Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 07:55 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times

Advertisements

In a case like this where I have multiple gifts,I like to get individual bags of trail mix for $4 or so like they sell at Target. It's healthy. I put it in a colored cellophane bag or wrap it and put a quick bow on it.

I like the socks idea too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 08:22 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
I received this beautiful pashmina scarf one year but that was over the top. The patients father was mega rich and he came in with boxes of them two years in a row at Christmas time. He also brought trays full of fabulous Greek pastries all the time. His daughter was with us for over a year an unfortunately left this planet after a hard fight. We've had family members bring in all kinds of food, and large boxes of chocolates. Those edible arrangements were nice but they don't feed a lot of people and I always missed having a piece. It's difficult to coordinate everyone you like receiving a gift so a small token like a small box of chocolates is nice for that special health care worker you've connected with. Otherwise bring something for the whole staff on two consecutive weekends. Most health care workers work every other weekend.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:37 AM

483 posts, read 854,194 times
Many healthcare facilities forbid staff from taking gifts from patients and or families. I work in a hospital and when a family member tried to give me money or a gift, I would tell them to instead buy the staff some donuts or something like that to show their appreciation. We usually write on top of the box of food that it's from the family of said patient. As a former night shift nurse, I always appreciated when there was a box for day shift and one for night shift. That let me and the other nurses know that the family members didn't forget us.

Don't stress yourself out, just get 2 large boxes of baked goods and label one for day shift and one for night shift and get one card and write your appreciation if you want and call it a day. Believe it or not, just being respectful and saying thank you is the best present that you could give the staff.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:54 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
I suspect that for a CNA a $5 target gift card would be way more useful than a pair of socks. Not that the thought isn't nice, but for such poorly paid people, that time of year can be very difficult. If they have kids the $5 could be used for their gift, or for some sort of food treat which, as a parent, is the most important thing at Christmas. (or maybe they would use it to fill a prescription, life on minimum wage is very difficult).
If you don't want to give the socks, fine by me. Do whatever floats your boat.

I am not a big fan of the gift cards. Who knows where they shop and they are easy to lose. I like crisp bills. Much easier for folks to use.

Those whose hearts go out to the poorly paid people are free to give twenty dollar bills or even a couple of them. Up to you.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:13 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I would like to give gifts to the staff who cares for my mom, but there are 15 of them. I don't get the sense that any one of them gives my mom more attention or is her primary caregiver, so I feel like I should do something for all of them. But cookies or popcorn seems lame, as does a $10 gift card to Starbucks. However, if I spend more it will get pricey quick! Any ideas of something different or meaningful?

$10 is more than a lot of people have! I wouldn't feel "lame" giving a $10 gift card, but make sure its something they can use. What if there isn't a Starbucks nearby? Perhaps a $10 gift card to....dare I say, Walmart? Or Target, or a local grocery store....in a nice card, but don't let the card be more than the gift! I got pretty good at making cards, depends on how "crafty" you are. Times are tight, don't feel you need to overspend, and don't think $10 is not appreciated

Old 12-08-2015, 01:00 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
I think two food trays--one for each shift--would be appreciated and likely not break gift giving rules.
And to go with it--I would also go buy a big Christmas tin canister and fill it with specialty tea bags & international coffee & other instant drink packets like hot cocoa & apple cider. If personal gifts are okay, you could get each person a special coffee/hot cocoa cup instead of the food trays.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:15 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
Ask the head person then decide if no personal gift and the money you have.

Tea is nice the small boxes with a nice jar of honey or jelly with maybe a 2.00 lottery ticket Acatalog I get Creative
Irish Gifts has a neat tin of tea I really like also the honey. Shipping is free and no sales tax

Old 12-08-2015, 01:30 PM

50,739 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I think two food trays--one for each shift--would be appreciated and likely not break gift giving rules.
And to go with it--I would also go buy a big Christmas tin canister and fill it with specialty tea bags & international coffee & other instant drink packets like hot cocoa & apple cider. If personal gifts are okay, you could get each person a special coffee/hot cocoa cup instead of the food trays.
Just FYI there are 3 shifts, 6am-2pm, 2-10pm and 10pm-6am. The people on the 3rd shift generally get the short end of the stick and everyone eats their portion as well as 3rd shift's before they even get on duty.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:04 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,435,221 times
Some form of food. It could be pizza for the last shifts and cinnamon rolls in the morning. Make sure you write a card thankingbthem. Rules are so strict about all you can do is food. Or a beautiful plant or floral arrangement to remain at the nurses station.

Making them feel appreciated is nice of you and wonderful for them!

I hope everything works out perfectly.

MSR

Old 12-08-2015, 02:39 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
I just got me a neat Christmas Cactus why had none they last for always! I thought 2 minutes so why not.

the food stuff seems as not for me unless a box candy and the plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving