Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

I am really at the end of my rope with these fleas, I tell ya! My 3 cats and 1 dog have been fighting fleas since early summer, and it's now cost me probably $300+ in treatments that haven't done diddly-squat. In the last few months each cat has had 2 Capstar pills & maybe 3 Frontline Plus applications... the dog's had 6 Capstar pills, and 4 tubs of Frontline Plus. The fleas go away for a short time, but even with the Frontline (which supposedly kills all life cycles for 30 days) they're back in a week.

What now??? Any other suggestions on better products, and why aren't these working? Some vets have been saying the fleas are building an immunity, so I wonder if anything is going to work now. Oh, and I have treated the house naturally, with a "green" product and heavy vacuuming... can't do any pesticides, since they would kill my large snake collection. I'm planning to try the dish soap trick next (spraying the house with soap & water), but it seems futile when the fleas are still crawling on my critters. Argh!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 10:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I am really at the end of my rope with these fleas, I tell ya! My 3 cats and 1 dog have been fighting fleas since early summer, and it's now cost me probably $300+ in treatments that haven't done diddly-squat. In the last 4-5 months each cat has had 2 Capstar pills & maybe 3 Frontline Plus applications... the dog's had 6 Capstar pills, and 4 tubs of Frontline Plus. The fleas go away for a short time, but even with the Frontline (which supposedly kills all life cycles for 30 days) they're back in a week.

What now??? Any other suggestions on better products, and why aren't these working? Some vets have been saying the fleas are building an immunity, so I wonder if anything is going to work now! Oh, and I have treated the house naturally, with a "green" product and heavy vacuuming... can't do any pesticides, since they would kill my large snake collection. I'm planning to try the dish soap trick next (spraying the house with soap & water), but it seems futile when the fleas are still crawling on my critters. Argh!!!!
You have to couple the CAPSTAR with PROGRAM because the Capstar only kills the fleas that are on them at the moment. As soon as the eggs hatch they are going to be all over them again (5 or 6 days). The Program prevents the eggs from maturing and hatching.

Even so, you are going to have flea eggs in the carpet or cat bedding or "wherever" or even bring them in from the outside on your shoes. If you want to be 100 percent flea-free you are going to have to have your house PROFESSIONALLY treated for fleas in addition to routine Capstar and Program treatments. But the Capstar and Program will keep them at bay and make it at least livable for them.

It's not easy believe me.

It's a constant battle. But don't give up.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 PM

Thanks, I'll look into trying Program AND Frontline next time... gotta wait a few weeks, since they just had treatments a week ago. I'm not going to bother professionally treating the house, as I'm planning to move in January - and like I mentioned, pesticides can't be used around my snakes (who'd be difficult to remove for 24 hours). Hopefully my next place will be flea-free, and then I can start with a clean slate.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thanks, I'll look into trying Program AND Frontline next time... gotta wait a few weeks, since they just had treatments a week ago. I'm not going to bother professionally treating the house, as I'm planning to move in January - and like I mentioned, pesticides can't be used around my snakes (who'd be difficult to remove for 24 hours). Hopefully my next place will be flea-free, and then I can start with a clean slate.
Capstar. Program and Capstar. I would not use it with Frontline because it might be too much chemical. Capstar and Program are formulated to work together.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Capstar. Program and Capstar. I would not use it with Frontline because it might be too much chemical. Capstar and Program are formulated to work together.

20yrsinBranson
Whoops... I read too fast, LOL. Gotcha.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I had minimal success with Frontline on my five and one was severely allergic to Frontline and had to go on Capstar (which, as noted, only kills the fleas actually on the animal at the time). Then came Revolution. Awesome. They've been on Revolution now for a couple of years and I swear by it. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I would mix it up like that; I have had Frontline resistant fleas before. Make sure whatever you use is safe on cats. I would figure out a way to bomb the house if any way possible at least if you ARE moving get snakes out and bomb everything else, but I have heard diatomaceous earth is safe and non toxic inside the hosue .... even had a friend use the nematodes for fleas in the house (though I cant imagine they lived for long because of their requirement for moisture)...she had a nightmare population of those fleas which turned around and got on my dogs.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I never had any luck with Frontline either. Revolution works well at my house.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
The house needs to be treated. If you won't fog or get a professional in you can try boric acid. I've heard this works by slicing the fleas and it's non toxic to dogs and cats (snakes, i don't know?). I'm not sure if it will help, anyone else heard of this?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks everyone! So should I go with Revolution alone, Revolution & Capstar, or Capstar & Program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats