Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2024, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 168 times

Advertisements

Insurance agent recommends our college student stay as insured driver on our policy because its cheaper as long as they in the household and have it as a permanent residence. He moved out to an apartment closer to school, and changed his address. Title is still jointly in mine and his name. Should we just get him on his own policy? Anyone have any issues with insurance paying claims for college student not living at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 12:04 PM

21,915 posts, read 25,242,581 times
Best thing to do is read your insurance policy.

Generally, college is considered not to be a permanent residence so as long as they are full-time they can stay on the parent's policy. You should notify the insurer of the change in garaging address for the vehicle that's going off to college.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:41 PM

2,004 posts, read 978,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanOArk View Post
college student stay as insured driver on our policy because its cheaper as long as they in the household and have it as a permanent residence. He moved out to an apartment closer to school, and changed his address

You answered your own question.

Old 05-01-2024, 02:01 PM

23,404 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
You answered your own question.
^^^^ If he's now receiving mail at his apartment, that would be his primary residence address now, not yours. It may also be the address on his DL and/or bank account, or ccs. It's the address he lives at for the majority of time during a year. A "temporary" address would be something like living in a campus dorm, staying with friends for a couple of months and having mail held or forwarded, etc. In terms of insurance, they'll want the address where the car is primarily parked/garaged, so that won't be your home either. Obviously, he's still a family member but he's no longer a member of your household.

In terms of rates, it's his age bracket (16-25) that matters more to the insurer, not whether he's a college student or not. Think about it. An adult could become a student by enrolling in college at any age during their lifetime. Lots of 16-25 year olds don't attend college.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2024 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-01-2024, 03:09 PM

14,432 posts, read 14,362,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
^^^^ If he's now receiving mail at his apartment, that would be his primary residence address now, not yours. It may also be the address on his DL and/or bank account, or ccs. It's the address he lives at for the majority of time during a year. A "temporary" address would be something like living in a campus dorm, staying with friends for a couple of months and having mail held or forwarded, etc. In terms of insurance, they'll want the address where the car is primarily parked/garaged, so that won't be your home either. Obviously, he's still a family member but he's no longer a member of your household.

In terms of rates, it's his age bracket (16-25) that matters more to the insurer, not whether he's a college student or not. Think about it. An adult could become a student by enrolling in college at any age during their lifetime. Lots of 16-25 year olds don't attend college.
The legal term for what is being discussed here is "domicile". A person's domicile would be defined as the place to which they return even after they temporarily stay somewhere else. The intent to return to a specific place is key in determining domicile. When I was an undergraduate college, I lived in dorms and apartments in different places in the Salt Lake area for a period of four years. However, I always intended to return to my parent's residence after completing a semester or two. I received mail at both my parent's address and at the addresses at which I lived. My intention though was that my parent's home--was at that point in my life--my permanent residence. Its likely the insurance company would see things the same way. A child remains a member of your household even if they temporarily reside elsewhere.

As far as the original post goes, if it is cheaper to keep the child on the family's insurance policy than that is the answer so long as the child has not permanently moved away.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:51 AM

2,004 posts, read 978,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
As far as the original post goes, if it is cheaper to keep the child on the family's insurance policy than that is the answer

The answer is whatever the insurance company says they will cover; it doesn't matter how cheap it is if they aren't going to be there if something happens.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:49 AM

14,432 posts, read 14,362,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
The answer is whatever the insurance company says they will cover; it doesn't matter how cheap it is if they aren't going to be there if something happens.
I totally agree. One point I have continuously made is that not all insurance companies are equal. For example, if someone says "if you switch from USAA to Allstate you can save $300 a year" I wouldn't do it. Allstate is not the equal of USAA when it comes to claim service no matter how much some may disagree.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:15 PM

13,721 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanOArk View Post
Insurance agent recommends our college student stay as insured driver on our policy because its cheaper as long as they in the household and have it as a permanent residence. He moved out to an apartment closer to school, and changed his address. Title is still jointly in mine and his name. Should we just get him on his own policy? Anyone have any issues with insurance paying claims for college student not living at home?
I've never heard of anyone doing what you're stating. I've really only ever heard of doing what your agent is suggesting.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:25 PM

13,072 posts, read 9,598,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Best thing to do is read your insurance policy.

Generally, college is considered not to be a permanent residence so as long as they are full-time they can stay on the parent's policy. You should notify the insurer of the change in garaging address for the vehicle that's going off to college.
Pretty sure the Census Bureau considers college students residents of the town where their college is. I suppose that's because they're adults once reaching 18.

Old Today, 06:37 AM

13,721 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Pretty sure the Census Bureau considers college students residents of the town where their college is. I suppose that's because they're adults once reaching 18.
The Census isn't all that relevant.

When I was in college very few kids were on their own policy. I wasn't. My brothers weren't. Only one of my 10 or so housemates over three years was, and that was because he had joined the National Guard and took a gap year before starting school, and subsequently bought a new car upon leaving boot camp and frankly was in no way, shape or form a dependent of his parents anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance