Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:12 PM

41 posts, read 120,777 times

Advertisements

I am driving from Houston, Texas to the Cleveland, Ohio area next week and bringing my cat and need advice on her safe transportation.

I drive a four door sedan and plan to have her in the back on the floor (the foot area for back passengers). I figure it'll feel safe since she'll be in a hole-like environment and won't see moving things through the windows. I'm going to be laying out comfy blankets and a litter box, along with a deep dish water bowl and dry food. I'll bring lots of garbage bags and paper towels for messies.

I plan to take frequent stops and make sure she's OK, but I think she may be crying the whole time since every visit to the vet is like hearing a kitty opera!

I hear vets give out medicine to make kitties sleepy, but I'm afraid of doing it to my cat. I'll be driving for so long I figure the medicine will just wear out anyway after a few hours, not to mention if she reacts badly to the medicine, I won't be able to find a vet in the middle of no where.

Any advice to make her more comfortable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 02:24 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
Don't leave your kitty loose in your car, or sedate her. Get a pet carrier (hard plastic kind), and make sure that it's large enough for her food and water, plus a small litter pan. By leaving your kitty loose in your car, she could get underfoot or cause an accident. Get some Bachs Rescue Remedy instead, it'll calm her down.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Get some Bachs Rescue Remedy instead, it'll calm her down.
What is this? Can I find it somewhere other than a vet?

Also, I feel comfortable not using a pet carrier since I'm effectively walling off the back of the car (where my kitty will be) and me up front with a net. She can always jump on the back seat insteadof stay low, but she's such a timid cat. She stays absolutely stiff during trips to the vet. Plus, it's a 21 hour drive - I reallly hate to keep her so confined.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:47 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,373,481 times
I drove from Maryland to Texas - and Texas to Florida with cats before. The trip shouldn't take you more than 2 days, tops. I've tried everything in the past, - this is what I recommend you do.

Don't leave her loose in the car. It will stress her out - you may think you're being nice, but you're stressing her out! And its dangerous if you open the door, no matter how safe you think you are. Think how horrible it's going to be if she bolts past you out the door in the middle of a parking lot off of some major interstate at a hotel or diner or something. Not only will you never see her again, but do you really have the means to camp out in the area for the week-months it might take to find her again?

Get a kennel, a large dog kennel if need be, put some blankets/towels and something that smells like you (a sweater or pair of jeans) in it, and put her in it.
I always had mine in the front seat so I could keep eye contact on them thinking if they saw me, they would feel safer.. but turns out, if you cover the kennel with a blanket so it's dark (but ventilated) they will settle down and just go to sleep for the majority of the ride. They always cry for the first 20-30 minutes, then it's over.

I tried stopping and having a potty break/snack break for me and the kitties every few 100 miles - this didn't work either. They won't go to the bathroom. They won't eat. Make sure you book a room that accepts pets. And usually they'll let you know when its time to pull over as it gets later. Make the kennel the last thing you bring in, and don't open the door until you've set the litterbox and the fresh food/water out on the floor where they can see it. And don't make a big hooplah when you let them out, just let her explore/sniff/find the food/water/litter - give her about 20 minutes to adjust before going to love on her/him before you get ready for bed. (warning - most hotel rooms have these horrible open-bottom beds that are very thin and narrow, and you will never never get your cat out from inside/underneath of it - make sure you check this before opening the door to the kennel.

Usually because they slept all day, the kitties would be roaming around, stretching, exploring, etc, during the night - then ready to go again in the morning. Don't feel bad about not letting them go to the bathroom during the day - I promise it's fruitless to try. lol

Also - loud wind from the windows being down in the car or loud music going can stress them out. But the driving/motion will put them to sleep once they calm down.

Bach's flower rescue remedy will work. (never had any luck finding at Petco or Petsmart, but actually at your local Whole Foods or Fresh Market) Rub some into your hands, then rub it into their ears and fur. Sedating your kitty can make their stomachs upset, and can cause more problems than solve - during a long car ride.

Above all else, just be patient with yourself. I know your first instinct is going to feel horrible and neglectful - but if you just leave your kitty alone to nap it out for a bit, they will, and you both will be fine.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
I drove from Maryland to Texas - and Texas to Florida with cats before. The trip shouldn't take you more than 2 days, tops. I've tried everything in the past, - this is what I recommend you do.

Don't leave her loose in the car. It will stress her out - you may think you're being nice, but you're stressing her out! And its dangerous if you open the door, no matter how safe you think you are. Think how horrible it's going to be if she bolts past you out the door in the middle of a parking lot off of some major interstate at a hotel or diner or something. Not only will you never see her again, but do you really have the means to camp out in the area for the week-months it might take to find her again?

Get a kennel, a large dog kennel if need be, put some blankets/towels and something that smells like you (a sweater or pair of jeans) in it, and put her in it.
I always had mine in the front seat so I could keep eye contact on them thinking if they saw me, they would feel safer.. but turns out, if you cover the kennel with a blanket so it's dark (but ventilated) they will settle down and just go to sleep for the majority of the ride. They always cry for the first 20-30 minutes, then it's over.

I tried stopping and having a potty break/snack break for me and the kitties every few 100 miles - this didn't work either. They won't go to the bathroom. They won't eat. Make sure you book a room that accepts pets. And usually they'll let you know when its time to pull over as it gets later. Make the kennel the last thing you bring in, and don't open the door until you've set the litterbox and the fresh food/water out on the floor where they can see it. And don't make a big hooplah when you let them out, just let her explore/sniff/find the food/water/litter - give her about 20 minutes to adjust before going to love on her/him before you get ready for bed. (warning - most hotel rooms have these horrible open-bottom beds that are very thin and narrow, and you will never never get your cat out from inside/underneath of it - make sure you check this before opening the door to the kennel.

Usually because they slept all day, the kitties would be roaming around, stretching, exploring, etc, during the night - then ready to go again in the morning. Don't feel bad about not letting them go to the bathroom during the day - I promise it's fruitless to try. lol

Also - loud wind from the windows being down in the car or loud music going can stress them out. But the driving/motion will put them to sleep once they calm down.

Bach's flower rescue remedy will work. (never had any luck finding at Petco or Petsmart, but actually at your local Whole Foods or Fresh Market) Rub some into your hands, then rub it into their ears and fur. Sedating your kitty can make their stomachs upset, and can cause more problems than solve - during a long car ride.

Above all else, just be patient with yourself. I know your first instinct is going to feel horrible and neglectful - but if you just leave your kitty alone to nap it out for a bit, they will, and you both will be fine.
Wow, you're definitely convicing me! I like the idea of a huge pet carrier. I didn't like the smaller ones I have so I figured I might as well let her roam in the back. I think I'll definitely change to fit what you said and have her on the front seat with a blanket over it so I can see her if I need to. You're right, I definitely don't want her to jump out of the car at every rest stop! I figured she'd be so timid, but you just never know...

How much do cheapo dog kennels cost?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 PM

232 posts, read 542,676 times
Here's another reason to not leave kitty loose in the car. I thought I was being nice. I drive from NH to NC to see mom a few times a year with my tabby.

Then I hear a wooshing sound....he had stood on the button to open the passenger side window as we were going 65 mph down the highway! Standing at the armrest right in front of the open window! I could have lost him! I never thought about the window locks...I don't have kids.

I made a quick scoop for him and grabbed him...swerving over 2 lanes of road....thank heavens I was driving overnight and it was 2am (no traffic) instead of a road full of cars. That scared me like you wouldn't believe and it must have been horrifying for the little guy.

We arrive in NC none the worse for the wear. My mom pets kitty and drops her voice quietly (which usually means I'm about to get a polite lecture) and says "Don't you think you should get a kennel for the kitty?"

What a great idea!! So we went out and I got a big, dog sized kennel.

Intersetingly enough....on one trip, he actually did use the litter pan to wee-wee a bit. He does as well as a caged cat can do

Old 06-10-2010, 03:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Having your cat unrestricted in the car is the worse possible thing you can do. Think about it...what happens if your in an accident? Would you let your child ride without a seatbelt?
We just made a trip from Tx to Fl last week and brought one of our cats. He sat in a huge carrier similar to this one(Although it was a bit larger)
Pet Travel Crates - Lightweight, Foldable Transportation for Your Pet

You can bring a litter box and offer it to him during stops....but historically, our cats never eat, drink or use the box when traveling. They always seem to want to wait until the hotel stop or we get to our destination.
I would bring some Bachs Rescue Remedy with you....Your cat may decide he will howl the whole time...especially if he is not use to riding in a car. Mine are great travelers, as they have been traveling with us since they were kittens. Never hear a peep out of them.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:28 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
Look on Craigslist for pet kennels. I got one for $20, and it would have cost $40 new. Mine will hold a Beagle, but it's for my large, fat cat.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:34 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,373,481 times
I did some research for you. I knew we'd addressed this before!

Driving Across Country - CA to MI - 2 Cat

2 animals, 1 human, 1 car. 17hr voyage

Any tips for moving our two cats?

I hope I did the snazzy link-job right. It's always an adventure!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
My cats refused to eat, drinbk, or use the litterbox for the 3.5 days it took me to move cross country. They waited form a motel room at night. Absolutely use a cat carrier b/c your baby will get hurt if you have to brake suddenly or worse, get in an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats