Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 07:26 PM

605 posts, read 335,495 times

Advertisements

I've done hospice 2x and both times it was about a year or so.

We moved about a year ago so do not know them well....but have been having a couple over for dinner for the last 3-4 months. She invited me to yoga so we went for a month.

We are becoming close friends, took her to a few doctors appointments out of town. Her husband is half crazy and she seems terrified. She doesn't eat right and never exercises. She is 75. Good genes, family lives until late 80's- 90's.

Just wondered...I will say nothing but be mentally prepared. Have a feeling I'll be doing hospice again for this friend, who is also our neighbor. Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 11:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Well, I’m confused. Whatever do you mean by “doing hospice?”

Old 12-16-2018, 11:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
It depends on the cause of the water in the lungs or around the lungs (pleural effusion). Neither is necessarily terminal.

Last edited by Harpaint; 12-17-2018 at 12:49 AM..

Old 12-17-2018, 12:23 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Do you mean CHF(congestive heart failure)?

Quote:
The 1 year, 3 year, 5 year, and 10 year survival rates in the entire CHF group were 78.5%, 59.8%, 50.4% and 14.7%, respectively.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2332933
My mom died at age 75 from CHF about 4 years after being diagnosed but she had some other complicating issues. My neighbor died at age 92, after having CHF for over 20 years.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:38 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I’m confused. Whatever do you mean by “doing hospice?â€
Color me confused as well.

Doesn’t the OP already have a job? Isn’t she the main breadwinner, since her other half keeps [redacted] in a [redacted] under the [redacted]?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:10 PM

605 posts, read 335,495 times
fluffythewondercat- I have no idea what you are referring to

My experience doing hospice is both of the relatives (men) took water pills. Both had flem and fluid building up in their lungs. Only the last one, my husbands uncle, did I choose to change his bedsheets knowing he couldn't handle it and would pass away immediately.

Lady showed up to bathe him but I asked her to leave. Saying he will die soon because i need to change his sheets and fluid is building up in his lungs, it is so loud in our home, i do not want him dying of his own flem. Basically drowning.

My question was is this a repeat of my experience. Is water in the lungs and someone taking water pills terminal??? I am fine if it is. I am a Christian so will assist my neighbor but it is much easier if you are mentally prepared. Again, she is 75 years old, tells me her doc says there is "crackling in her lungs and has fluid there" so puts her on water pills.

Thank you all. I really appreciate all of the responses. Just want to be mentally prepared for another hospice experience, that's all.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:51 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,435 times
The only way to know what is going on with your neighbor is to know what his medical condition is and prognosis.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:25 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
My experience doing hospice is both of the relatives (men) took water pills. Both had flem and fluid building up in their lungs. Only the last one, my husbands uncle, did I choose to change his bedsheets knowing he couldn't handle it and would pass away immediately.

Lady showed up to bathe him but I asked her to leave. Saying he will die soon because i need to change his sheets and fluid is building up in his lungs, it is so loud in our home, i do not want him dying of his own flem. Basically drowning.

My question was is this a repeat of my experience. Is water in the lungs and someone taking water pills terminal??? I am fine if it is. I am a Christian so will assist my neighbor but it is much easier if you are mentally prepared. Again, she is 75 years old, tells me her doc says there is "crackling in her lungs and has fluid there" so puts her on water pills.

Thank you all. I really appreciate all of the responses. Just want to be mentally prepared for another hospice experience, that's all.

Do you think your post is understandable to the rest of us? I looked at some of your other posts because I thought maybe there was a reason you are not making sense but your other posts seem readable.

You seem very kind and caring. Perhaps just speak to the lady and tell her you are "there" for her. Good luck.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:19 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
I was thinking heart-failure.......lifespans vary a lot with this problem.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:43 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Diuretics are often used to treat congestive heart failure.

Are you saying that you are planning to care for this person while she is receiving hospice care? That is surely a long jump for you to make not even knowing her any better than you do. You should probably discuss this with her.

https://www.healthline.com/health/bi...rackles#causes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving