in the fibroid itself is very small, but any uterine artery embolization for fibroids will carry a very small risk of embolizing a cancerous fibroid. See here:

Medscape: Medscape Access
Thank you for the link!

Quote:
By the way, where are you located? Why does it take so long to get such a routine procedure as a hysteroscopy or D & C scheduled? The delays you have had seem extreme.
I'm in California, and it's beyond frustrating that it's taken so long, but this hospital is so busy, and the test is expensive, so they tried every tactic to get out of having to do it again. They really would prefer to just give me a hysterectomy, which doesn't require the tests first - so it's cheaper.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Cupcake, I had my UAE at Brigham & Women's in Boston and early menopause was one of the side effects you could get by having the embolization. I was 43 when I had the procedure. Apparently the blood supply is being cut off when they do the procedure and the veins run in many places. Maybe it was coincidental that I rarely had a period after the fact and then they stopped and I haven't had one in several years! I just double checked with my husband on what they told us prior to the procedure and he too remembered the GYN and the Interventional Radiologist telling us that!

That's not good news. I have a baseball size fibroid and I am a little bothered by it. I do not want to go into early menopause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer