Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:10 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times

Advertisements

I've written before where we tried to get help for my mom but she was denied because her income is $5.82 above the income limit. I have to pay one lady to go to her house and it's hurting us financially.

Mom is also paying another girl but she is so stretched that she's on a payment plan to pay for last years real estate taxes. I just got notice that her real estate taxes went up. I read an article in the newspaper that our local government needed to raise taxes because they can't make their budget. I guess they think we the people don't have a budget to meet and they can just take more. We can't stretch her income any more and I can't pay anymore.

The only thing I could think of is to tell the one girl we can't afford her anymore but that means that I will have to be there even more. I already don't have a life. It's hurting our marriage because I'm never around. Just as bad is DH is always running to take his dad to the doctors, run errands, and on and on. We're older ourselves, we won't qualify for help and need our money to take care of us during our elderly years.

I've had enough. I don't know what to do anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 08:26 PM

This cracks me up. 30% of the boomer generation is dipping into their own funds to pay for their elderly parents. They all say... "have a discussion" LOL? With who. They say there is a lot of help out there. Ya, only if you're super poor in the first place.

And if you jeopardize your own finances now, you risk putting your children in the same tough spot down the line.

With all of the overwhelming emotional and medical aspects of caring for elderly parents, it’s natural to ignore the consequences of spending large amounts of money on them. But so often adult children end up ignoring their own savings and retirement accounts or, worse, go into debt, because they’re taking care of their parents, says Tim Casserly, a lawyer in Albany who specializes in issues of elderly care.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/19/he...ient.html?_r=0

Old 07-03-2016, 08:28 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Sell the house and move her into a small apartment?

Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Sell the house and move her into a small apartment?
Yea, just that easy, if I could and made sense I would have.

I hate life. Oh yea... what life?

I don't know where parents get that their kids can just drop everything and pay. I was always careful with my money, trying to make sure I can take care of myself in my elderly years. Now I'm paying for someone else's elderly years and when I get too old to take care of myself I'm screwed.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:53 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,559,268 times
Without more details from the OP, what Harpaint says makes sense to me as well.
Perhaps you just need to vent, and that's fine. But surely you have some recourse?

Old 07-03-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Without more details from the OP, what Harpaint says makes sense to me as well.
Perhaps you just need to vent, and that's fine. But surely you have some recourse?
No I've looked at all options and nothing works except for draining my own money but if I do and since I'll never qualify for help, we're screwed, big time screwed. I HATE that old people just take for granted and think that their kids can pick up the slack.

My brother won't help, my other brother tries but you got to love how a helper said she called me because my other brother doesn't have the time grrr. Obviously my job doesn't matter, I'm made of time, my uncle says it's my place because I'm the girl in the family and because I won't move in he is bashing me to other family members. I'm exhausted and I'm being drained. I'm sick of the BS. Should say FU all and walk.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:39 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Does your state have a senior property tax deferral program?

Old 07-03-2016, 09:43 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
In some states seniors are allowed to forgo paying the property tax. Then it is taken later when the property is sold.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Does your state have a senior property tax deferral program?
Yes I applied for her and yes she was approved. The real estate taxes went up $200 if paid by the end of this month, then after 3 months it goes up $400. She can't pay the base taxes by the end of this month so she'll be charged a late fee of $400. It just never ends. I'm being as miserly as possible. A visit to the doctor because this or that is a problem and now she's set back more money, she has to go for another visit on Tuesday cha ching... I can't get her caught up.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
In some states seniors are allowed to forgo paying the property tax. Then it is taken later when the property is sold.
Because she couldn't pay I thought what you said was true and thought they could take it out of her house but that didn't work. It went to a collection agency which is being paid (payments) now. And here we go again, her taxes went up. I could pay but I'm paying so much already. I can't keep this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving