Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 03:46 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Also, it's just common for people who have dementia to resist showering or bathing, for a variety of reasons, and it's hard to reason with them.

I thought this was a good article:
https://www.alz.org/help-support/car...y-care/bathing
Definitely - here's another good source of ideas:
https://www.verywellhealth.com/tips-...dementia-97622

...it may take a little creativity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 04:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Wonder if those taking more pharma drugs have more odor. I don't take any but a couple and lots of supplements. While in the rehabs for my knee, and I could not walk for months, they would wheel us in a shower chair to the shower room and the CNA would scrub us down. Oh those memories, I never want to be there again...

OP: The visiting angels can do a good job with sponge baths and wipes.

I just remembered a friend who may be gone now, I've lost track, was being given a shower by assistants and they dropped her in the shower....not good there too.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:37 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
So what is the condition of the bathtub or shower that can accomodate someone with balance problems?

Is it a bathtub and shower or a walk-in shower?

Is there shower seat or a bench in the tub/shower to sit on?

Does the bench allow someone to slide on the seat in and out of the bathtub safely without standing up?

Is there a handheld showerhead?

Is there a grab bar or a rail in the bathtub or shower to steady themselves if the seat or bench is unsteady on its own?

Have they tried cleaning or washing her without a full bath such as while seated on the toilet seat?

Since you're not there, you don't see if they've had falls or any other incidents that might have made her wary of bathing, such as an injury.
It is a walk-in shower, has a seat, grab bar, shower head holder within reach of the seat. I was there the first week that the aide came, and although Mom tried to refuse, I made it happen. I had given Mom a shower myself the month before, and realized she is too unsteady to get in and out herself, which is why I hired the aide. I'm 99% certain she hasn't ever fallen in the shower; if she did she wouldn't be able to get herself up.
I don't think a partial bath as you described would be any more palatable to Mom, but it's worth suggesting to the aide. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:39 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Dementia. Incontinence. Not bathing.

Even with a handheld showerhead, you have to be careful since she may go into a panic when she's initially sprayed with water. You have to start at the lower extremities. The water needs to be warmed up also.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:42 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Old people who are unsteady should not be forced to shower and bath. I'm only 81 soon and very unsteady due to hip replacement and I've learned to work with WIPES and do sponge bathing. So many are forced in the shower and so many falls in the shower. Not good. As I've grown old I see we are a country of more showers and baths.....there are other ways.

I knew a woman years back who had one of those sit down walk in tubs installed and that worked for a while, she's gone too.

Another friend who died at 95, fell in the shower and had to pull the emergency string and the maintenance person got in her apt and helped her up. Not good to push it.

My shower is in the tub and not a walk but step in and out and with my unsteady body I have horrible thoughts of dying in that tub...no no no.
You raise good points. Maybe even with help, it feels scary to get in and out of the shower. I was just wondering after I posted this if perhaps some kind of wipes might be a good alternative.

Thanks for your thoughts, and also thanks to all the others who posted similar thoughts about Mom feeling afraid.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
You raise good points. Maybe even with help, it feels scary to get in and out of the shower. I was just wondering after I posted this if perhaps some kind of wipes might be a good alternative.

Thanks for your thoughts, and also thanks to all the others who posted similar thoughts about Mom feeling afraid.
I keep the natural wipes industry in business. They are so useful for so much, even bending down and spot cleaning my kitchen and bathroom floors, Actually, it's probably a pretty big business today more than ever with our aging population.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:04 PM

538 posts, read 731,776 times
Showering is unnecessary. She'll be fine.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
It is not essential to shower or take a bath to get completely clean. As a young woman traveling in Europe, I could not afford private facilities. All the private homes had wash basins in the rooms, and I was able to keep myself perfectly clean. She probably needs assistance in cleaning, but many people throughout the world keep themselves clean without showers or tubs.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:38 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Mom (88) and Dad (90) both have early dementia but still live alone in their house (they should not, but that's another whole topic). I live outside of the country, see them 4-5 times a year, so I'm limited on what I can accomplish from afar.

I hired a company called Visiting Angels to come in to do some cleaning and cooking for Mom and Dad but primarily to get Mom safely in and out of the shower. Mom cannot (and should not) do this by herself as she is too unsteady. I just learned that most weeks she is refusing to let the Visiting Angel help her shower. So apparently weeks are going by with no shower. That cannot be healthy for her skin, right? (to say nothing of the ick factor.)

There is no reasoning with Mom as she has always been stubborn. She is totally opposed to moving to assisted living, or even to moving in with my brother (he is willing but will not force her when she says no) .

Any words of wisdom for this situation?
Welcome to the club. Start scoping out nursing homes and get to know the intricacies of Medicaid.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:39 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Definitely - here's another good source of ideas:
https://www.verywellhealth.com/tips-...dementia-97622

...it may take a little creativity.
It is a re- write of the information from alz.com that KA posted: they just changed the format and re-phrased it to avoid a plagiarism accusation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving