Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 11:00 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Surely. And surely none of those criticizing the old man's request here would ever do anything like he did. Right? :-)
Nope. The caregivers I had for a year following my motorcycle accident were all black or hispanic. No, we're not all like that old man. No, we're not all RACISTS.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:02 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
My stepdad was in this situation and he was paying for it out of his pocket. He does have some say. His children can't simply act like slave-masters and ignore it all. Throwing him under the bus by posting a thread like this is low class.

Most people prefer to marry those of their own race, hang out with and live around those mostly of their own race, go to church or events with those mostly of their own race, but if you're dying and ask for someone of your own race for live-in help, you're the evil and dreaded RACIST.

Surely. And surely none of those criticizing the old man's request here would ever do anything like he did. Right? :-)

1) We get it. You want the "right" to hire whoever you want when you are infirm and need care. You've said it many times. Go for it. Just don't make someone else have to be party to it when you discriminate.

2) This is a forum about how to handle caregiving issues, and this is one which is apparently not that rare. OP wanted to know if anyone else had dealt with this. Nothing "low class" about it and -- saying that an anonymous old man is being "thrown under the bus" is a misguided attempt to throw shade at someone. Besides you're not even using the term correctly.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 AM

8,328 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Nope. The caregivers I had for a year following my motorcycle accident were all black or hispanic. No, we're not all like that old man. No, we're not all RACISTS.

"...we're not all RACISTS." I agree. Only a few.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:06 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Laws against racial discrimination are not unique to the United States.
No one said they were. But there's likely to be some variation between different countries regarding what traits fall into a protected class. So MarisaMay's question wasn't unreasonable.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:07 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
My stepdad was in this situation and he was paying for it out of his pocket. He does have some say. His children can't simply act like slave-masters and ignore it all.
No, but the agency sending out caregivers must and will.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:49 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
My stepdad was in this situation and he was paying for it out of his pocket. He does have some say. His children can't simply act like slave-masters and ignore it all. Throwing him under the bus by posting a thread like this is low class.

Most people prefer to marry those of their own race, hang out with and live around those mostly of their own race, go to church or events with those mostly of their own race, but if you're dying and ask for someone of your own race for live-in help, you're the evil and dreaded RACIST.

No words.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:57 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Unfortunately not all the time. There were plenty of days no one showed up with my MIL. These aren't exactly jobs that people fall over themselves to get. In many areas there simply aren't enough aides to go around. Its hard work for someone that does a good job at it and although the agency gets compensated well, the aide gets a fraction of that. Many times when they do show up they don't want to do anything but sit there and look at your parent.

OP will still need to check up on her parents. Ask them if they ate anything, took medication, blah blah blah. If the aide did any chores that were needed like light dusting, laundry or whatever. When you find a good one that they like, you do what you can to hold on to them.
Oh I get it - agencies aren't perfect. Fortunately ours worked out fairly well, and we did go through a number of aides initially but we've settled on some who are stable.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:03 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
I happen to disagree with your statement about what "most people prefer," but at least you can't help noticing that none of those other preferences involve paying people for their services.

As a society we have agreed not to refuse employment to people based on their skin color. "Most people prefer" it that way.

No one cares what race of person you marry or hang out with.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:19 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
I would go out of my way to get to know the CNA's coming to the house and be sure to notify the office of every single black person that showed up was "such a joy to work with, loving and caring. Please be sure to send them as much as possible."

Maybe a little exposure will make them a bit less of a racist POS.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:38 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
I would go out of my way to get to know the CNA's coming to the house and be sure to notify the office of every single black person that showed up was "such a joy to work with, loving and caring. Please be sure to send them as much as possible."

Maybe a little exposure will make them a bit less of a racist POS.
Well first of all, they are not “racist POS”. They are my parents. Thank you very much.

Quite honestly, my mom has no issues with people of other races. She is a difficult controlling woman. That is for certain. It makes our relationship a very very difficult one.

Second of all, I have no way of getting to know each CNA, as I don’t have that kind of time.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 12-18-2018 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving