Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:26 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,238,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
If anything the advanced aging of cigarette smoker is more to do with all the chemicals in them than the tobacco which is only used to be a support for these chemicals.

At last count (that I can find since the contents of a cigarette is a closely guarded secret) there are over 4,000 chemicals used to produce each cigarette many of which by themselves are illegal for human consumption!

It's little wonder that cigarette smokers look so used up and sad.

It's interesting to note that NONE of these chemicals are used ,or present, in pipe tobacco.

On the other hand we all age faster than we should due to air/land/water pollution. So we demonize tobacco so we can die sooner due to being poisoned by our environment!
And yet pipe smokers also suffer from lung cancer, oral cancer, laryngeal cancer, rectal and colon cancer as well as heart disease, strokes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at a rate much higher than nonsmokers.

Guess you can't blame those darned chemicals.....

" Results from this large prospective study suggest that pipe smoking confers a risk of tobacco-associated disease similar to cigar smoking."
Association Between Exclusive Pipe Smoking and Mortality From Cancer and Other Diseases -- Henley et al. 96 (11): 853 -- JNCI Journal of the National Cancer Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:47 PM

303 posts, read 563,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
And yet pipe smokers also suffer from lung cancer, oral cancer, laryngeal cancer, rectal and colon cancer as well as heart disease, strokes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at a rate much higher than nonsmokers.

Guess you can't blame those darned chemicals.....

" Results from this large prospective study suggest that pipe smoking confers a risk of tobacco-associated disease similar to cigar smoking."
Association Between Exclusive Pipe Smoking and Mortality From Cancer and Other Diseases -- Henley et al. 96 (11): 853 -- JNCI Journal of the National Cancer Institute
Well, non-smokers come down with these ailments too.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:51 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,546,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Most smokers of cigarettes never consider what's in their cigarettes or they wouldn't smoke 99% of the band name cigarettes. An all tobacco cigarette is such a different animal that most smokers say they are to strong due to not having chemicals that mask the natural harness of tobacco.

As to your husband.... Well, he's probably like every other smoker who has to deal with a world of morons and know-it-alls who just can't keep their mouths shut about tobacco or smoking. These idiots never consider that once the legal precedent is established with tobacco they will be next for anything the nannys want to outlaw.

You don't get it. They ARE the nannies!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puglywump View Post
Oh please, this is really lame and a way to deflect criticism of a pathetic addiction, and I say this as I smoke a cigarette. Get real and get honest. Smoking kills.

Shall we make a list of other things which kill? If we did, would you actively pursue getting rid of them too? ALL of them?

How "safe" do you think we can make it? What's the end game? Eternal life?

Old 12-14-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
The problem is these addicts think that smoking actually is a stress reducer, and use it as a CRUTCH. No surprise that they will light up more as they look at that cigarette package!

U.S. smokers, get ready for some pretty graphic color images on 50% of your Marlboro's! Will it help you quit? Probably not. But I do believe it will deter some from starting. And if 1 person is deterred, then it was WELL worth it.

I would hate having to have one of those graphically nasty looking packs on me every single day, rain or shine.

Well, then, how about pictures of fat people with their clothes off on Big Mac's and Whoppers? How about pictures of blocked arteries on pre-cooked and processed foods? How about graphic pictures of damaged lungs from exhaust fumes with every new car? Maybe we could include a free video about diabetes with every 5 lb bag of sugar or Snickers bar.

If it deters just one person from making unhealthy choices, why not? It would be WELL worth it, wouldn't it?

Sound silly? Why? What's the difference?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
So lets just go ahead and ingest 4,000 chemicals dozens of times a day to greatly accelerate the process! Yeah!

....and while we do that, we'll will go ahead and develop a habit doing it. Sounds logical to me.

Well, let's take me for example. I'm 60 years old, in perfect health and have been smoking since I was about 12 or so. Have I "accelerated" my own death? How do you know? In order to know if I've "accelerated" it, wouldn't you have to first know how long I was supposed to live before I started smoking? What WAS my original death age?

You don't know, do you? Neither do I. Neither does anyone else. All you can offer is the odds and, as I've said before, I'm no gambler. If I were, I like the odds on Harrah's slot machines much better. How about you? Are you a gambler? If you're doing all the "right" things and avoiding all the "wrong" things, aren't you just playing the odds? Doesn't that make you a gambler?

And, what business of is of yours what I do or don't do? I don't look down my nose at you or support restricting your choices for your own good. Why are you so liberal with my choices? What gives you the right to decide what's best for me?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,226,924 times
There is not one thing that is good about smoking. Not one good thing.

I have not smoked in more than a week. I do not want to ever smoke again in my life.

I have a great life. Why would I want to ruin it?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,882,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
There is no one thing that is good about smoking. No one good thing.

I hA

http://www.city-data.com/forum/10071680-post324.html

Old 12-14-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
There is not one thing that is good about smoking. Not one good thing.

I have not smoked in more than a week. I do not want to ever smoke again in my life.

I have a great life. Why would I want to ruin it?

Good for you. Of course, I don't agree with you but would not think of forcing you to start smoking again because I do. I hope you won't join forces with those who would force me to STOP smoking because they don't.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:22 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,501,032 times
NEWS FLASH!!!...Smoking kills........so does living! But don't tell anyone...

Last edited by ino; 12-14-2009 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer