Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:30 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times

Advertisements

I have my 26 year old daughter still on my insurance with Geico. The car is financed and titled in her name. If you live at the same address, it makes sense to be on your parent's insurance. It is assumed that they would have access to your car and they to yours (as in you each would be listed as drivers on both vehicles). We are in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I have my 26 year old daughter still on my insurance with Geico. The car is financed and titled in her name. If you live at the same address, it makes sense to be on your parent's insurance. It is assumed that they would have access to your car and they to yours (as in you each would be listed as drivers on both vehicles). We are in Maryland.
That's fine.

Just make sure that your insurance company KNOWS that the car is titled to your daughter.

It's not enough to just list the car and the driver on your policy.

Don't conceal the ownership information from your insurance company. That's dangerous.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:22 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
[quote=adjusterjack;49119341]That's fine.

Just make sure that your insurance company KNOWS that the car is titled to your daughter.

Don't conceal the ownership information from your insurance company. That's dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Its not just dangerous. Its fraud.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 AM

203 posts, read 327,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
You need to speak with your company because most likely they will not allow this. If your daughter isn't listed as a named insured on your policy then it isn't giving her the protection she needs with a car being in her name. In the event of a claim, any reimbursement will be made out to you because it's your policy and legally she won't have any protection if you have a falling out and refuse to give her the money to fix her car. This is why the legal requirement is for the policy to be written in the name(s) of the vehicle owners. Married persons are considered one entity by the state and have legal recourse if there is a separation which is why you can have a joint policy with vehicles titled to the individual. Otherwise all vehicles have to be titled to all individuals who are listed on the title.

Best to get this sorted out now before she has a claim and you end up with a huge headache trying to file for a vehicle that needs a separate policy in her name.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
[quote=markg91359;49125173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
That's fine.

Don't conceal the ownership information from your insurance company. That's dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Its not just dangerous. Its fraud.

Not only is it fraud, but the insurance company could deny a claim if you had one! Typically a child could be on the parents policy as long as they live at the same address AND the parent is also titled on the car. In some states if only the child is titled on the car and over 18 they must have their own policy. Again, every state is different and to make sure everything is legal you should call your agent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance