Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:48 PM

18 posts, read 32,960 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I paid off my vehicle recently (around $9,000 final payment, paid off early). I had gap insurance on the vehicle, a week after I paid my vehicle off I was in an accident that was not my fault but my car was totalled. Their insurance company (who I'm filing the claim through) is trying to lowball me and offer me $5,000 for my vehicle. I feel like I am being penalized for paying my car off early. Is there anything with my gap insurance that could help me in a situation like this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 05:06 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,827,984 times
More information is needed. What kind of vehicle - year, miles, etc?

Since there is no longer a lien on the vehicle, I don't think the gap insurance will factor in at all. If you pay a car off early, I believe you may be able to get a partial refund (depends on the terms of the policy).

Old 12-05-2017, 06:01 PM

Thanks, I will have to give my insurance a call tomorrow. The vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8. About 150,000 miles.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:28 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,827,984 times
Good luck. That $5000 is probably pretty accurate in terms of value. It's almost 12 years old and has 150K miles on it.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:34 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,595 times
The confusion many have regarding this subject comes from the failure to view the car and the loan as two separate items not really related to each other. True in the start of the loan the car may be considered as collateral but the relationship changes every month.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:44 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarth200 View Post
Hi,

I paid off my vehicle recently (around $9,000 final payment, paid off early). I had gap insurance on the vehicle, a week after I paid my vehicle off I was in an accident that was not my fault but my car was totalled. Their insurance company (who I'm filing the claim through) is trying to lowball me and offer me $5,000 for my vehicle. I feel like I am being penalized for paying my car off early. Is there anything with my gap insurance that could help me in a situation like this?

Thanks
You are overvaluing your car which is a very common issue. People want to believe their car is worth more than what it really is.

I got this number from Kelly's Blue Book. You can check it yourself if you want. Kelly's Blue Book gives a value or around $3000 for your car.

My initial reaction is you are not being "low-balled". How much do you think an eleven year old car with 150,000 miles on it is worth?

https://www.kbb.com/jeep/grand-chero...condition=good

Last edited by markg91359; 12-05-2017 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM

Markg, $3,000 on the low end for a trade in value on a standard Cherokee, this is a limited 4x4 trail rated tow package vehicle. Nada was showing around $8,900 for private sale, with that said do they normally pay out a trade in value? That wouldn't make much sense as I never trade cars in since it's a terrible value for the seller, pretty much giving the car away. Regardless of how much it may be worth, if the accident happened a week earlier gap insurance would have covered it all and I could have used that $9,000 I used to pay it off towards a new vehicle, that's why I was hoping there is something with gap insurance that helps out with a situation like this.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:58 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
Quote:
Markg, $3,000 on the low end for a trade in value on a standard Cherokee, this is a limited 4x4 trail rated tow package vehicle. Nada was showing around $8,900 for private sale, with that said do they normally pay out a trade in value? That wouldn't make much sense as I never trade cars in since it's a terrible value for the seller, pretty much giving the car away. Regardless of how much it may be worth, if the accident happened a week earlier gap insurance would have covered it all and I could have used that $9,000 I used to pay it off towards a new vehicle, that's why I was hoping there is something with gap insurance that helps out with a situation like this.
Unfortunately, the fact that you paid it off early was a calculated decision you made and in this case, it bombed from a GAP insurance standpoint. You have no GAP anymore between the value and loan balance so nothing to cover.

Now, onto the issue of value. What method of valuation did they use to arrive at their valuation number? They had to use something?? Was it some "book" value? Was it what Super Sly Used Car Lot was selling one for? Was it based on a computerized cost containment system? Did they consult a Palm Reader? They had to use some method and the key to always getting a much better settlement is using their own system against them. So, what did they use?

Also, find out your rights when dealing with their insurance company. Not all states have regulations that require the other party's insurance company to treat you as honestly or even fairly as they require your own. Knowing what recourse you have if they play games can save you a lot of grief down the road.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
If you aren't happy with the offer you have two choices:

1 - Sue the other driver and prove to a judge that your car is worth more than $5000.

2 - If you have collision coverage, make the claim on your own policy and see if you get a better deal.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
The vehicle quoted by Kelley's Blue Book is a Grand Cherokee, limited edition. It has 4 wheel drive. The towing package and the fact that it is "trail rated" might add modestly to the overall value.

What you are entitled too is "fair market value". I would say fmv is trade in value plus reasonable dealer profit for selling the car. Add all that together and I think it comes close to the $5,000.00 settlement you've been quoted.

An eleven year old car with 150,000 miles typically will not last long. Some might describe it as being on its last legs.

I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near $9,000 for such a car. The fact that it has this price tag does not mean it has a fair market value of $8,900.

Does the vehicle have new tires or any new work performed within the last calendar year? Those things might modestly increase the value.

I don't profess to be an expert about GAP Insurance. However, it seems to me that once the car is paid off its probably no longer applicable. However, the policy language would determine if you could get anything out of it in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance