Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 1,070 times

Advertisements

We have 2 cars, the one we used regularly was insured and the other wasnt. The insured car has a float and the gauge barely showed any gas, so i took the other one to fill up a can. On the way there someone pulled out in front of me and got hit. The vehicle was pretty bad so i sold it to the tow company. When i went to court i was told i can either close it as a conviction, get my license suspended, and pay tons of fees, or get insurance and pay a smaller fee. The problem is i dont have a vehicle in my name, and the only quote ive managed to get was over $800 for 6 months. I just need insurance for a day when i go to pay the fine, but everywhere ive checked/called either tries to sell me a 6 month plan, or requires i have a vin for them to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,997,057 times
So, find a company that will insure your non-existent vehicle for 6 months, pay the fine, then cancel the policy on the vehicle that doesn't exist.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 AM

15,811 posts, read 20,578,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenbrock View Post
but everywhere ive checked/called either tries to sell me a 6 month plan, or requires i have a vin for them to check.

Depending on your state, that's how it works. Insurance is tied to a vehicle and IIRC all minimum time periods are 6 months. So unfortunately you aren't going to be able to get insurance for a day and then cancel it after you go to court.

For more specific info, you'll need to give your state.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
So, find a company that will insure your non-existent vehicle for 6 months, pay the fine, then cancel the policy on the vehicle that doesn't exist.
Thanks, i was saving that as a last resort but it looks like i dont have many other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
For more specific info, you'll need to give your state.
Im in Texas

Old 01-09-2018, 12:45 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,753,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If you sold the vehicle and it's no longer in your name I don't think you'll find any insurance company to cover it as you don't own it anymore! The Ins company will see that you are no longer to titled to the vehicle.

Did you explain this when you went to court? They can't force you to have insurance on a car you no longer have. I would explain this to them and show them that you DO have insurance on your current vehicle; however, depending on what you DID tell them they are also looking that you had insurance on the day of the accident! I also don't understand why you had to go to court if someone pulled out in front of you? The way you explained it, it sounds like the other driver was at fault? I think there's a lot of missing information here.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:04 PM

15,811 posts, read 20,578,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenbrock View Post
Im in Texas
I see while some companies do offer insurance for a single day in TX, they all require vehicle information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I also don't understand why you had to go to court if someone pulled out in front of you? The way you explained it, it sounds like the other driver was at fault? I think there's a lot of missing information here.

TX requires insurance on all vehicles that are driven on the road. Driving without insurance in TX is a big deal if you are involved in an accident as the uninsured automatically is assigned liability in that case. (as they shouldn't have been on the road to begin with) From what I see, fines can vary up to $4K, lose your license, and potentially up to 1 yr in jail.

If OP is facing $4K in fines, it might be cheaper to buy a $250 beater, buy 6 months worth of insurance for it, and leave it in the driveway.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Did you explain this when you went to court? They can't force you to have insurance on a car you no longer have.
I told the judge i sold the car already, it didn't matter. I was still given the option to close it then as a conviction, or get insurance and pay a smaller fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If OP is facing $4K in fines, it might be cheaper to buy a $250 beater, buy 6 months worth of insurance for it, and leave it in the driveway.
Its looking like this is my best option. I have also seen those 1 day insurance sites, they might be able to cover me for a day if i manage to get a cheap vehicle.

Thanks for all the help everyone

Old 01-10-2018, 07:26 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,753,551 times
Just an FYI.......most insurance carriers let you pay monthly and you can cancel the policy at any time, so you don't need to keep it for 6 months. However, just make sure in the future you have insurance the next time you drive or their could be bigger consequences! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance