Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 04:59 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times

Advertisements

So I have posted about my mother and the fact that at an extremely young age she is living with my family and I. I have noticed even more so lately that she is having memory issues. Long term memory is great and when she mentioned to the doctor that she was having some memory losses (then reached over and patted me on the knee and told him it was causing stress between us) he asked her a couple of questions that he said most Alzheimer patients wouldn't be able to answer, she did.

She goes back to her primary care doctor next week and I am going to ask him to refer her out to someone to get to the bottom of this. My husband thinks she is just doing it to get attention and I wonder about that myself but want to get a professionals opinion. It seems like she can remember anything my brother tells her but can't remember anything I tell her.

For those of you who have dealt with it, what were some of the first things you noticed>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 05:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Memory problems are very complex. My husband started developing memory problems years before they were officially diagnosed. In fact, he could still answer the type of questions that doctors use for a quick memory tests for almost ten years after cognitive damage was documented through CAT scans of his brain and cognitive assessments. He was considered permanently disabled due to cognitive disabilities and he was still passing those "quick tests" in the doctor's offices. So, obviously, I don't hold them in very high regard.

If you are concerned about your mother I would recommend that she go in for a complete Neuro-psychological evaluation. It is a battery of tests that may last three to four hours. Check with the large hospitals in your area to see if they do this.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:28 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
Yes it is very complex and so strange. My mom can tell you who the president is but can't say where she is, like when the docs ask "are you in a doctors office, a library or a home."

Old 11-10-2015, 08:43 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
"It seems like she can remember anything my brother tells her but can't remember anything I tell her. "

Possible hearing loss. Has trouble hearing soft sounds (s, sh, ch, f, th, ...) and female voices. She may have high-frequency hearing loss which comes on in old age.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
"It seems like she can remember anything my brother tells her but can't remember anything I tell her. "

Possible hearing loss. Has trouble hearing soft sounds (s, sh, ch, f, th, ...) and female voices. She may have high-frequency hearing loss which comes on in old age.
Yes, it may be due to having a hearing loss but it may be something else. Perhaps, your brother is telling her about things that she is interested in remembering, or she may be "tuning you out", or you may be wrong and she is forgetting things equally for the two of you. Is one person on the phone and the other in person? That may make a difference, too. If she talks to her son briefly every day on the phone and she lives with you and you are talking to her many, many times each day she may focus on what her son says to her better.

But, it is always best get to have a hearing test for older people if you suspect a problem.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-11-2015 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-11-2015, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Hearing test. Then if there are no significant hearing issues, ask your doctor to refer her for a neuropsychological test. My mom just had that done. It takes several hours. The results were amazingly accurate and enlightening and really help my dad and I know how to treat my mom and what to expect, and never expect, from her.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Yes, it may be due to having a hearing loss but it may be something else. Perhaps, your brother is telling her about things that she is interested in remembering, or she may be "tuning you out", or you may be wrong and she is forgetting things equally for the two of you. Is one person on the phone and the other in person? That may make a difference, too. If she talks to her son briefly every day on the phone and she lives with you and you are talking to her many, many times each day she may focus on what her son says to her better.

But, it is always best get to have a hearing test for older people if you suspect a problem.
My mom had onset of both hearing loss and dementia in her early 80's. So, the OP's mom probably has both conditions as well. My mom's doctor said she couldn't diagnose her until she had her hearing tested and corrected. The coping mechanisms for disguising hearing loss can be very similar to that for disguising memory loss. I found that she was giving pat answers everytime I asked her to choose something. She would say "okay", "yes", or "either one"...

Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Thanks so much for the information, she has an appointment with her PCP next week so I am going to ask him to refer her for a hearing test first and then if that is normal, then on for a neuropsychological test.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

I don't think it is an issue of not being able to hear a female voice, I live with my husband and 3 sons and she forgets what they tell her too.

I suspect she does focus more on what my brother has to say, nothing new, but can be very frustrating.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 AM

Your mom has memory loss issues. Since she has confided this to her doctor, it's a given. I'm just saying that she may have gaps in information due to not being able to hear. I was told by the visiting nurse it was common once people reached their 80's. A hearing test at Costco or any audiologist is usually free. The hearing aids won't be covered by Medicare.

I find that my mom remembers how to do tasks so her ability to perform activities of daily living would probably be close to normal if not for the mobility problems. She has trouble remembering places and things so it's hard to tell where she really wants us to take her or what she wants for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving