Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:12 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times

Advertisements

... when I went to tell her NOT to feed the feral cats on Monday. The rescue is going to try to trap as many cats as possible on Tuesday and they asked everyone not to feed them so they will be hungry. One of the five kittens got hit by a car but today I spotted another 3 baby kittens on their porch. I am so beside my self with anger. Now, not only do they have to trap a bunch of adults, they have to take at least 7 kittens. Other neighbors have vowed to call animal control if something isn't done.

So yesterday I stepped onto her property to talk to the woman and her stupid (yes, stupid vicious and non-stop barking chiuauau) bit the back of my leg enough to put a big bruise on it. I'm sure it's been vetted, but how can I tell them that they need to shorten its lead so that my kids don't get attacked? I want to be nice, but I also want to send a message that their dog is a big nuisance, as is their feral colony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
As long as the length of the dog's lead stays on your neighbor's property, there really is not much you can do except for keeping your children on your property.

And it is not worth getting angry about the cat situation. You will only end up hurting yourself. I understand totally the nuisance situations like this can be, for I have walked it. I am speaking from experience that anger will lead to you getting ill. Take a deep breath and have faith that all will be taken care of.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I've been there with non-stop barking dogs. They can be a real pain, especially if one keeps non-standard hours as I do. Chained-up dogs aren't even legal in parts of DFW any more.

Call Animal Control if you have one. Your neighbor sounds like a real peach.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:52 PM

They are outside when they have them on leads. They spoil these chi's big time. But the thing that got me was that she saw that he got me and she didn't even freaking apologize! That alone makes me want to call animal control on them. I'm not evil, but I really hate her dogs.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:25 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Chihuahuas are not my favorite breed of dog by a long shot. I'd call animal control in a nanosecond if the neighbor saw one of her dogs bite me and didn't even deign to comment.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Homeowner's insurance carriers usually pay a small sum to dispose of the claim even on the first bite. It doesn't matter where it occurs unless you break into their house. Then, the insurer becomes the driving force to get the homeowner to avoid another claim, usually by the agent telling them that they will be canceled with two bites from the same dog. So, you get a couple of hundred dollars to sign a release from the bite and then the insurance company nags the owner. All is good!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Homeowner's insurance carriers usually pay a small sum to dispose of the claim even on the first bite. It doesn't matter where it occurs unless you break into their house. Then, the insurer becomes the driving force to get the homeowner to avoid another claim, usually by the agent telling them that they will be canceled with two bites from the same dog. So, you get a couple of hundred dollars to sign a release from the bite and then the insurance company nags the owner. All is good!
So what exactly are you saying? That if I file a claim against their homeowners insurance, I'll get a few hundred dollars? I'm not sure if it's worth it to me, but I will tell you that they've been avoiding eye contact with me since this incident. Everyone I've spoken with told me that they need to know that their dog bit me. It came out snarling at my daughter last night. She's been instructed by us to stay far away from the little beast.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
LOL Could you rephrase, Counselor, so that we common people can understand what you are saying??? LOL

Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
I'm the first one to say people shouldn't tie their dogs up and leave them outside, I think it's cruel and leads to behavior issues...especially a high-maintenance breed like chi's. They belong inside with their humans, and they are extremely territorial of both their space and their people. These are definitely irresponsible owners to leave that poor little chi out there, and the fact that it's barking non-stop tells me he is not happy about it either...BUT...You walked onto their property in an angry state and as far as that dog knows, it was only doing its job...protecting its territory and owners from an angry "trespasser". I understand you're upset that you got bit, but calling the dog "stupid" isn't right...it's the owners that are stupid for not understanding the breed and it's tendency to yap and bite, for not training it properly, and for leaving it outside to annoy the neighbors and snap at children. NOT the poor dog's fault. It's good you instructed your daughter to stay away from him...generally speaking, chi's and kids are a terrible combination in most cases. I would call animal control and let them know that poor dog is being neglected and left outside in the heat...makes me so angry...there have been countless cases of heatstroke already this year, and it can kill a dog very easily. These people don't deserve that little dog. It's owners like this that gives the breed a bad name...as the saying goes "Punish the DEED, not the breed"!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I'm the first one to say people shouldn't tie their dogs up and leave them outside, I think it's cruel and leads to behavior issues...especially a high-maintenance breed like chi's. They belong inside with their humans, and they are extremely territorial of both their space and their people. These are definitely irresponsible owners to leave that poor little chi out there, and the fact that it's barking non-stop tells me he is not happy about it either...BUT...You walked onto their property in an angry state and as far as that dog knows, it was only doing its job...protecting its territory and owners from an angry "trespasser". I understand you're upset that you got bit, but calling the dog "stupid" isn't right...it's the owners that are stupid for not understanding the breed and it's tendency to yap and bite, for not training it properly, and for leaving it outside to annoy the neighbors and snap at children. NOT the poor dog's fault. It's good you instructed your daughter to stay away from him...generally speaking, chi's and kids are a terrible combination in most cases. I would call animal control and let them know that poor dog is being neglected and left outside in the heat...makes me so angry...there have been countless cases of heatstroke already this year, and it can kill a dog very easily. These people don't deserve that little dog. It's owners like this that gives the breed a bad name...as the saying goes "Punish the DEED, not the breed"!!!
Much wisdom here. Thank you for speaking truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats