Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

Recently, my mother passed away. We are in the process of integrating her kitty in with our existing pair and things seem to be coming along nicely, despite a little hissing now and then.

But that isn't what I am writing about. LOL

Since my mother's passing we have no one that would be called "in case of emergency". My husband and I do not have "friends" per se, and few acquaintances, certainly none that would be able to take care of our cats if we were incapacitated or, heaven forbid, dead.

Every time I go out now, I worry that something would happen to my husband and I and no one would know that our cats are home starving to death (or dying from dehydration).

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can handle this? Please don't tell me to make friends because that really is not an option. I have thought about talking with someone the animal shelter, but I don't know how good of an idea that would be either. I thought about perhaps contacting someone on the board of the animal shelter, and I may do that as a last resort if I can't come up with a better idea.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Has anyone else had to deal with this kind of issue?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 04:35 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
I'm looking at my own situation in your own words. I wish I could give you some advice, and I will be all "ears" to hear the advice you get. I do have acquaintances, but none that I would trust with the care of our babies.

It boils down to this for me, 20yrsinBranson. Faith that I will outlive my babies. No one I know does what I do, or cares for felines like I do, and God forbid if anything happened to hubs or I! I've made a decision, not fully committed, that if anything would happen to both my husband and myself, my vet would euthanize all of my babies for us. Legally, I don't know if this is possible, but this is one of the subjects I need to speak to her about.

I know this is drastic measures, but the thought of my precious furrangels in a shelter or with people who don't know how to take care of them because they know nothing of their health history......that is stuff nightmares are made for me.

There are some really really really tough decisions to make in life, and this is one of them.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I hope someone has an idea about who could care for your pet. One first step could be putting a card in your wallet, where they'd look for ID if something happened to you & your husband while you were out, that you have cats at home who would need help.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I hope someone has an idea about who could care for your pet. One first step could be putting a card in your wallet, where they'd look for ID if something happened to you & your husband while you were out, that you have cats at home who would need help.
Probably the best idea. All my neighbors, friends, and family know I have pets that need to be taken care of.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Excellent idea! I have also been thinking between now and my first post. If at all possible, have a section in your will regarding your pets as to what your wishes are, and contact someone in your family regarding those wishes.

For example......IF something should happen to hubs and I and we died. I would have a plan in motion that if that be the case, now with information in my wallet.....thank you, subject2change......as to the contact person to be in order for your demise to be known. That same person would know your wishes, and carry them out.

God, what morbid thoughts. I have to get off this thread.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Also, you could not just talk to someone at an animal shelter, but maybe volunteer an hour or so a week. They always need people to socialize the cats. This is something that would really help the cats in there, and it might benefit you because you could make them aware you don't have anyone to take care of your cats if God forbid you were gone. Since they'd know you, I bet you could be extra assured they'd take good care of them until they found homes. Some shelters do have cage-free cat colonies.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
What will happen to our pets if we can no longer care for them? Here is a link to the ASPCA Pet Trust Primer. ASPCA | Pet Trust Primer It is sad to think about ever leaving my pets but it is better to be prepared than not. At this moment I expect to live many more years but just in case...
I would also suggest that you leave a note in your wallet for someone to find if needed.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
of course you can make provisions for the care of your pets in your will but remember wills are sometimes not found or read till weeks after a death so for pete's sake let somebodsy know-either with card in wallet- note on fridge- instructions with relative what you want done immediately with your pets.

As far as finding the best guardian for your pets after you die---we still don't know who to name as guardians for our children!!! Their older siblings will take care of them right away for a while but we haven't asked them nor do we want to ask them to take to raise grade school girls. I'm sure we aren't the only people in this kid of pickle.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
I have run into this question as it pertains to myself. My family does not live in the same state as I do and, consequently, the "emergency contact" info has always been difficult for me. As a solution, I always put down my general physician's number. After all, in an emergency, that really would be the first person I would want notified--you know, the one who knows the medical industry and my medical history better than anyone.

Hence, why not do the same for your pets? Call your vet (if you have one) and ask them if they wouldn't mind being an emergency contact for your pets. They already know everything about your pets (eating habits, home address, etc.) or, at least, will probably be able to figure it out. And some of the fancier places have boarding facilities that your animal can be taken to if you aren't able to get home immediately. They would (obviously) charge you (or your estate in the event of your death) but at least your animals would be in the most competent hands possible until more permanent arrangements could be made.

But that also brings up the issue of who will care for your pets in the event of your death; that really should be addressed. I have a will made up that specifically states a family member as "next-of-kin." And, until my pets can get to them, I have the number of my vet and a boarding facility on a card that I got from the ASPCA that I carry in my wallet.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:00 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I have run into this question as it pertains to myself. My family does not live in the same state as I do and, consequently, the "emergency contact" info has always been difficult for me. As a solution, I always put down my general physician's number. After all, in an emergency, that really would be the first person I would want notified--you know, the one who knows the medical industry and my medical history better than anyone.

Hence, why not do the same for your pets? Call your vet (if you have one) and ask them if they wouldn't mind being an emergency contact for your pets. They already know everything about your pets (eating habits, home address, etc.) or, at least, will probably be able to figure it out. And some of the fancier places have boarding facilities that your animal can be taken to if you aren't able to get home immediately. They would (obviously) charge you (or your estate in the event of your death) but at least your animals would be in the most competent hands possible until more permanent arrangements could be made.

But that also brings up the issue of who will care for your pets in the event of your death; that really should be addressed. I have a will made up that specifically states a family member as "next-of-kin." And, until my pets can get to them, I have the number of my vet and a boarding facility on a card that I got from the ASPCA that I carry in my wallet.
This is excellent advice except I have only taken one cat to the vet ONCE and that was in Colorado around 2005. My cats have never been to the vet where I am living now.

But I appreciate your thoughtful response.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats