Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:30 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

I'm going nuts here....my Dad has been in hospital/rehab/hospital since 05/14.
He is 83 and whatever the hell was wrong with him took part of his mind. He is lucid and then he wanders off to another planet. He has also become totally dependent for care.

Doctors said there is no more they can do for him and he needs a long term care facility, well only having Medicare that's not going to happen. My mother had an appointment with social services for medicaid but she's not providing what they ask for, she's always been that way about people knowing her business.

She is taking him home today, doctor, nurses have told her 100 times she is NOT capable of taking care of him and we can't be there 24/7. She's 79 and not in the best of shape either....so he comes home via ambulance today.

My husband says I need to get her declared incompentent, uncapable...how the hell do I do that as she has her faculties just being totally unreasonable here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I'm going nuts here....
My mother had an appointment with social services for medicaid but she's not providing what they ask for, she's always been that way about people knowing her business.

My husband says I need to get her declared incompentent...
You help MOM to get a lawyer to represent her interests:
New Jersey Elder Law Law Firms | New Jersey Elder Law Attorney, Attorneys, Lawyer, Lawyers in (NJ) - Lawyers.com

Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I know you don't want your Dad to be in danger but your Mom may figure it out quickly that she cannot take care of him.

Is she truly incompetent? Or just stubborn on this one issue.

Best of luck - perhaps others will have some additional insights.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I know you don't want your Dad to be in danger but your Mom may figure it out quickly that she cannot take care of him.

Is she truly incompetent? Or just stubborn on this one issue.

Best of luck - perhaps others will have some additional insights.
I don't want to see her in danger eithr by hurting herself trying to are for him and he gets reall bad at night..Sundowners they call it, but your suggestion may hopefully be the answer.

No she is not incompetent in the legal definition just not listening to reason on this,

Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If only....but she would have to be telling lawyer her business....

Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
This is difficult. I did have to go to court to declare an elderly relative incompetent. Laws vary a little from state to state but if your elder person knows who, when, and where they are, you pretty much can't do it.

HOWEVER, it would be easy to get some kind of elder advocate to say your father needs more care than your mom can provide.

Most likely, it will just take a little time for your mom to figure out she can't take care of her husband at home. She needs to be talking to the social worker and getting advice from an attorney who specializes in elder affairs.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
^ get social services involved. Things can happen much quicker that way.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
You can get a lawyer yourself and seek to have a legal guardianship created over your parents. This would allow you to make the decisions that need to be made here. Of course, you'll tread on your parent's toes and your mother will be very upset. It will also cost you some money to get this type of guardianship. I have charged $1,500.00 to do so similar work as an attorney in my state. Without your parent's consent there will be a need to have a hearing in court. A second attorney will probably have to visit with your parents and make a report to the court concerning their physical and mental competency to deal with their own needs and affairs. This report has a heavy bearing on the court's decision to create a guardianship.

The process is initiated by your attorney filing a Petition for Guardianship in the court of general jurisdiction where you live.

It can be an ugly situation and you have my empathy (I have a 93 year old mother). However, I made myself a promise long ago. That promise was that I would always do what was right for my parents, even if they were mentally or emotionally incapable of seeing what was right.

If you need any additional questions answered, feel free to send me a DM.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
This is difficult. I did have to go to court to declare an elderly relative incompetent. Laws vary a little from state to state but if your elder person knows who, when, and where they are, you pretty much can't do it.

HOWEVER, it would be easy to get some kind of elder advocate to say your father needs more care than your mom can provide. Most likely, it will just take a little time for your mom to figure out she can't take care of her husband at home. She needs to be talking to the social worker and getting advice from an attorney who specializes in elder affairs.
Thanks Yellow if she doesn't figure it out quickly that may be an option. I live over 100 miles away one way but my two sisters are close about 30 minutes to keep an eye out

Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I'm going nuts here....my Dad has been in hospital/rehab/hospital since 05/14.
He is 83 and whatever the hell was wrong with him took part of his mind. He is lucid and then he wanders off to another planet. He has also become totally dependent for care.

Doctors said there is no more they can do for him and he needs a long term care facility, well only having Medicare that's not going to happen. My mother had an appointment with social services for medicaid but she's not providing what they ask for, she's always been that way about people knowing her business.

She is taking him home today, doctor, nurses have told her 100 times she is NOT capable of taking care of him and we can't be there 24/7. She's 79 and not in the best of shape either....so he comes home via ambulance today.

My husband says I need to get her declared incompentent, uncapable...how the hell do I do that as she has her faculties just being totally unreasonable here
For the immediate present you are screwed, but....

A crisis will occur, hopefully not one that will kill either one of them, and then you will be able to resolve things very quickly. Seeing friends in this position, the unable would-be caregiver is usually quickly overwhelmed and gives in....however unhappily.

Good luck to all concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving