Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 05:18 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,201 times

Advertisements

Update::: my dad is back in the hospital. He collapsed at Panera yesterday. Somehow I got him back in the car and drove him to the ER. His bp was 80/50!! They found out he's bleeding internally from the blood thinners. Today scoped him and he has some stomach ulcers but no active bleeds. Now we have to fast track the assisted living. I'm not sure the Dr wants him to go home at all. At least now we know what's wrong with him but the trying times are still with us. Hopefully next week everything will come together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 06:26 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Update::: my dad is back in the hospital. He collapsed at Panera yesterday. Somehow I got him back in the car and drove him to the ER. His bp was 80/50!! They found out he's bleeding internally from the blood thinners. Today scoped him and he has some stomach ulcers but no active bleeds. Now we have to fast track the assisted living. I'm not sure the Dr wants him to go home at all. At least now we know what's wrong with him but the trying times are still with us. Hopefully next week everything will come together.
He probably needs to go to a rehab before assisted living. He needs a Dr cert that he is healthy enough for assisted living (vs skilled nursing) and he may need rehab to get a little stronger first. There the social worker can help you transition him to an assisted living (some rehabs/skilled nursing facilities have assisted living attached, too). Make sure the hospital keeps him three days, or Medicare won’t pay for rehab. Tell the hospital social worker and enlist her help.

Weren’t they doing labs on him? My mom has been on Coumadin (a blood thinner) and her labs and blood work were done weekly in the beginning, now less often but still kept an eye on.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:30 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
At least you know why his bp's been low. Did the doctor take him off the blood thinners? I would hope so. I know you're doing what you can to keep him safe and comfortable. Many of us have walked your path. Hang in there.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He probably needs to go to a rehab before assisted living. He needs a Dr cert that he is healthy enough for assisted living (vs skilled nursing) and he may need rehab to get a little stronger first. There the social worker can help you transition him to an assisted living (some rehabs/skilled nursing facilities have assisted living attached, too). Make sure the hospital keeps him three days, or Medicare won’t pay for rehab. Tell the hospital social worker and enlist her help.

Weren’t they doing labs on him? My mom has been on Coumadin (a blood thinner) and her labs and blood work were done weekly in the beginning, now less often but still kept an eye on.

Yea the Dr did say something about his living arrangements. He said he'd say more tomorrow.

When he was on warfarin they checked him a lot but supposedly on xarelto it isn't necessary. He had a blood panal 2 weeks ago with the cardiologist but all the NP said was his kidney level was off from the diaretic.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yea the Dr did say something about his living arrangements. He said he'd say more tomorrow.

When he was on warfarin they checked him a lot but supposedly on xarelto it isn't necessary. He had a blood panal 2 weeks ago with the cardiologist but all the NP said was his kidney level was off from the diaretic.
Well best of luck. Hopefully they’re planning to send him to rehab. If they don’t, fight for it. It will not only help him get stronger, you’ll get time to breathe and plan.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:06 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,334,760 times
Xarelto caused my stomach to bleed to the point I needed three transfusions. It's nasty stuff.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:

I tried to get him into skilled nursing but his Medicare denied it. So today I'm bringing him back to his house and I have a aide helping him in the mornings.

Tomorrow we are touring 2 assisted living facilities and 2 residential care homes. This Is all new to me I wish I could tell what would be the best fit for him. He walks with a walker slowly, has incontinence, senility, has trouble showering so I'm leaning towards residential care but he's very social and likes talking to people and activity around him. This is very hard.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I tried to get him into skilled nursing but his Medicare denied it. So today I'm bringing him back to his house and I have a aide helping him in the mornings.

Tomorrow we are touring 2 assisted living facilities and 2 residential care homes. This Is all new to me I wish I could tell what would be the best fit for him. He walks with a walker slowly, has incontinence, senility, has trouble showering so I'm leaning towards residential care but he's very social and likes talking to people and activity around him. This is very hard.
Ugh, because he wasn’t in the hospital 3 days. Or he has a managed Medicare Advantage plan (traditional Medicare doesn’t “deny” or approve rehab, all you need is three days in hospital). That sucks. How are his finances? Assisted living will be hugely expensive for him as it sounds like he needs lots of help. Has anyone discussed hospice?

Old 04-19-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Ugh, because he wasn’t in the hospital 3 days. Or he has a managed Medicare Advantage plan (traditional Medicare doesn’t “deny” or approve rehab, all you need is three days in hospital). That sucks. How are his finances? Assisted living will be hugely expensive for him as it sounds like he needs lots of help. Has anyone discussed hospice?
The caseworker said since he's walking and seems ok so he didn't qualify for skilled nursing . He has medicare and secure horizons and is still there so it's been 3 days.

I have to sell his stocks to help pay. He has 120k in stocks thankfully. When that runs out I guess it's medi-cal if he's still alive. I've brought up hospice but nobody seems to know if he'll die within 6 months. He has nothing definitively wrong with him like cancer it just seems like his body is worn out and slowly giving out. I have to take him to his internist next week. I'll ask her about hospice and see if she'll tell me how much time she thinks he has left.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
The caseworker said since he's walking and seems ok so he didn't qualify for skilled nursing . He has medicare and secure horizons and is still there so it's been 3 days. I have to sell his stocks to help pay. He has 120k in stocks thankfully. When that runs out I guess it's medi-cal if he's still alive. I've brought up hospice but nobody seems to know if he'll die within 6 months. He has nothing definitively wrong with him like cancer it just seems like his body is worn out and slowly giving out. I have to take him to his internist next week. I'll ask her about hospice and see if she'll tell me how much time she thinks he has left.
With $120,000 what you have is a carrot, use it wisely. My mom had about $100,000 and was denied by a few places until we hired a geriatric care manager who found a place that would let her stay once it ran out. She had to pay privately for 18 months. It might serve both of you to use some of his funds to hire a care manager to help find the best place for him.

Do you have both financial and health care POA? You need that ASAP and you need to talk to his investment advisor to determine the best time to sell each stock holding and investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving