Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 07:53 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Some people need to be drama queens, as a way of taking one issue out- of- focus, and replace it with one that will be more acceptable, by society, and this is one of those issues....

If she really LOVES her parents, she will find someone that can take care of them, and pay them......since they have very-little-time left.......but obviously, she wants them dead......the sooner...the better.....
Wow, talk about drama! You are either a troll or have MAJOR issues of your own that need attention.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:27 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S688 View Post
I'm talking about life in general regarding our comfort level and well-being. I'm tired of people who want to dictate that "you must like and tolerate all cultures, religions and lifestyles." Treat everybody fairly? Yes. Give everybody equal opportunity? Yes.

Personally, I wouldn't care about the race of my caregiver, I'd just expect them to be capable.
But you are not giving every one "equal" opportunity if you deny someone based on their race. What part of that are you missing.

If a person specifically excludes someone from a paid position for no other reason than their skin color they are absolutely not "treating" everybody fairly.

You don't want to be my friend because of my skin color, fine no problem. You want to keep me from getting a job because of my skin color. HUGE problem.

lol, believe it or not there was this whole thing in the US called the civil rights movement. It was pretty much based on that.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:35 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times
I don't understand why when one dislikes a class/group of folks and wants to avoid them that this is considered an awful thing.

It's utterly ridiculous to think we all like all groups/types/classes of folk.

In a public venue one must accept all equally and that is as it should be.

However, in the OP case this is persons wishing to avoid a group of people in their own home.

I feel they have that right. Were the OP black and her parents wishes were to not have white or latino caregivers, or Jewish, or obese, or male, or gay, or female or whatever, I would honor that if possible.

I have groups I strongly dislike (smokers, obese, slovenly, crass, criminals, intellecually impaired, addicts, trophy hunters) and would not want to be around. We do have the right to dislike and wish to avoid people, and this needn't mean we are hate filled monsters just because we have a preference and are honest enough to state so.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:44 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I don't understand why when one dislikes a class/group of folks and wants to avoid them that this is considered an awful thing.

I have groups I strongly dislike (smokers, obese, slovenly, crass, criminals, intellecually impaired, addicts, trophy hunters) and would not want to be around. We do have the right to dislike and wish to avoid people, and this needn't mean we are hate filled monsters just because we have a preference and are honest enough to state so.
You are right, people like and dislike all type of people
But to hate people because of their color of skin (doesn't say anything about the person) is as dumb as hating people because of the color of their hair

Want to see how dumb it sounds?
"Hold on, you brought a redheaded person to my house?
Are you insane?
I've warned you many times about them"

Old 12-20-2018, 01:26 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You are right, people like and dislike all type of people
But to hate people because of their color of skin (doesn't say anything about the person) is as dumb as hating people because of the color of their hair

Want to see how dumb it sounds?
"Hold on, you brought a redheaded person to my house?
Are you insane?
I've warned you many times about them"
Yes, that would be wrong but not as far fetched as it sounds, I am red headed and I think that there is quite a bit of prejudice against redheads in the U.K. in particular.

Here there have been occasional. employment issues with redheads because of the usual very fair skin. A court case years ago involved someone being told they could not be employed as a lifeguard because they might get skin cancer and sue the council. Truth is that 70% of Australians get skin cancer anyway.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:26 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:

However, in the OP case this is persons wishing to avoid a group of people in their own home.

I feel they have that right. Were the OP black and her parents wishes were to not have white or latino caregivers, or Jewish, or obese, or male, or gay, or female or whatever, I would honor that if possible.

Feelings are not facts.

The fact is that discriminating based on race when hiring is illegal.

The OP's parents do not have the right to ask either their daughter or the agency they are using to provide caretakers to break the law.

If they want to break the law in order to hire caretakers that look just like them, then they need to place an add on Craig's List or the local newspaper and risk the lawsuit for discriminatory hiring practices themselves.

Lots of luck with that when all the scammers and incompetents(of all races) who cant get hired by an agency show up.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:

listen no one is arguing the fact that you don't have to like all people. No one even remotely expects everyone to like everyone. that's silly.

I am Black, my parents are black. My parents are civil rights babies so I know there have been times I would say they hated white folks. What my dad does not have the right ot do is to tell a company (agency) to discriminate. My mother in law is Jehovah Witness, which does not condone homosexuality. What she cannot do is call an plumber and say "please make sure they are not gay because I don't allow gays in my house".

What YOU do not have the right to do is deny someone employment based on any thing but their abilities. The place is moot. Now the second problem is these parents are in reality asking someone else to DISCRIMINATE. they are asking the agency to commit a crime. IT is illegal to discriminate based on certain classes.

So again, absolutely, you wish to avoid certain people by all means do so, but if you wish to EMPLOY citizens of this country, you must obey the law. whether you are comfortable with it or not.

I am a little stumped, have you people NOT heard of anti-discrimination laws? where has everyone been for the last 40-50 years?

Old 12-20-2018, 05:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:

You don't have to like someone.

What you can't do is deny employment based on a person's unmutable characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, religion.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:22 PM

34 posts, read 26,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
But you are not giving every one "equal" opportunity if you deny someone based on their race. What part of that are you missing.

If a person specifically excludes someone from a paid position for no other reason than their skin color they are absolutely not "treating" everybody fairly.

You don't want to be my friend because of my skin color, fine no problem. You want to keep me from getting a job because of my skin color. HUGE problem.

lol, believe it or not there was this whole thing in the US called the civil rights movement. It was pretty much based on that.
Where did I state that people should be denied a paid position?

Old 12-20-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S688 View Post
Where did I state that people should be denied a paid position?
that's what this thread is about. what are you talking about?? elderly parents want the caregiving agency to not send anyone black over.

I already said that anyone is free to have anyone they want in their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving