Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 01:30 PM

41 posts, read 31,393 times

Advertisements

Hi ...Looking for a baby monitor or other monitor where I can hear in my mother's room at night. I am not looking for a video monitor, as I do not want to invade her privacy to that extent at this time. I do want a monitor system where I can hear what is going on in her room at all times, but she cannot hear in our bedroom. I also want a two-way intercom so that she can call me for help if needed, and I can answer.

I do not want a high tech system like Alexa and Echo Dot, and I do not want a wireless doorbell. Anyone know of such a system? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 02:05 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
I know there is an old thread about this very subject. Search the forum a bit. They were looking for a light that sends an alarm when Mom turned it on. A baby monitor requires that you stay awake all night, listening. My SO has been in rehab with patients on a bed alarm that screamed every time they got out of bed.
An intercom is going to be a separate device.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:58 PM

209 posts, read 417,508 times
When we were caregivers for my dad, I used a baby monitor from Walmart, then switched to a monitor app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.babymonitor . I added an inexpensive phone to my cell plan & mounted it on the wall in his bedroom. (Wanted something that would wake me but not DH & the dogs.) It turned out to be too sensitive; his snoring kept setting it off unnecessarily! In the end I had to go back to the baby monitor.

Regarding the two way intercom, ??

Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
A baby monitor is your best bet...it's not an "intercom", but if she hollers, you'll hear. If she's coughing, you'll hear...if she falls, you'll hear. YOu'll simply have to go to her and see if she's ok.

We use that for my 91 year old uncle...and I use one for my husband when we are doing dialysis (we do home hemo) so I don't have to stay in the room with him for 4 hours!!! I can hear him and any alarms the dialysis machine might make if I'm out of the room.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:25 AM

56 posts, read 40,382 times
Amazon echo has a calling feature.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipm View Post
Hi ...Looking for a baby monitor or other monitor where I can hear in my mother's room at night. I am not looking for a video monitor, as I do not want to invade her privacy to that extent at this time. I do want a monitor system where I can hear what is going on in her room at all times, but she cannot hear in our bedroom. I also want a two-way intercom so that she can call me for help if needed, and I can answer.

I do not want a high tech system like Alexa and Echo Dot, and I do not want a wireless doorbell. Anyone know of such a system? Thank you!
Baby monitor sounds like enough but if you want a secondary item and bed alarm (which lays on the mattress) or call alarm which you can hang next to the bed with a cord would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving