Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:29 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Or gave a wrong plate number that just so happened to be mine, but, yes. This is the situation I am dealing with!

The stuff they served my Mom (not me.. sewer service) says "Bergen County NJ" which is really confusing since the alleged victim lives in Bloomfield (which is Essex County) and I live in neither one of those two. The paperwork indicates filing a "Certification of Good Faith" if I do not agree with the "Track" of the case, which it gives as 2 and 4.

What is a "Certification Of Good Cause?" I want to file it.

I also may have to file an answer denying it all, attach MY stolen plate police report
In the CIS? and a letter to the court indicating that it was not me that did this.

?
You should talk to your insurance company and perhaps a lawyer in private practice. Expecting advice on what a certificate of good cause is and how to defend yourself in Court is clearly beyond the scope of this forum. I hope others besides the OP will heed my advice as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 11:14 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post

I have several project and seasonal vehicles in varying states of auto insurance and registration. ALL of them have at least comprehensive insurance, which is something like $40/yr for me, and if some crazy stuff like this happened I'd sure love to be able to call my insurer and at least have someone with some skin in the game on my side. It's not liability coverage,
Exactly. If you just have comprehensive on the car and you got sued for something that allegedly happened with that car (like Creamer1 is experiencing) your insurance company would have no skin in the game because you don't have liability coverage on that car. You'd be on your own.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:46 AM

382 posts, read 513,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Exactly. If you just have comprehensive on the car and you got sued for something that allegedly happened with that car (like Creamer1 is experiencing) your insurance company would have no skin in the game because you don't have liability coverage on that car. You'd be on your own.
I guessed you missed the part where this all happened as the result of a theft, which would be covered under the comprehensive policy...?

As I said, I'd sure like to have the insurance company sort out some of this for me if it ever came up... I never claimed they'd just blindly mail people checks.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:22 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
I guessed you missed the part where this all happened as the result of a theft, which would be covered under the comprehensive policy...?
The theft would be covered and you would be paid for the car.

Quote:

As I said, I'd sure like to have the insurance company sort out some of this for me if it ever came up.
Then you are still misunderstanding your insurance.

Theft doesn't include Liability protection. Without Liability coverage on a stolen car the only thing your insurance company will sort out is paying you for the stolen car.

If somebody claims that you are responsible for injury or damage while the car was no longer in your possession, that comes under Liability coverage. Without the Liability coverage on the stolen car your insurance company has no duty to address the claim, or defend you if you get sued about it.

You don't need to take my word for it. Read your policy. The typical Liability insuring agreement is as follows:

Quote:
INSURING AGREEMENT
A. We will pay damages for "bodily injury" or
"property damage" for which any "insured"
becomes legally responsible because of an
auto accident. Damages include prejudgment
interest awarded against the "insured". We will
settle or defend, as we consider appropriate,
any claim or suit asking for these damages. In
addition to our limit of liability, we will pay all
defense costs we incur. Our duty to settle or
defend ends when our limit of liability for this
coverage has been exhausted by payment of
judgments or settlements. We have no duty to
defend any suit or settle any claim for "bodily
injury" or "property damage" not covered under
this policy.
Note the emphasis on the last sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance