Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,421 times

Advertisements

I am fostering a 3 year old domestic short hair female. The vet techs were not able to tell me a great deal about her history other than she needs socialization and "hides". The no-kill shelter would like her to be less skittish to be able to live in a pod with the other cats and also be more adoptable.

My experience over the last 72 hours is that she has been very affectionate. She purrs, weaves, and seeks laps for petting and spends the evening on the sofa while we watch a movie or tv. Then, seemingly for no reason at all she will hide under the sofa (or bed) for hours and either emerges on her own or needs to be coaxed out. She will then be OK. She doesn't seem to be adversly affected by household noises---dishwasher, tv, music, fans, etc., however sometimes a door closing (not slamming), or a toilet lid being closed will send her into isolation mode.

I've also noticed that she is not interested in playing, chasing a ball or string. The main living area is open to a screened lanai and the weather is nice. She has cautiously explored the area but shows no interest in chasing the little geckos or lying out in the sun. She has a respiratory infection and is on doxycicline 2x daily for 5 days. She was very congested and sneezing but these symptoms have vastly improved. Her appetite has improved as well and her elimination is normal.

She was interacting well this morning, had her med, ate, drank and then went under the sofa where she has remained for 4 hours. I am going to try and coax her out now.

Any of your comments, observations, advice and experience on how I can help this kitty would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
I impressed she isn't hiding for longer lengths of time.
Do you have other cats in your home?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Working with wild cats who turned up at my home very ill or dying.......I can tell you a few very basic things to do.

In all you do with this cat, do these things in LOVE, gentleness, and compassion. Let this cat "feel" an outpouring of LOVE with all interactions. Never force this cat to do anything and when you must handle him for medications, do so with great tenderness. Speak in soothing, loving tones as if speaking to a newborn child. Sing to this cat. Move as if you are in water, with graceful and very slow movements. And no matter how often this cat runs or turns to hide, tell him how brave he is, how loved he is, and have patience for him to react to the outpouring of love by you.

Some cats just do not come willingly. It sounds as if this poor cat has been subjected to abuse and abandonment issues. I tend to reverse roles and think how I would feel in strange surroundings, no one who seems to love or care for me, and with a history of abuse/neglect/abandonment. This helps me to treat the cat in question with endless patience and consistent LOVE.

I hope I have helped. God bless you for fostering this little angel, and we will have all paws crossed here that he begins to leave his terror behind him.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Lola, no other cats in the home. Garden of Eden, I am doing all that you suggest. I just talked, cooed, petted her out from beneath the sofa and she ate and drank a bit and is nudging my DH for petting which he is providing...

Old 04-04-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
Lola, no other cats in the home. Garden of Eden, I am doing all that you suggest. I just talked, cooed, petted her out from beneath the sofa and she ate and drank a bit and is nudging my DH for petting which he is providing...
Sounds like she doing EXCELLENT interacting with you and hubby. That's great.
I don't know how you are going to get her adjusted to being less skittish around other felines unless...you foster another or adopt.

As far as her interest in the outside...The latest addition to our family was an outdoor cat for 5 years. I thought she was going to be difficult to turn her into an indoor only cat. Nope. She rarely looks out a door or window. She has no interest in going outside at all. She doesn't chase or show interest in the occasional lizard or gecko that gets inside. She does play a lot. She is more of a friend to the humans in the home, rather than the other cats or dogs.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Just keep on doing that you are doing; these cases take a lot of time, patience and understanding.

As Lola stated, I am also surprised that she is even on the couch with you at all: that speaks to her [high] opinion of you and her willingness to trust.

I had two shelter kitties at one point who, as soon as they came home with us, went and hid in the basement. They found tunnels in the walls and hid for a solid month. They came out when I called to them and allowed me to pet them but did not want to explore the rest of the house, which probably seemed huge and overwhelming. However, in time, they eventually came out, although one continued to hide in a whole in the ceiling whenever she got the chance (I know, it sounds like I grew up in a crack house; it wasn't, just an old farm house with a lot of quirks). Some cats never grow out of their streetwise experiences, although most eventually come to trust (or tolerate) their caregivers, to some degree.

I would let her do whatever she wants. She will eventually become accustomed, although it will take a while. Just be patient and always allow her to go to her "safe spots" whenever she is feeling overwhelmed, especially considering that she is ill. She may become bolder once she is feeling better.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I will post updates on her progress!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:24 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
lots of patience, lots of love. let her do things in HER time.

is she sleeping when shes hiding? or just... hiding? if shes sleeping it could be because shes not comfortable sleeping around you yet.

the meds might be affecting her some too with side effects right now.

sounds like youre doing the right things. just give her time.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
I agree with ^^^ posters. You ARE doing all the right things and I for one, applaud you! Just keep on doing what you are doing, and as I have learned, love eventually wins. Great job!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
The no-kill shelter would like her to be less skittish to be able to live in a pod with the other cats and also be more adoptable.
Fellow posters, you still need to respond to the issue mentioned above!
(OP needs to foster or adopt another.) We CAN do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats