Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone
My husband had a colonoscopy today, they removed a huge polyp Dr said he got it all and if he waited any longer it would have been cancer, Dr did said he couldnt see the other side because this polyp was so big..they of course are sending it to the lab and I am terrified it will be cancer although Dr didnt seem worried and said he didnt see any cancer and he will do another colonoscopy in 3 months to check it as well as check the other side that he didnt see...I am sick to my stomach...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 08:01 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,206 times
If they were were worried, the doctor would schedule the next one sooner. Maybe they want to give the wound site time to heal over so they can see how it looks the next time. Plus, if the biopsy comes back with something suspicious, they can always schedule it earlier.

DH had 13 polyps the first time, 6 two years later and 2 two years after that. None were cancerous. He is now back on an every five years schedule. All his doctors concur that as long as he keeps up with the colonoscopies, he will not have a serious issue.

In an abundance of caution, I would ask for a copy of the biopsy report. I just have heard of too many people being told over the phone that their results of a medical test were negative only to find that the actual report said otherwise or had some further comments that the doctor omitted. A lot of doctors have online portals now where you can log in and see them.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
If they were were worried, the doctor would schedule the next one sooner. Maybe they want to give the wound site time to heal over so they can see how it looks the next time. Plus, if the biopsy comes back with something suspicious, they can always schedule it earlier.

DH had 13 polyps the first time, 6 two years later and 2 two years after that. None were cancerous. He is now back on an every five years schedule. All his doctors concur that as long as he keeps up with the colonoscopies, he will not have a serious issue.

In an abundance of caution, I would ask for a copy of the biopsy report. I just have heard of too many people being told over the phone that their results of a medical test were negative only to find that the actual report said otherwise or had some further comments that the doctor omitted. A lot of doctors have online portals now where you can log in and see them.
Thank you Dragonmam

The Dr didnt seemed concerned so I assume that if it comes back negative then he isn't worried about the other side since they couldnt see as the polyp was too large?

Old 04-28-2017, 11:20 AM

348 posts, read 255,842 times
Most polyps are non-cancerous. Not to minimize your husband's situation but how would the dr. know if it would become cancer if he waited longer?

I remember polyps being called pre-cancerous which means they COULD become cancer but does not mean they WILL become cancer.

I wonder if the dr's comment was more of a general statement.

My SIL had her first colonoscopy and was freaked out when the dr. said they would send it to the lab to see if it was cancer. I told her that was normal for all polyps sent to lab for cancer screening and wonder if her dr. was too blunt in the explanation. It was non cancerous.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2017, 12:37 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
My doctor found a large polyp when I had my first colonoscopy more than 15 years ago. The entire family got colonoscopies after my BIL was diagnosed with colon cancer.

The doctor told me practically the same thing that your husband's did--that if I had waited and never had it removed, I would have had colon cancer in my 60's. She recommended a recheck anywhere between 3 to 5 years later & I fought with my insurance company for a recheck at the 3 year mark (by then, the insurance companies were getting stricter about scheduling medical procedures but my doctor went to bat for me & the recheck was covered).

No polyps at that one although the next one 5 years later showed diverticulosis. My next one will be next year.

I don't know if this information helps. Good luck to you & your husband.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
My doctor found a large polyp when I had my first colonoscopy more than 15 years ago. The entire family got colonoscopies after my BIL was diagnosed with colon cancer.

The doctor told me practically the same thing that your husband's did--that if I had waited and never had it removed, I would have had colon cancer in my 60's. She recommended a recheck anywhere between 3 to 5 years later & I fought with my insurance company for a recheck at the 3 year mark (by then, the insurance companies were getting stricter about scheduling medical procedures but my doctor went to bat for me & the recheck was covered).

No polyps at that one although the next one 5 years later showed diverticulosis. My next one will be next year.

I don't know if this information helps. Good luck to you & your husband.
My problem and my entire family on my dads side, even my 50 something daughter fights with divericulosis all the time.

op; as for polyps it seems rare a doctor finds none and most are not cancer. they send them all to be tested. I wold relax if you can until the results come back.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:17 PM

well the results are In and there is CANCER in the polyp and I am sick to my stomach, Dr thought he got it all out, he needs to go for a Catscan and blood work, and begining of June another colonoscopy I am so SCARED but trying to stay postive...

Old 05-03-2017, 08:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
well the results are In and there is CANCER in the polyp and I am sick to my stomach, Dr thought he got it all out, he needs to go for a Catscan and blood work, and begining of June another colonoscopy I am so SCARED but trying to stay postive...
I am sure we all are praying for successful treatment if treatment is needed. Try as hard as you can to keep positive. Let me tell you our story, it may help some:
several years ago hubby had a growth in his abdomen that was suspect. The surgery was done, the surgeon didn't think it was cancer. Well, it was. It was called a lipo sarcoma. At the time the oncologist told us radiation was not an option. We had to play the waiting game: it could be gone forever (unlikely) or could return in a few years. Yes, he went through the body scan routine a year later. To our shock it had returned as well as prostate cancer. We did all the positive thinking we could, he went through a 5 plus hour surgery. The good news: in just one year, they came up with a type of radiation that did work on lipo sarcomas. After a long 4 months of radiation: 2 months for the prostate and 2 for the lipo, he is fine.. It has been almost 6 years since the second cancer was found. Did it leave a few bad side effects yes but he is alive, doing well and thanks God everyday for a couple of really good doctors.

You will get through all this. But there will be times when you might say"why is?"

Old 05-03-2017, 11:44 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I am so sorry to hear this. Here's hoping that the scan and blood work results are uneventful and that he gets an all-clear on the next colonoscopy.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure we all are praying for successful treatment if treatment is needed. Try as hard as you can to keep positive. Let me tell you our story, it may help some:
several years ago hubby had a growth in his abdomen that was suspect. The surgery was done, the surgeon didn't think it was cancer. Well, it was. It was called a lipo sarcoma. At the time the oncologist told us radiation was not an option. We had to play the waiting game: it could be gone forever (unlikely) or could return in a few years. Yes, he went through the body scan routine a year later. To our shock it had returned as well as prostate cancer. We did all the positive thinking we could, he went through a 5 plus hour surgery. The good news: in just one year, they came up with a type of radiation that did work on lipo sarcomas. After a long 4 months of radiation: 2 months for the prostate and 2 for the lipo, he is fine.. It has been almost 6 years since the second cancer was found. Did it leave a few bad side effects yes but he is alive, doing well and thanks God everyday for a couple of really good doctors.

You will get through all this. But there will be times when you might say"why is?"
thank you for sharing your story

I am so glad your hubby is doing well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer