Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:46 PM

169 posts, read 186,751 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I recently moved from CA to TX, and looking to get new insurance plan. But it seems like TX auto insurance is substantially more expensive.

I've looked around a number of articles online on car insurance, and every source says the same thing: Texas car insurance premiums are lower than they're in California. However, when I pull up quotes from 5 different insurance companies, and compare by entering TX ZIP vs CA ZIP (everything else is identical), I get significantly cheaper rates with CA ZIP, by about $100-$150/month difference for the same coverage, which is a massive difference.

What am I missing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 03:50 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
That you live in a bad part of town...

Old 01-04-2017, 04:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
What city in TX are you looking at?

Old 01-04-2017, 04:11 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
There can be substantial differences just one house across the street from another if it is a zone boundary. Comparing across states isn't very valid.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:43 AM

173 posts, read 289,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
Hey!

I recently moved from CA to TX, and looking to get new insurance plan. But it seems like TX auto insurance is substantially more expensive.

I've looked around a number of articles online on car insurance, and every source says the same thing: Texas car insurance premiums are lower than they're in California. However, when I pull up quotes from 5 different insurance companies, and compare by entering TX ZIP vs CA ZIP (everything else is identical), I get significantly cheaper rates with CA ZIP, by about $100-$150/month difference for the same coverage, which is a massive difference.

What am I missing here?
There are many different factors that come into play here. Texas has a higher minimum liability requirement than California does, which may make it more costly. If you live in one of the bigger cities in Texas, that will increase your costs significantly, as well. I made the move from CA to TX and had to get a new insurance policy. Pricing was about the same.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,981 times
Depends on what cities (and which parts of those cities). My insurance is definitely cheaper in Texas than in California, but I remember moving a long time ago within Texas and seeing my insurance jump 30% from North Austin to East Dallas.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 AM

169 posts, read 186,751 times
Thanks for replying!

Hm, very interesting... I moved from Los Angeles (more expensive) to Austin (cheaper), so technically, it should be cheaper, but it isn't. Not only that, but it's significantly more expensive ($2100/year in LA vs $4000/year in Austin). Is that normal? That's a ton of money. Also, I'm living in a neighborhood that's safer when compared to the neighborhood in LA according to crime maps and rates. I can't really understand this...

And all sources I've read online say that TX HAS cheaper auto insurance than CA, like this one for example: http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/...nce-rates.html So even if it's not cheaper, I would expect it to be at least similar, and not TWICE as expensive... I'm a little lost why that's the case.

Any thoughts/advice?

Old 01-05-2017, 11:59 AM

805 posts, read 1,871,362 times
Geico told me, insurance in TX is high because of the large number of immigrants who have poor driving skills, no insurance and drive poorly maintained Mexican registered cars. All of which contributes too a high number of claims in TX compared to other states.

I would have guessed CA is the same.

Another example of why we need a wall.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
$4,000 a year in car insurance? What are you insuring and what are your limits? You might be a lot better off with a lower insured amount and putting an umbrella on it.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:47 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,731,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
Thanks for replying!

Hm, very interesting... I moved from Los Angeles (more expensive) to Austin (cheaper), so technically, it should be cheaper, but it isn't. Not only that, but it's significantly more expensive ($2100/year in LA vs $4000/year in Austin). Is that normal? That's a ton of money. Also, I'm living in a neighborhood that's safer when compared to the neighborhood in LA according to crime maps and rates. I can't really understand this...

And all sources I've read online say that TX HAS cheaper auto insurance than CA, like this one for example: Car insurance rates by state: Most and least expensive So even if it's not cheaper, I would expect it to be at least similar, and not TWICE as expensive... I'm a little lost why that's the case.

Any thoughts/advice?

That sounds outrageous!!! There are many different factors, not just location. Credit, type of vehicles, person driving (any youthful drivers?), accidents or claims and location. All of these play a part. I would look for a broker in your area that offers several carriers. Some with good rates are Erie, Travelers, AAA and Geico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance