Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 02:04 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find some way to color mom's hair with the consideration that she's very stiff and doesn't travel well. A beauty shop trip is just too much on her so I want to do it for her. Normally, mom is bathed in a shower chair but the color couldn't happen there for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering if anyone's used a hair funnel type thing? This way she could sit behind a sink with this type of device. I've seen one on amazon, but it has poor reviews as to it's quality so I'm searching for something else and looking for suggestions, please? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 03:48 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'm trying to find some way to color mom's hair with the consideration that she's very stiff and doesn't travel well. A beauty shop trip is just too much on her so I want to do it for her. Normally, mom is bathed in a shower chair but the color couldn't happen there for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering if anyone's used a hair funnel type thing? This way she could sit behind a sink with this type of device. I've seen one on amazon, but it has poor reviews as to it's quality so I'm searching for something else and looking for suggestions, please? Thanks!
Have you asked various hairdressers in your area if they have elderly clients and go to their home to do their hair? Usually it is someone who owns their own shop or goes to assisted living facilities and does the hair of limited mobility individuals. They often have the equipment necessary to go to the home of a client rather than the client going to their shop.

I had a hairdresser who had her business attached to her home. She also did one day a week at a large assisted living facility working in their shop, but, she also had a few clients she visited who were confined to their own home.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
We had mom's hair done in the ALF were she lived. We finally put a stop to it because her hair color left stains all over her furniture. And, when she stopped having color put in, her hair turned out to be a beautiful white. Why had she been coloring it all these years?

I wonder if it would be best to just let your mom's hair go natural. Really, is it worth the trouble?

Old 10-26-2015, 10:42 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We had mom's hair done in the ALF were she lived. We finally put a stop to it because her hair color left stains all over her furniture. And, when she stopped having color put in, her hair turned out to be a beautiful white. Why had she been coloring it all these years?
I would say it depends on what her mother wants. My mother wanted hers colored even when she was in an Alzheimer's facility and so we got it colored. She never wanted her hair to be white.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:46 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times
Default What a wonderful idea!

Thank you so much, will look into this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Have you asked various hairdressers in your area if they have elderly clients and go to their home to do their hair? Usually it is someone who owns their own shop or goes to assisted living facilities and does the hair of limited mobility individuals. They often have the equipment necessary to go to the home of a client rather than the client going to their shop.

I had a hairdresser who had her business attached to her home. She also did one day a week at a large assisted living facility working in their shop, but, she also had a few clients she visited who were confined to their own home.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:29 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post

Skatergirl, I've heard that gray is in style now. Have you seen the commercial with the older woman with shoulder length hair, it's very nice.

My mom used to dye and curl her hair. It's now straight and gray with a really cute cut. It looks better now than it ever did and for some reason it makes her look younger. Maybe find pictures of attractive older woman with gray hair. Just a suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving